• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are You a Current PDGA Member?

Are You a Current PDGA Member?

• Yes

Votes: 147 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 140 48.8%

• Total voters
#17958 Current for many years. Only started playing tournaments a couple years ago, but PDGA seemed like a good way to give back to the game. I still think it is.

That's more or less how I felt. Some 20 years ago, as soon as I found out there was an organization, I wanted to join and be part of it. I stayed, even in the years I was injured and couldn't play.

Which isn't to suggest that anyone else should. But, for me, the motivation wasn't the (then) $5 non-member fee, nor the record-keeping and (then non-existent) ratings. It just seemed the thing to do.

I've never been a member. I guess I never saw the value in it. I didn't play my first tournament until I'd been playing for over 10 years, and I would guess of the 25 or so C-tiers i've played I only had to pay the extra $10 like 3 or 4 times. Had I signed up, and stayed current, since I first started I would be into it for over a grand or so by now. No regrets. I'm pretty frugal, though.

I am not, just never have the time to invest that much into the sport. If it wasn't for my work hours, I might have more time to play. And not spend so much here.

Joined last year for the stats. Not current b/c I have no wheels right now and I don't think my rating would do too hot if I had to peddle to tourneys. :|

I'm surprised that half (or more) that have posted thus far are not PDGA members. Maybe I'm naive about this group?
I joined and remain current because I like having a rating, even though it's not even close to being a good one. I also enjoy playing tournaments - my competitive nature, I suppose - and like the member discount.
It would be interesting to know the correlation between PDGA and local club membership. In my case it's a YES to both.

#19325. I've renewed every year since 2003. Illinois is a very active PDGA state Tournaments and PDGA leagues. Along with that I support several local club memberships. Well worth the money. Illinois disc golf continues to thrive.

Was a member from 2008-2011.

Life circumstances changed in 2012 and while things have stabilized in the last 18 months, I've just gotten to the "been there, done that" phase with tournaments. I do no more than 8 a year, and all but maybe 1-2 are unsanctioned. I don't play more than 90 minutes from home.

PDGA events played this year so far: 0

Nope. Bought my number, competed to see my rating.

Any reason this poll doesn't have a poll?

Don't see a lot of reason to give my money to a PDGA that doesn't run a Professional Tour. It's mostly a Professional Disc Golf Association of Armature's money. I subscribe to the magazine - I find that worth while, so I go subscription only.

I don't play tournaments much, I'm 700 rated right now, and DGCR says that's about right from my casual rounds. So I don't really accomplish much there. I am very involved in my local club, and run a lot of events. We want to start doing dome sanctioned tournaments, so I got PDGA membership so I can be a TD. That's really the only reason. I've played a few smaller tourneys just to do it, but I don't do much there.

Always current.

I play in a few tournaments a year, but I'd pay for membership regardless - as others have said, it seems like the right thing to do to support the growth of the sport in some small way.

Nope. Bought my number, competed to see my rating.

Any reason this poll doesn't have a poll?

Don't see a lot of reason to give my money to a PDGA that doesn't run a Professional Tour. It's mostly a Professional Disc Golf Association of Armature's money. I subscribe to the magazine - I find that worth while, so I go subscription only.

You are familiar with the National Tour event series right? You do release that is a professional tour organized by the PDGA right?

Any benefits to me aside, I'm a member of the PDGA -- as well as state and local disc golf organizations -- to support the work they do in developing and enhancing disc golf and to have a voice in that work if I so choose.

No one has mentioned the sandbagging aspect of tournament play? I used to play tournaments and was a PDGA member. Over time, family had to come first. But the other side was the racket tournaments seemed to be. I was playing advanced. I honestly couldn't compete in open to the level of cashing. Sometimes I did, but generally I couldn't sustain four rounds or so to be competitive. However, there were players that dropped from open down to advanced and essentially for the same reason I just mentioned. This allowed them to overwhelmingly in most cases win advanced outright. This is no good for me. Then there is the whole merch bucks aspect. Most players accumulate swag, discs, etc.. over time. To offset costs of tournaments, travel, food, etc.. you'd need to unload this merchandise and selling online, mailing discs, communicating back n forth with people through various sites is just a pain. So with that said, no I'm not current :)