• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

We will be posting registered players for the American Open on 1/14/2016. At that time any spots not filled will be open to any players interested in competing regardless of skill level. We value competition and hope the DG community understands this is our audition on ESPN3 for the chance to move up to prime time on ESPN and ESPN2 in the future. It is important we support the event to its maximal potential.
----ADGT Staff

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Went from the middle of December, to the first week of January, and now the middle of January...

This event is not going to happen. Or it's going to be a 20 player field with Feldy and Wysocki duking it out, if that's even economically possible for them.

Despite the ADGT's claims, it's not the community's job to make it happen.

It was incumbent on them to plan an attractive, competitive event, and they failed to do that, mostly by circumventing the PDGA. Their past history just added to the stink of failure. Planning it the same year as two other new tours by established people didn't help either. So stupid.

I think it will sell out, but with mostly local players.

I agree with this. If it was local, I would be awefully tempted. Being on ESPN3 as an advanced player is nothing but good publicity for me even if it is 3. Chances it would not be more than a throw or two, but it only takes a good throw or two to make a highlight reel.

I think it will sell out, but with mostly local players.

Maybe. Just not seeing it happen, especially with the cost.

I agree with this. If it was local, I would be awefully tempted. Being on ESPN3 as an advanced player is nothing but good publicity for me even if it is 3. Chances it would not be more than a throw or two, but it only takes a good throw or two to make a highlight reel.

I think that's a pretty stupid reason to sign up; this is disc golf on ESPN3, not the NFL combine. Publicity for what?

It's going to be a bunch of local and semi-local hacks with money to burn who want to be on the ESPN's.

You might get a handful of recognizable pros, who have the support to be on either end of the country within a very short time frame (and know they will win against the lower level "pros").

It speaks volumes to who and how many have registered when they keep pushing the date back and now opening it up to any skill level.

So basically a "Rec" player with some cash will probably end up getting airtime shanking their drive into a pond.

It speaks volumes to who and how many have registered when they keep pushing the date back and now opening it up to any skill level.

It was always going to be open to any skill level---after a period in which spots were reserved for invited players. I suspect you're right about the numbers; if so, they may reflect doubts about the endeavor, or just a mistaken presumption on the part of ADGT that people would sign up 5 months in advance.

At $375 per?

Filling with locals might be a bigger challenge than drawing the top pros, who at least expect to win their entries back.

David, it's "only" $299 not $375. And that includes a Salient backpack bag, Salient shoes, and free membership to the ADGT for the first year.

I'm not remotely tempted as an advanced level local. Because there is zero guaranteed payout. They haven't even convinced me that they are actually going to HAVE an event, let alone that they will actually pay anything out even if the event runs as promised. I don't care how soft the field would be, I would never play it because these jokers aren't going to convince me that they won't take the entry fees and run.

Pbmercil hit it on the head with the last sentence. I have the money, I have the free time, and I am horrid at disc golf. If there was any guarentee that they will actually pull this off, I would play...to ram it down Salient's throat if nothing else.

But chances are that even if they dont cut and run, that money isnt going back into the event.

The whole thing is a shame, really.

David, it's "only" $299 not $375. And that includes a Salient backpack bag, Salient shoes, and free membership to the ADGT for the first year.

They've been a bit ambiguous as to whether that free membership goes to all pros, or just the invited ones.

Either way, I doubt a lot of locals will pony up $300. Disc golfers are here are cheap---like everywhere. Some might.....but enough to fill?

Cause salient always delivers on there promises.

If they do follow through with this and the event does go south I could see them saying "well you got a bag and shoes so there won't be a refund" to this who were entered

So basically a "Rec" player with some cash will probably end up getting airtime shanking their drive into a pond.

How do we even know who are hacks and who are pro's if there are no ratings for any ADGT events yet? There's no system that could possibly tell us how good somebody is from an established organization that could help us out...

Maybe. Just not seeing it happen, especially with the cost.

I think that's a pretty stupid reason to sign up; this is disc golf on ESPN3, not the NFL combine. Publicity for what?

Never said it was necessarily a smart reason, and maybe publicity is the wrong word. Better words would be local minor notoriety. Again, the caveat would have to be that it would be local. At the end of the day, I would like do it if for no other reason than to say to myself that I did it and I have film of me doing it. Even if it is obscure, hard-to-find film that will likely not reach anyone else, I am sure I could rip it from the internet. Yeah, I can and have filmed myself and my friends throwing, that way when I am incredibly old, say something like 110, and can no longer throw that I have something to look back on and feel nostalgic, but there is something about having that five seconds of "fame", even if it is self-perceived.

I am sure there would be several locals who would sign up for the fun of it, others because they truly believe that they can cash, and some just hoping to be carded with the few pros who do show up.

One of the Salient guys cussed me out on Facebook because I didn't agree with their Tourney and Ricky Wysocki's support of it. Support professional folks.

Latest posts