• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Even if there weren't questions and doubts, it would be unlikely that anyone has signed up. The news has been out about 40 hours. The invitees have 43 more days to make a decision.
Apparently one player who posted on FB has paid the $300 entry.

Also just sent them an email reguarding their buy a disc get entered into a raffle. The way that they have it set up it is illegal, they need to have a no purchase necessary option to make it legal, so if you guys want to be eneterd I would suggest sending them an email. I have no intention on playing but they should really be doing things right.

Should we even be talking about this event on this website? I mean they are changing the rules of the sport... I'm not sure this can still be classified as "Disc Golf". I think this is more like "frisbee golf".

12196035_1182079888472443_2017013738147819511_n.jpg

Perhaps it's a verbal commitment. "Yeah, I'm interested." I'll bet if you talk to top pros and ask if they're interested in a tournament with a record payout and ESPN coverage, their immediate answer is "Yes, I'll be there!". Of course, like most of this, I could be completely wrong.

Found him. I forget his name is The Hammer not just Hammer. The search tools on this site trip me up sometimes.

I am surprised....by any surprise, that many pros would find this attractive. Might be a risk of 300.00, but probably not much of one. A chance at a big payday and potential TV exposure for themselves and the game? I don't know the downside for a touring pro....outside of travel.

I am surprised....by any surprise, that many pros would find this attractive. Might be a risk of 300.00, but probably not much of one. A chance at a big payday and potential TV exposure for themselves and the game? I don't know the downside for a touring pro....outside of travel.

I doubt that many touring pros would have to pay for their entry fee. Most sponsorships include entry fees.

So you're right - outside of travel, there's not much risk. The biggest risk might be associating themselves with a potentially sub-par endeavor.

It's become pretty clear from interviews that outside of the top 3-5 finishers, it's a scramble to break even at tournaments for travelling pros. Throw in that this is the highest entry fee, adds a ton of travel mileage on to what would otherwise be a trip from the Midwest to California, there's two other really good tournaments going on at the same time between the Midwest and California, payout and payout structure hasn't been announced, added cash hasn't been announced, half the entry money is going to media, this tournament doesn't have to follow PDGA standards for payout, there's literally no oversight by any governing body over money management for this event, and the fact that this is being run by a sketchy guy that may not handle the money properly anyways and I'd say there's plenty of risk.

Last edited:
I doubt that many touring pros would have to pay for their entry fee. Most sponsorships include entry fees.

So you're right - outside of travel, there's not much risk. The biggest risk might be associating themselves with a potentially sub-par endeavor.

A lot of the interviews that have come out this year have said that no one except maybe the top couple guys are getting entry fees covered.

A lot of the interviews that have come out this year have said that no one except maybe the top couple guys are getting entry fees covered.

That's surprising to me. I'm a mid-level player sponsored by Daredevil Discs and they cover my entry fees. As a smaller company, I figured that was the industry standard.

Colour me grateful.

Depending on who the player is and their sponsorship with company XYZ that is mostly the case. What I've seen most sponsorships entail for non-elite players at least is a set amount of money for merch so they can get what they like, a set bonus structure for finishes at events (NT,M,A,B tiers. Not too many bonuses for C tiers), and a set amount of money to cover entry fees for whatever tournaments the player wants to attend. Some don't even cover the entry fee even to the events that the sponsor themselves is running.

Whatever happens I hope it is not negative for the sport. What I don't get is trying to write new rules. It took the PDGA a long time to work out specific details and wording, and many of us can immediately point out issues in their (very short) rules, and hypothetical situations where issues will occur. Just begs for issues, although the "spotter" can overrule the group (weird.) could take care of that I guess!!

Who knows Dave Feldberg, can we get confirmation that he is playing?

Yes, Dave is signed up, just in case it is for real. He doesn't know either way, but if it does happen and it's on ESPN, he'd be kicking himself if he didn't play.

Latest posts