• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

The ability to get a high angle of view, or even an aerial shot, makes a big difference in golf.

If disc golf could do that, and be covering multiple holes simultaneously, it would be....
well, much better.

I'm not convinced that it would be much of a spectator sport, but it would still be better.

The ability to get a high angle of view, or even an aerial shot, makes a big difference in golf.

If disc golf could do that, and be covering multiple holes simultaneously, it would be....
well, much better.

I'm not convinced that it would be much of a spectator sport, but it would still be better.

I don't think ball golf is much of a spectator sport on TV either.

I guess it goes to show you how much the equipment matters.

Equipment and bandwidth. Big difference between the picture the camera captures raw, whether it's an off the shelf HD camcorder or a state of the art 4K camera, and the one we see after the image has been sent through a cellular network then through a switcher then out through a broadband connection then through a server then to our devices of varying processor strengths and speeds.

Hard wired cameras feeding satellite uplinks have a hell of a lot more bandwidth to work with and thus don't have to compress and degrade the quality of the picture as much.

Obviously, millions of people feel differently.

I'm not particularly one of them. But I watch sometimes, and watching the putts curve and twist and fall with the slope of the greens is pretty amazing. I remember the days when TV would cover the last few holes, and follow players walking down the green; today's coverage, moving quickly from card to card, is vastly better.

well, much better.

Not joking here, really. Tree Stands. More along the lines of free-standing ones. But to get up 8-12' would be awesome. And a nice still shot.

latest

Not joking here, really. Tree Stands. More along the lines of free-standing ones. But to get up 8-12' would be awesome. And a nice still shot.

With zip lines between them, the cameraman can video the drives, then zip down to the area above the green and video the putts.

I just realized that bald eagle is set up optimally for ESPN coverage! Alert the ADGT, the next big event needs to be held here!!

I guess I'm alone here, but I never liked Billy Crump. I always thought he was creepy and felt sorry for Liz Carr. He always "close talked" her like crazy to the point where he looked liked a coked up dude with a ponytail trying to buy a young girl a gin and tonic.

He was also habitually wrong on what discs players were throwing or should be throwing and seemed to generally annoy everyone around him. I think he just looks sleazy and am glad he seems to have faded into obscurity.

I think the current announcers we have been seeing lately are light years ahead of him in representing the sport in a "this is all we were able to get" way.

I thought the job Dixon Jowers did for the Scandinavian Open was some of the best commentary work I've seen.

100 bucks for a vendor tent! That'll cover that ESPN bill.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-12-16-05-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-12-16-05-51.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 82

That says potential "car giveaway".

I would say the word potential followed by quotation marks around "car giveaway" is suspect as hell, considering the company "giving away" the car doesn't exist anymore.

never stopped old golf from being televised on a TV screen with the resolution of a nokia phone. it's true, like hockey it takes a bit of a trained eye to follow, but i also think adding a few cameras will help watching approaches come in.
it's also true that we expect much more than we ever did with video coverage

This brings up something I've been wondering about, and that is how much experience will this production crew have at actually filming disc golf? They may have the equipment, but experience filming DG will also be key. I'm sure CBS or whomever films and produces PGA events would not rely on a guy that normally films basketball manning a camera, just hoping he can pull it off.

"This will be the first time in disc golf history that a major tournament will be available live on a nationwide network."

Flat out lie. Plenty of other "major tournaments" have been streamed live online for the entire nation, or even world, to see.

"This will be the first time in disc golf history that a major tournament will be available live on a nationwide network."

Flat out lie. Plenty of other "major tournaments" have been streamed live online for the entire nation, or even world, to see.

Not a lie, just purposely worded to be misleading.

All the other streaming networks are Worldwide. ESPN3 is, ostensibly, a nationwide network.

YouTube is as much a "national network" as ESPN 3. This whole thing is built on deceiving people into thinking it's going to be on the cable box.

YouTube is as much a "national network" as ESPN 3. This whole thing is built on deceiving people into thinking it's going to be on the cable box.

Believe me, Im not taking their side.

The whole Tour and event are, as you said, built on deception. But they are getting pretty good at being technically correct. People who are new to the sport or are Salient supporters (yes, the exist) are cumming all over themselves on social media about this.

So to that end, its working. But that isnt enough to get 25k viewers. Not by a long shot.

This brings up something I've been wondering about, and that is how much experience will this production crew have at actually filming disc golf? They may have the equipment, but experience filming DG will also be key. I'm sure CBS or whomever films and produces PGA events would not rely on a guy that normally films basketball manning a camera, just hoping he can pull it off.

It's a very interesting question.