• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Mako fans?

yea the dome on most production makos sucks... that's why so many people are saying they love their Proto Mako so much.

Picked up a proto Mako on the MP, looking forward to giving it a tryout.

Also, New, in my Mako searching I found your md2 vs. mako thread. Excellent read, especially since I've got md2s on the way as well.

Picked up a proto Mako on the MP, looking forward to giving it a tryout.

Also, New, in my Mako searching I found your md2 vs. mako thread. Excellent read, especially since I've got md2s on the way as well.

Gawd, the attraction for new discs never ends - that's a good thing :clap:

I forgot about that, might have to read it again to see if my outlook is the same

I carry 2 makos. A beat 162g and a new 180g. The 162 is my all time favorite disc. For touch shot and upshots outside of putter range it is so nice. Its so comfy. I have the heavy one for off the tee because the light one is so flippy. I always say if I ever go pro this would be my signature disc. It always does what you want it to.

Found another excellent use for my Mako yesterday in slick, snow-covered ground: standstill approaches. It's one of the weakest parts of my game for BH's, but the Mako will only help that improve! I was also loving my Mako for anny FH upshots, especially uphill. Enough control and perfect speed to make runs at the basket, yet leave it very close if it misses.

I just placed.a small order from Innova and I'm getting one disc for myself...a <160g Star Mako. I'm hoping the lighter one will be good for my 7 & 8 year old to throw.

I bought 3 hot pink (ridiculously hot pink) 180 CFR Champion Makos from our local club as Christmas presents for our daughters this year. As a Buzzz lover and dome hater these discs couldn't be farther from what I thought I liked. Problem is, when I field tested them they flew straighter than anything in my bag. I played a local pitch and putt 9 holer the other day and threw all of my mids at each hole. With the Mako I aced one hole and hit metal/chains on 4 others. Today I played our "easier" 18 hole course in town and three of the birds I carded were due to the fantastic flight of the Mako. My manly bag now holds my secret weapon: a super hot pink domey Mako.

I could never get into the Mako, it just didn't seem to mesh with my style of throwing. I had a glow champ that was domey and it was way too glidey and squirrely for me. Reminded me of a DX Coyote I had...worst disc ever.

I'll keep my Buzzz and Flat Top Rocs for straight shots, and throw putters for finesse. I hear FR Makos are much better though, a lot of guys in STL throw them.

I just got in a small order today. Three Makos. One I special ordered for myself. I got a 161g Blue super flat one. I'm looking really forward to getting this out on the course.

Got my Proto Mako in today (Thanks, bdodson!) and took it out to the field. It is super straight, easily workable, and sneaky long. It also forced me to throw clean, because it burned on the first throw when I didn't have my form steady. All in all, I am pumped to get out and play with it more. It can be very useful on touch shots with low ceilings at my home course.

Do the production runs at least go closely enough to the proto ones if they aren't pop-topped? I'm looking to add a backup, but proto prices on the MP are high...

from my experience if you can find flat production runs they are very similar to the protos but it's so hard to find them in higher weights which is what i use. i see flatter makos in the 160s a lot more often but even still it's not that often.

the best mako i've ever had was actually an x-out 180, it was flat and ridiculously gummy. i threw it in to a pond at flyboy.

i took my proto out of the bag for a while and used the fuse but i've found there are some shots that just suit the mako more. it's my favorite FH anny approach disc, the way it glides out is perfect because it's stable enough to not flip and roll but not so stable that it cuts off the line and fades out. plus the rim makes it not cut roll like a fuse might if it turns to hard on some anny lines.

Last edited:
the best mako i've ever had was actually an x-out 180, it was flat and ridiculously gummy. i threw it in to a pond at flyboy.

lefty's revenge!

I took a mako out of my bag specifically cause the fuse could do everything it could and more. I felt the mako was a one trick pony (that trick was awesome though).

I would pick up some Champs if you like the Mako but need a little more distance. It almost looks like a whole different mold...but flies similar just long off the tee.

I've had a 161 Star Mako for a few months now and really like the disc.

Low and straight flyer...complements my DX Roc and DX Stingray as my midrange discs. This 3 disc combo covers RHBH shots with fade the left (ROC), right (Stringray) and straight (Mako).

I would pick up some Champs if you like the Mako but need a little more distance. It almost looks like a whole different mold...but flies similar just long off the tee.

Is there more fade to a Champ? And where can I find one that's not glow?

The champs are more stable, still gives you straight but you lose some of the anny goodness.

My Red Champ Mako from the 2010 Chainsaw Classic annys just as nice as the flat top star Makos. I have another champ Mako from the 2011 Firecracker and it is more understable than stable...almost too much.

Latest posts