• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

David...if they did that, it would be the smartest thing that the Salient crew has ever done. I might actually watch if they did something akin to that. It would really be a good start.

The "with a little humility" part might be the dealbreaker, though.

But this is what I was faintly hoping for, all along. I like some of the Salient guys and have had no issues with any of them. I respect them for trying to do something big. But I wish they'd do it differently, where it would have---in my humble opinion---at least a chance of some kind of success.

The "with a little humility" part might be the dealbreaker, though.

But this is what I was faintly hoping for, all along. I like some of the Salient guys and have had no issues with any of them. I respect them for trying to do something big. But I wish they'd do it differently, where it would have---in my humble opinion---at least a chance of some kind of success.

I like the one-off event idea. I know they have run local tourneys and a series or whatever, but by and large it doesn't seem like the Salient crew has experience running a large event or tour. I mean, look at the DG Pro Tour and DG World Tour: Both are run by people with vast experience running single events, and now they have branched out into tours. The experience matters, and you don't see all the hiccups and criticism of those events because they are being well-managed.

Yep, the tour seems to have very little confidence from anyone. They would probably have to take a loss on the first tour and pay the top pros to play in order to prove they can pull it off. And then the following year they can start recouping their investments. Hell, that's what I would do the first tour at least. Ante up some bucks, pay the top pros to play, guarantee a good show to prove your format works!

Trying to launch a tour like that and not expecting to lose money for at least the first few years is insane. a reasonable yet still optimistic plan might involve becoming profitable in year 4 or 5 and recouping the investment by year 7-10

Thanks, Consult20!

No problem David.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but personally I was hoping this event actually would happen, and maybe it still will in some fashion. It's hard not to be critical though, even if you've tried to be neutral on the whole thing. The website fiasco is one thing, but to take down the fb page either voluntarily or involuntarily is a really bad sign to say the least. It just leaves them open to more speculation and criticism.

Trying to launch a tour like that and not expecting to lose money for at least the first few years is insane. a reasonable yet still optimistic plan might involve becoming profitable in year 4 or 5 and recouping the investment by year 7-10

Long term intelligent financial planning and disc golf are two subjects that don't mix well

I wonder if any of the companies sent in discs to be approved?...

Apart from Salient? ;)

FWIW I was hoping that it was going to happen to maybe repair some of the black eyes that Salient have inflicted on themselves with certain transactions that have been well documented but went south. They seem to be the outcasts of the DG world and I would like to have seen that be somewhat repaired, DG is a small enough community that working outside the PDGA would be difficult as there really is not big enough for 2 rival players groupings.

I am pro-PDGA without joining thus far but that is down to my status as a newbie, I was not going to embarrass myself playing a tournament whilst so new last year and any tournaments I plan to play will be local deals while I get the feel of the local DG people in my area. That being said I will probably join Jan 2017 should I do enough in 2016 to justify doing so.

I don't know any of the Salient guys personally and actually only researched the bad rep of Salient after I asked my question about Team Salient on the other board. They certainly need a PR makeover and I hope that happens because if the product is good then I would hope that they would grow out of their teething troubles. :doh:

... Starting with a new website that started with something like, "With insight and input from the broader disc golf community, we have revised the ADGT Open, and proudly announce...."

I'm confident that's not what's going on but.....who knows?

I'm sure they would rather burn in hades than swallow that much pride in regards to this little slice of "the broader disc golf community".

Goodbye Social Media

Has anyone been able to access the facebook page today. I can't, I know they were having issues with the main site but didn't think it was affecting the facebook as well

Has anyone been able to access the facebook page today. I can't, I know they were having issues with the main site but didn't think it was affecting the facebook as well

Its been taken down, by who we dont know.

Have followed this thread since it started. As stated before, have never had any dealings with Salient. I am amazed at how many of you seem to want them to fail with this "tour". With every step back, y'all seem giddy. Very strange.

Aside from this thread, Salient can't even get local players to play their local tourneys. Their reputation was not only earned online, but apparently on the course as well.

Seriously, if you can't get your hometown players to show up at a 1 day, why would you approach something this bold in such an arrogant and heavy-handed manner?

You've bled the scene dry all you can, Salient. Time to move on.

I just wanna say, every one of you *******s in here that said they'd fail at this...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 39
Check it out, something's going on...

Attachments

• E112F368-3E61-42E4-891F-7DFBEC3980BC.jpg
    E112F368-3E61-42E4-891F-7DFBEC3980BC.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 130
Maybe they just made it a private webpage and Facebook page for those who have signed up. Probably sick of dealing with people like us at every turn.

Maybe they just made it a private webpage and Facebook page for those who have signed up. Probably sick of dealing with people like us at every turn.

That's certainly possible. Who wants to call them up and blow 300 bucks just to find out if big country's theory is correct?

...From a journalistic standpoint, this is one of those times where I wish disc golf were big enough to justify a salary for me so I could spend copious amounts of time writing a longform article on the rise and stall (not quite willing to say fall just yet) of this venture...Methinks it would be entertaining.

I'll bet the PDGA mag would run it, and I know we'd read it.

Latest posts