• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

I think we should stop being like CNN and wait to talk about it until may when said tournament is supposed to take place. Our brains will thank us for this....

ESPN3 isn't super legit--it's nice, but they get broadcasters who can't even properly call a football game. I can't imagine who they're going to get to do this.

"Oo. He's under a tree. He's going to throw something. Oo. Yup. He threw it right at the other trees."
Thus the "ADGT will provide a produced package" verbiage from the ESPN agreement. ESPN won't send their own people or cameras. ADGT will have to provide (or outsource) the cameras and commentators. In the Allthingsdiscgolf interview, Kilgus mentioned they are searching for a color commentator.
"ESPN has strict requirements when it comes to production crews and Satellite signals which require the production staff to be approved by ESPN networks. We are currently searching for a commentator/analyst. A few top choices are on our list but due to our NDA we have been unable to actively pursue those on our list."

As to JNichols' quote:

I think most people that want to "grow the sport" genuinely want to see that happen. I think the negativity is coming from the fact that that persons/company that are now trying to be the face of growing the sport on a nationally televised network have a worse track record in customer service than Comcast, and are basically the most negatively viewed persons/company in Disc Golf. That recipe, to me, translates into warranted worry over what kind of exposure disc golf gets in their "revolutionary" new platform for growing the sport.

I think we need to pump the brakes on this idea that somehow Salient is going to ruin the growth of disc golf by having it on ESPN THREE. It's ESPN THREE, which is still just online streaming. Plus, it's on a Saturday afternoon in May, when people will be out doing things other than surfing ESPN 3 for their content.

I was only putting out my view point of why there is already so much Negativity towards this, from most. I am not saying that Kilgus/Salient is going to kill growing the sport. Just trying to say that I can't believe we should expect much from the track record provided. That's all. :D

^^Exactly. Only thing to get up in arms about is the ESPN label. But in essence this is the same as any live-streaming done on smashboxx et al.

While true, I think the biggest result is getting the product in front of ESPN's eyes and (hopefully) showing them that there's an audience. Then the ESPN higher-ups could get excited about it and push for further events. I don't think Smashboxx's work on YouTube will get the same results.

Nate, plenty of people were negative prior to and after your event, but that didn't stop you, correct?

I wasn't trying to say anything negative - I was just commenting that I was surprised at the usage of the name. It was just a thought on the event trying to seem like it was the "National" Open, when we already have a National Open.

And to be fair, people were negative after my event! :)

I haven't really said anything negative yet; I am intrigued where this goes. However, after reading the article I just have some doubts about this. With Dana outing this guy as a cheater and then his comment about "millions" I just feel its important to get more information on this. The largest disc golf broadcast at this time has been probably 7,000 to 8,000.

I was only putting out my view point of why there is already so much Negativity towards this, from most. I am not saying that Kilgus/Salient is going to kill growing the sport. Just trying to say that I can't believe we should expect much from the track record provided. That's all. :D

Gotcha, that makes sense.

While true, I think the biggest result is getting the product in front of ESPN's eyes and (hopefully) showing them that there's an audience. Then the ESPN higher-ups could get excited about it and push for further events. I don't think Smashboxx's work on YouTube will get the same results.

Fair enough. However, I am of the mind that disc golf doesn't really need to be on ESPN in order to grow. Look at all of the new media and how everyone is going toward streaming, anyway. It might help or hurt to have ESPN eyes on it, but there are plenty of other platforms for success if this flames out.

I think we need to pump the brakes on this idea that somehow Salient is going to ruin the growth of disc golf by having it on ESPN THREE. It's ESPN THREE, which is still just online streaming. Plus, it's on a Saturday afternoon in May, when people will be out doing things other than surfing ESPN 3 for their content.

Could the event be a total flop? Of course. But this notion that a flop will set disc golf back is relying too heavily on it being on ESPN. Remember, it's not ESPN proper here. It's still just online.

It's actually on Sunday, and ESPN U is not streaming, it's a real ESPN broadcast channel.

From wiki:

ESPNU is an American digital cable and satellite sports television channel that is owned by ESPN Inc., a joint venture between the Disney–ABC Television Group division of The Walt Disney Company (which owns a controlling 80% stake) and the Hearst Corporation (which owns the remaining 20%). The channel is primarily dedicated to coverage of college athletics, and is also used as an additional outlet for general ESPN programming. ESPNU is based alongside ESPN Plus at its headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina.

As of February 2015, ESPNU is available to approximately 73,594,000 pay television households (63.2% of households with at least one television set) in the United States.[1]

Last edited:
It's actually on Sunday, and ESPN U is not streaming, it's a real ESPN broadcast channel.

My point still stands. It's on a weekend during the beginning of summer. Not exactly primetime, and still on the lower end of the ESPN spectrum. And ESPN3, which ADGT listed first in their article, is streaming only.

But what if it works?

Jethro Clampett comes down from the hills throwing his Aerobie Epic 700 feet.

I want this to happen.

ESPNU carried the women's ultimate college championship this year. The presentation was about public access quality. It is a HUGE shame to waste the opportunity on this clown show, but a bad job probably won't be looked at too harshly as far as the sport is concerned.

My point still stands. It's on a weekend during the beginning of summer. Not exactly primetime, and still on the lower end of the ESPN spectrum. And ESPN3, which ADGT listed first in their article, is streaming only.

It's actually in the spring, and Sunday at 1pm ET for a live golf event is as prime time as it gets (if it truly will be broadcast on ESPN U, which I have my doubts about).

And I am not a fan of Salient at all, my one experience dealing with them was less than positive.

ESPNU is their college outlet, and typically any non-college programming is over-flow from their other networks. I would expect other programming would have priority there, so any promises ESPN might make to put the tournament on ESPNU is couched with all kinds of ifs and buts (e.g. if there's no other games to broadcast, if there's a guarantee of X viewers, etc). Just as an example, my alma mater is a fringey Division I school that will list ESPN3/ESPNU on their schedule for a televised football game, just like Salient is doing, but very very rarely is the game actually aired on ESPNU. Almost always, it is only available on the live streaming ESPN3 outlet. So I'd bet very heavily against this disc golf live coverage actually getting on ESPNU.

Those rules-of-play on the website are laughable. They may as well use the standard DGA sign.

Color-rules-sign-close-up.jpg

Saying that their broadcast will reach "millions" is grossly misleading and dishonest. Just because millions of people have access to ESPN and their network, that doesn't justify that claim.

The USDGC was available online this year, but nobody says that the USDGC reached "billions" of people just because of the number of worldwide internet users.

ESPNU is their college outlet, and typically any non-college programming is over-flow from their other networks. I would expect other programming would have priority there, so any promises ESPN might make to put the tournament on ESPNU is couched with all kinds of ifs and buts (e.g. if there's no other games to broadcast, if there's a guarantee of X viewers, etc). Just as an example, my alma mater is a fringey Division I school that will list ESPN3/ESPNU on their schedule for a televised football game, just like Salient is doing, but very very rarely is the game actually aired on ESPNU. Almost always, it is only available on the live streaming ESPN3 outlet. So I'd bet very heavily against this disc golf live coverage actually getting on ESPNU.

Ok that makes sense -- but maybe the uniqueness of the sport will sway them to actually broadcast it. In any case, it would be cool to see it in the programming guide a couple days before the event, even if it ultimately does get bounced for something else.

It's the tech standards for discs for this tour that are really boggling my mind.. rim widths up to 2.75cm allowed.. and perforations (holes) in the flight plate up to 3 inches (note: why both Metric and American units?!) allowed! I understand the desire to directly utilize ball golf courses (and lengths), but due to the PDGA standards, these kinds of discs don't actually exist (yet?).

It's the tech standards for discs for this tour that are really boggling my mind.. rim widths up to 2.75cm allowed.. and perforations (holes) in the flight plate up to 3 inches (note: why both Metric and American units?!) allowed! I understand the desire to directly utilize ball golf courses (and lengths), but due to the PDGA standards, these kinds of discs don't actually exist (yet?).

I have a Salient disc with lots of holes in it, but it doesn't fly so good :|

It's actually in the spring, and Sunday at 1pm ET for a live golf event is as prime time as it gets (if it truly will be broadcast on ESPN U, which I have my doubts about).

And I am not a fan of Salient at all, my one experience dealing with them was less than positive.

I don't know about you, but Sunday at 1 p.m. or whatever time it is where you live in the U.S. is prime get-your-ass-out-on-the-course-and-PLAY time. I have a hard time envisioning a large viewership.

This. It'll be streamed, and we already have streaming options.

Honestly, I don't see this thing moving the needle much one way or the other. The Disc Golf Pro Tour Facebook page had like 2,000 likes on it the first day. American Disc Golf Tour is at 281. Not saying Facebook is the end-all be-all, but it's a good indicator.

For me, it's just the need for separate tech standards and rules of play that boggle my mind. I can fully understand wanting to run an independent, non-sanctioned tournament. One of the biggest NTs on the schedule began as one (Maple Hill), and if I remember correctly, so did the USDGC (or at least, it wasn't a major from year 1).

However, why re-invent the wheel as far as rules and tech goes? If there are certain rules with which you have issue, you're free to modify them for your non-sanctioned tournament without needing to create a whole new rule book. Just seems like a lot of cart-before-the-horse type stuff to me.

A few additional thoughts:

As a consumer, I would be hesitant to spend any of my hard earned money on what initially appears to be a fly-by-night venture. There have been many instances in the recent years of pre-order fiascos, people receiving incorrect product, or blatant cash grabs mostly from these "start-up" disc golf companies.

Related to this, I find it troubling that while this appears to be managed by employees of Salient, it is being considered a separate business entity from Salient (as stated on last nights Smashboxx broadcast). This is a red flag for me in that if this whole venture goes down in flames after consumers have fronted money, the Salient disc golf business is potentially shielded from any legal backlash as it is a separate company. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.) This in itself leads me to believe this is all a money making scheme where there will be no end product.

I find it slightly deceptive that there website taglines continue to tout that this will be broadcast on "ESPN" networks. I suppose that's true, but upon first read I think many are thinking "SWEET! ESPN!) As stated, it is likely to be ESPN3 or ESPN-U, and I feel should be stated as such; "American DG Tour, Broadcast on ESPN3"

Lastly, you'll notice above I use the word "broadcast" instead of "live". In the photo of the envelope posted on Twitter, a small portion of the contract can be read. Under 2.0 Program you can clearly read the following; "Licensor will provide to ESPN one fully-produced audio-video program comprised of...". I'm not sure if that is to be interpreted as a recording, as I suppose you can provide a fully-produced audio-video programs live as well. That's probably my weakest point provided. Just like the network the PDGA partnered with for the initial broadcast of a 30-min disc golf program, it was pre-recorded and edited.

Time will tell, but I'm going with BUYER BEWARE on this one...