• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An appropriate Username...again :(

Broken Shoulder

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Bought some new plastic at GGGT today and was doing some fieldwork.
Foot slipped on my plant, arms windmilled a little, and I threw my Comet four feet to my right. The attached photo shows what my shoulder looked like for three hours tonight when I couldn't reduce it myself, and then Urgent care couldn't reduce it. Ambulance ride to the ER and finally got it back into the socket.
Crap.

Attachments

• IMG950251.jpg
    IMG950251.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 507
:thmbup:

yeah for sure! how the hell did this exacly happen? I am trying to picture what you mentioned but it sounds terribly painful.

It is painful. It's my seventh anterior dislocation of that shoulder, so I'm more prone to it. If I get my hand up higher than shoulder level, any force at the wrong angle and it dislocates. In this case my foot slipped out, and I tried aborting the throw, but my arm went up and windmilled and it slid out of the joint. The tendons and ligaments are all sloppy and the muscles weak, so they don't hold anything in place very well anymore.

I read your post in the other "username" thread, so I know about your many past shoulder injuries. Man, I feel bad for you. My worst fear is that i might injure my shoulder/elbow/knee and be unable to play. At my age (58) we don't recover as quickly, and i'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't play. I'd have to find something I probably wouldn't enjoy as much. I hope you recover as quickly as possible.

How much is that ambulance ride going to be? Yikes :gross:

Feel better dude!

Had a similar problem. A few times I threw too hard (Foolishly listened to bad advice on throwing technique) and my shoulder subluxed (slipped out and back into place). A trip to the doctor revealed I tore my shoulder. One surgery, many months of physical therapy, and a lot of time in a sling later it's still a long road of recovery.

This one was unique in that I've always been able to reduce it myself or have it reduced inside of an hour. Never taken the pain meds or been sedated for it as I've been able to relax enough to let it be reduced. But it just wouldn't go back in this time, and after three hours of it being out of joint, I was done. Raised the white flag and told them to put me out. Apparently, I was out for about thirty seconds and as soon as the doctor reduced it I was awake again and making jokes, though I don't remember all of it.

Pretty sore today, but I've been down this road before. Take it easy and take some ibuprofen and I'll be all right.

What really sucks is I was working on some form changes to throw much smoother and had just put a Comet out around 375' with a tailwind, so I was pretty excited about my progress. Oh well, tournies were done for the year anyway.

I appreciate the well wishes. :thmbup:

Could've been worse...could've been much worse!

FvKv5xt.gif

Sorry to hear this time was so bad. Take care of yourself, young man.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

Sounds like you've been down this road many times before and know more or less what to expect.

Heal up!!! :)

Latest posts