• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Mako fans?

It's a great standstill approach disc. I don't use mine much anymore but every time I do pull it out on the course, after my throw I'm always like "wow, why I don't throw this disc more?" I have a pretty light Star one. 171 g. Wish I woulda gone 180.

I have one and go back and forth with it. Sometimes I throw it well, other times not so much. I liked the tip about it being more of a finesse disc so I will try a softer motion next time I play. Overall, I do like the disc.

Ya know, I'm a die-hard fan of the Coyote (VERY similar to mako, sorry for thread jacking). Its interesting, I started playing around the time it was released, Champion coyotes were flat, and DX's were everywhere. I absolutely love the disc. I do a plethora of things with it on the course. I however never putt with the coyote. Some of my best moves with the coyote are standstill mid range/drives. Other discs "hold the line" but not like Coyotes/Makos

I must say, my love and skill for this disc has simply come from me throwing it ever since I started playing disc golf. I probably could of picked another random disc and "grew up" with it. The coyote just managed to find a special place in my heart AND my bag. It goes to show with the whole plastic/skill debate....

"Its the Indian, not the arrow"

thats my $.02

I realy like my star mako's. Throw'em straight=they go straight. I got a 300ft ace with my first run star mako, went like a lazer beam!! They can be very tricky in a head wind and I usualy wont throw it into the wind, tail wind is ok tho. I only use my mako in 1 disc tourneys, its good enough for 300ft, and its almost like a putter anyways!!!

i throw both a 172 Star and a 180 Star. I love them for those tight approach shots when pin point accuracy is needed. However you release it, it holds the line. I only look for flat Mako's, can't stand the domey ones.

I have a couple makos. a star 169 that flies straight as an arrow or holds lines great. I also have a champ 180 that has more turn and more fade then my star. I got my make when i lost my champ coyote and the store didn't have any more.

I too like the Mako. If I had the arm to get more distance out of it than I get from a putter, I would be carrying it. As it is, it just overlaps too much for me with the aviar, and I prefer the smaller diameter disc for threading tight lines.

I liked the glide but not the dome...I also prefer baseline plastics on my approach discs so the star platic really didn't do it for me. I have seen some amazing shots with it and definitely would recommend it to a new player looking for that reliable straight shot.

Ya know, I'm a die-hard fan of the Coyote (VERY similar to mako, sorry for thread jacking). Its interesting, I started playing around the time it was released, Champion coyotes were flat, and DX's were everywhere. I absolutely love the disc. I do a plethora of things with it on the course. I however never putt with the coyote. Some of my best moves with the coyote are standstill mid range/drives. Other discs "hold the line" but not like Coyotes/Makos

I must say, my love and skill for this disc has simply come from me throwing it ever since I started playing disc golf. I probably could of picked another random disc and "grew up" with it. The coyote just managed to find a special place in my heart AND my bag. It goes to show with the whole plastic/skill debate....

"Its the Indian, not the arrow"

thats my $.02

To me that disc you speak of is an old flat top panther, probably why my mako doesnt get in the bag too much - I think it must be whatever mid you first pic up and bond with!

Ya, I carry the multipurpose panther. It was in my 3 disc starter pack when I started playing years ago. It goes farther for me and handles wind better than a mako. It has more turn and fade too, so I can shape different lines with it than an aviar or mako.

how do the makos break in? they are so accurate they haven't hit much and still look new.

it takes a while to break them in, they will eventually get flippy but it'll take a few good months of tree smacks before you probably see even small signs of that. mine tend to lose a bit of fade pretty soon and then just stay there.

i only try to buy flat gummy makos though. the echo stars and champs are more stable, i tried to beat an echo in for a while to where i wanted it and it wouldn't so i gave up on it.

Coyote v. Mako

For the longest time, my near-max weight champ Coyote was my default go-to mid for any approach shot that required a (mostly) straight or steady subtle-line throw.

Then one day I found a near-max weight star Mako, read/saw that it had similar stats to a Coyote, and decided to give it a one-month "trial" as my primary approach disc.

It performed great! Both discs pretty much play the same for me, so I typically just alternate between them every few months.

1st run star Mako's are nice and flat. I never leave home without one!

yeah, if the Mako isn't flat, don't bother. my friend has one that is just as domey as his skeeter and its garbage.

A friend of mine plays the mako. It's closer to my favourite midrange ( the buzzz ) than 95% of the Roc's I ever tried. So if I didnt play discraft mids, I'd probably use the mako.

the last few days I have been training a 3 month old puppy to go with me to the park so I have been only playing with 2 disc and the Mako is one. I have been pairing it with a gm. The mako can even handle putting duties.

I love my Mako.. Got one for Christmas. I only took it to the course once but on my first or second throw (cant remember) it was a 100ft shot at least. The disc felt perfect. My release took it right to the basket. It somehow hit 2 chains and the inside of the basket... Then bounced out lol. Either way I put my Mako ahead of my Buzzz... Although I have not picked up my ESP Buzzz FLX yet..

Back from the depths...

Just curious if anyone has tossed the new bottom-stamped Mako and can report on its flight. MSt claims they are flatter than normal production runs...

In related news, I apparently am mid-shopping and have a problem with plastic. :doh:

Latest posts