• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Mako fans?

Ive bought my champ Makos from whomever had them available....directly from TDs. I ran the 2010 Chainsaw so I got mine from the ones I ordered.

I've had a Mako in my bag almost constantly since they came out. They're a killer good approach disc, I feel like they settle down really nicely next to the basket.

I didn't read all 9 pages, but I would like to mention that the Mako is a very solid turbo putt disc as well. I like to turbo with a Mako or Buzzz, Mako is better for straighter and more glide. Also, a great disc to hold the line you throw it on for those of us that still have trouble with our snap.

I like the idea of the mako, but I'd fill this slot with beat dx shark more easily. It just takes too long to get the star mako to break in. I dream of dx makos.

I like the idea of the mako, but I'd fill this slot with beat dx shark more easily. It just takes too long to get the star mako to break in. I dream of dx makos.

I asked a couple of my buddies that work at Innova about DX Makos. They said Innova has tested a DX Mako but they havent held up to testing. I am looking forward to the release of the Mako3 later this year.

I got a Star 175 that's been coming in and out of the bag for the past month. I really like the way it feels in my hands and floats through the air. Yes, makos are best known for flying straight, but they can hold gently forward penetrating hyzer or anny shots too. It glides like a putter with the speed of a mid.

Last edited:
Loved the mako. I converted to a truth because of the bead. If they made the mako in a beaded model I wouldn't changed to the truth.

I use the Mako3 a lot for straight approaches and even shaping good annie/hyzer shots from the tee on shorter holes. This is my "get my self out of trouble" disc. I am a big Roc thrower, but I could see carrying two Champ Mako3's (1 - fresh and 1 - beat) along with a Roc3 in place of my 3 DX Rocs, Mako3 and Roc3 that I currently bag.

I asked a couple of my buddies that work at Innova about DX Makos. They said Innova has tested a DX Mako but they havent held up to testing. I am looking forward to the release of the Mako3 later this year.
That explains why they have the sharky mako stamp (bottom stamped stars).

I really liked throwing the mako, but the flashing wore/tore a hole in the skin of my middle finger, right under the knuckle. In the joint. Long story short: I stopped throwing the mako but kept playing and re opening the wound on approaches.. When it finally healed I was Left with a calloused notch in my finger the shape of my rhnyo's bead. It is awesome. Thanks mako!

Bringing this back to ask a question: Are there any star mako's still out there?

I've been throwing a star mako forever, one of my first non-starter dx discs I bought. I almost lost it this weekend, and once I realized I couldn't find anywhere selling them online (after looking for 5 mins on my phone), I went back out and walked in the dirtiest ditch I've ever set my feet in just to retrieve my ol' pal. (water was light brown, but couldn't see more than 8" into it, and the brown was surprising given I was dredging up black/grey mud)

In worst-case scenario and I lose my Mako for real? What are the odds I find a replacement star mako, and what's something that's pretty stable and glidey I could use to replace it? Is a beat in shark really the way to go?

I think the Mako3 killed the Mako.

Which makes sense to me. The first Run Mako's were flat and generally well received. After that, the Star Mako tended to have this pop-top dome and they were unpredictably flippy. The Mako3 fixed the domey Mako problem.

At this point I think if you have a flatter Star Mako, try a Star Mako3 as a replacement. If you have a domey Star Mako, you are looking for a new mid. Maybe a Wombat?

Last edited:
Awesome disc.

If something is off, it always tells me what I'm doing wrong.

Bringing this back to ask a question: Are there any star mako's still out there?

I've been throwing a star mako forever, one of my first non-starter dx discs I bought. I almost lost it this weekend, and once I realized I couldn't find anywhere selling them online (after looking for 5 mins on my phone), I went back out and walked in the dirtiest ditch I've ever set my feet in just to retrieve my ol' pal. (water was light brown, but couldn't see more than 8" into it, and the brown was surprising given I was dredging up black/grey mud)

In worst-case scenario and I lose my Mako for real? What are the odds I find a replacement star mako, and what's something that's pretty stable and glidey I could use to replace it? Is a beat in shark really the way to go?

At this point I think if you have a flatter Star Mako, try a Star Mako3 as a replacement. If you have a domey Star Mako, you are looking for a new mid. Maybe a Wombat?

The Wombat is beaded (it's V-tech), so you might prefer the Foxbat, which is not beaded. And I agree that you might want to give the Mako3 a try. I know you're looking for a Star Mako, but a Champion Mako3 is not as board flat as Star Mako3s (at least the several I have are not), and might do as a backup for your Star Mako.

I think the Mako3 killed the Mako.

Which makes sense to me. The first Run Mako's were flat and generally well received. After that, the Star Mako tended to have this pop-top dome and they were unpredictably flippy. The Mako3 fixed the domey Mako problem.

Video killed the radio star?

Agreed. Domey Makos just felt awkward in the hand...

My Makos are Echo Star and I've not had any problem finding them in the Dynamic Discs shop. Haven't looked online for any.

I came across my mako in a Facebook marketplace purchase of a bundle of discs. I was just starting and had no idea about any of the discs. All the others have been traded or sold, but I love the mako too much to let it go. It is a CFR stamp so I didn't even know what it was until I learned how to read the inked abbreviations. Man does it fly straight. mine is 176 and gummy. I am so afraid to lose it. I throw all Discraft except for this disc. I am gonna try and stockpile some extras! How would anyone compare this to the new Mako3 should I grab one of those too?

I am gonna start using them for 100-foot putts like someone mentioned above.

I came across my mako in a Facebook marketplace purchase of a bundle of discs. I was just starting and had no idea about any of the discs. All the others have been traded or sold, but I love the mako too much to let it go. It is a CFR stamp so I didn't even know what it was until I learned how to read the inked abbreviations. Man does it fly straight. mine is 176 and gummy. I am so afraid to lose it. I throw all Discraft except for this disc. I am gonna try and stockpile some extras! How would anyone compare this to the new Mako3 should I grab one of those too?

I am gonna start using them for 100-foot putts like someone mentioned above.

3s are flat topped and a tick faster, same as all three molds. Unlike other three molds tuos one stays at it's original glide rating making the Mako3 5/5/0/0. if you like the sligjt dome grab a Discmania MD, which I am pretty sure is just a Mako (someone can correct me if wrong) I just learned the MD magic and it will stay in the bag. Does what ya tell it to. Great disc.

Latest posts