• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

No, they bought the Liberty Basket, but this sounds different.

This will DEBUT on the the first day of the May broadcast.

Nothing like putting at a never-before-seen basket on internationally (streamed) television

Oic, well no wonder the Jeep is the ace prize!

Gotta love this pic -- hot chick burning one wearing the shades...

JRLvxAB.jpg

So, ESPN3 is a streaming only service, that nobody watches anyways, why is this such a big deal ?
We have good people doing video now, I'm sure the ESPN production team could learn things from them.
If this was televised, it would be a much bigger deal. Yesterday they had curling on. Curling ! Wouldnt people rather watch a competitive round of disc golf ?

It is, but things like the Crossfit Games have started on ESPN3 and then shifted over to ESPN2 during fairly good/watched hours, so that's a potential big plus.

DG will likely never reach the potential that CF has. CF caught fire and has million dollar sponsors.

DG will likely never reach the potential that CF has. CF caught fire and has million dollar sponsors.

And legions of Facebookers/Tweeters/Instagramers posting about how awesome their last deadlift was or how ripped they are brah! :sick::doh:

What's wrong with people working out until they put themselves in the hospital?

Your just jealous of their commitment to fitness, bro.

I know, I know. I guess I just enjoy being able to walk upright.

This is about all you're gonna get...
Overpriced, under trained trainers, injury prone, reps before form, quantity before quality, cheaper space rental + cheaper equipment=more monthly cost? Cult. Cult. Cult. If I'm seen doing a burpee in the gym I instantly get questions about crossfit. When I go bench or squat, I'm instantly asked questions about cross fit, and why am I only doing 3-6 reps with 405 and not 20 reps with 225. I dropped weight for a national meet in 2013 and had a guy approach me saying he wanted to put me in an article he was writing on how crossfit helped me lose weight when in fact, I never touched crossift. Keto and fasted cardio did that for me, never crossfit.
Crossfit is great, it's awesome if done responsibly and correctly. The issue is all the bro's out there spreading bro science to their bro's and thinking that it's crossfit or death. Honestly, no one gives a **** that you can do 10 horribly out of form pull ups. We only care that when you snap your **** up, don't do it in the squat rack. I'm an old school type powerlifter who never got bitten by that crossfit disease, thankfully. It's done some great things for some people, but those people aren't the weekend warriors who decided on some idle Tuesday they're finally going to try to get in shape and joined their local "box". I've dropped sponsors because they went all crossfit and I just had no interest in doing that to myself.

Looking at that, it's really weak, but I'm tired and don't want to get the blood boiling too much in a Sunday before I've had my coffee. Sorry lads.

I don't know anything about this "CF" thing, but I bet 5 (10?) years ago they said the same thing about their thing related to some other thing that was making it big.

I've done CF since 2004 injury free. I'm just popping some popcorn and enjoying people who don't know very much about what they're talking about give their opinions. Isn't that what the interwebz is for?

CF grew initially because of the emphasis on creating a sense of community at a local level. DG also does a great job of that, how many of us love going to our local course and knowing most of the people there?

The 2nd wave of growth was propelled by the CrossFit Games and sex appeal. CF was still relatively fringe when some big sponsorship money came. The growth was already exponential but it was like pouring gas on a fire to put those sexy bodies on ESPN.

What's my point? DG lacks sex appeal, and unlike CF it's not 65% female. Until those two hurdles get jumped on TV it's basically bowling.

I don't know anything about this "CF" thing, but I bet 5 (10?) years ago they said the same thing about their thing related to some other thing that was making it big.

On the other hand, how many activities are out there whose participants have said, "We can make it mainstream", but never did?

Those who believe disc golf can and should be a mainstream spectator sport, like to cite other fringe sports that made it, at least for a while. But I'll bet there are far more sports that are like disc golf---a big deal to those involved, but never destined for the Big Time. I run into them occasionally, and am pretty sure there are many more that I have never heard of.

I've been involved with cross fit, their trainers and facilities since 2008, not quite as long, but long enough. I'm not completely anti cf, but I do laugh at their "trainers" and their ability to turn someone in to a pretzel. You being injury free is great for you, just realize there are many, many more who don't share your luck. I've been NSCA Certified since 2008, and when THE council on strength and conditioning in the US has a problem with cross fit and their teachings, you can kind of guess there's something wrong. As I've stated, if done correctly, it's a great program and can lead to astounding physical fitness, but when the way most boxes preach, lecture and scold their members in to doing, it doesn't end pretty. And when Mr. Glassman says everything anyone has ever done in fitness has been wrong up until he created cross fit...seems a bit odd no?

The 2nd wave of growth was propelled by the CrossFit Games and sex appeal. CF was still relatively fringe when some big sponsorship money came. The growth was already exponential but it was like pouring gas on a fire to put those sexy bodies on ESPN.

What's my point? DG lacks sex appeal, and unlike CF it's not 65% female. Until those two hurdles get jumped on TV it's basically bowling.

There's also the very key element that CF is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to film and broadcast than disc golf. Everything is contained in the arena/gym, not spread out over acres of territory in the woods. You can arguably cover an entire event (not just isolated competitors) with a couple cameras.

While CF certainly has a broader audience and more cash flow, they also have a much lower hurdle to get over to provide high quality event coverage, live or taped.

Plus the fact that feats of strength and endurance have been contested, and cheered, since humans first walked the Earth.
There's no comparing the appeal.

Latest posts