• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

So I'll play some of the courses that are universally loved, and as a MA3'ish player, I don't enjoy playing them at all. So that is challenging for me to rate.

Same. I got beat up some on my review of Iron Hill for trying to make the point that it isn't as good a course from the shorter tees for the recreational player, as it is from the longer tees for the highly skilled player. I'm sure the place is terrific for the 900+ rated player, but the short tees are pretty crappy and poorly marked. That's just a "fact" I found at the course.

And even though the course beat the crap out of me, that doesn't mean I won't be back....

As HyooMac points out, some courses definitely play better from one set of tees (or baskets) than the other(s), Iron Hill being a good example. That can definitely sway a reviewer's opinion.

The challenge is in being objective, and trying to capture how well the course suits different skill levels and/or skill sets, or at least indicating that your review is based playing the _____ layout (something I've seen quite a few reviewers mention).

Garrulous wind-bag that I am, I'll say it again:
a good review provides context.

i just try to keep it in mind myself when i'm reviewing. it's easy to remember more issues than may actually have been present when you're not digging the course vibe or not playing well or not having a good day or whatever. i try to spend a little extra time making sure i'm being as objective as i can be with my cons.

this reviewer seems to have played the course many times so it sounds like it's just not his preference. or maybe he always loses to his buddies here. either way, it's not full of long walks, crossing fairways, and dangerous tees. it does have a major road on one border of the park. you get close to it on a few holes but it's never in play. there are a couple internal park roads that border several holes and are OB. i could see how one might not like that aesthetically and just not dig the vibe. there are some filler holes but there are a number of cool holes with excellent elevation changes and specific lines required, a solid 3.75.

Before I read the review I thought, "This sounds like Turner Park". Sure enough, it was.

I can see the dissenting opinion to some degrees personally. You play next to a road on I think 5-7 holes iirc? I know I've had my disc run over by a car on hole 16 or 17. I can't remember which one it is. Downhill, 650' hole. I overturned my disc and it sailed down the road all the way to be pin high in middle of the road. I was walking to get my disc when an oncoming car swerved to run over it.

The playground, while often not busy, has had errant shots fly over/near it from bad tree kicks on holes 1 and 3 I believe it is. Hole 4's blind shot over the hill I've often had discs roll into the park road there as well, which does get travel by cars, though admittedly not often. There are at least 3 long walks to the next tee on a few holes that I remember. They're not grueling long, but not great when the course is already so extremely hilly and long. Every time I played Turner when I lived there, I was exhausted after the round.

Now, as far as crossing fairways goes, I can't think of any holes that cross each other. Maybe a couple on the back 9 get close in certain positions if you have a bad shot that hyzers out?

All that being said, I really like a lot of the holes at Turner. It has some of my favorite holes I've ever played. I certainly wouldn't rate it a 2, but I think it's a stretch at 3.75 also. Maybe that's my bias because DFW has so many courses better than Turner, I just don't see reason to play it much, if at all. You're always in spitting distance from a better course that won't leave you as worn out as Turner will. Solid 3 though. Maybe 3.5.

You clicked on, and watched one. Or more than one? :D

Must be a midwest thing. Porta potty. Porta John, or calling a s***er a john in any capacity just doesn't happen around here.

When you cross the Mississippi River from Dubuque, IA to Wisconsin, there is a giant castle overlooking the river... The owner made his fortune with Porta Potties. :gross:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this because maybe I'm the only one, but...

I don't like it when somebody posts 4, 5 or 12 reviews all at once, because they push others off the Recent Reviews front page.

And sometimes those "others" include my review.
And sometimes their reviews really suck.

There, I said it.

Before I read the review I thought, "This sounds like Turner Park". Sure enough, it was.

I can see the dissenting opinion to some degrees personally. You play next to a road on I think 5-7 holes iirc? I know I've had my disc run over by a car on hole 16 or 17. I can't remember which one it is. Downhill, 650' hole. I overturned my disc and it sailed down the road all the way to be pin high in middle of the road. I was walking to get my disc when an oncoming car swerved to run over it.

The playground, while often not busy, has had errant shots fly over/near it from bad tree kicks on holes 1 and 3 I believe it is. Hole 4's blind shot over the hill I've often had discs roll into the park road there as well, which does get travel by cars, though admittedly not often. There are at least 3 long walks to the next tee on a few holes that I remember. They're not grueling long, but not great when the course is already so extremely hilly and long. Every time I played Turner when I lived there, I was exhausted after the round.

Now, as far as crossing fairways goes, I can't think of any holes that cross each other. Maybe a couple on the back 9 get close in certain positions if you have a bad shot that hyzers out?

All that being said, I really like a lot of the holes at Turner. It has some of my favorite holes I've ever played. I certainly wouldn't rate it a 2, but I think it's a stretch at 3.75 also. Maybe that's my bias because DFW has so many courses better than Turner, I just don't see reason to play it much, if at all. You're always in spitting distance from a better course that won't leave you as worn out as Turner will. Solid 3 though. Maybe 3.5.

I remember that hole that finished by the road. I like the following hole better, I believe it was the one where you are throwing off of a hill to a basket guarded by a couple of trees. There might of been a small creek involved too? Not quite sure as it has been a while and I only played one round because it was such a workout. Back then, it was one of the better courses in the DFW area. Now I am not sure:confused:

I don't like it when somebody posts 4, 5 or 12 reviews all at once, because they push others off the Recent Reviews front page.

There, I said it.

Yep! Very disheartening when you're trying to put out a good review and get some thumbs up to be bombed by literally 10 reviews that have 1 thumbs up among them and 10 downvotes.

There, I said it.

Nope, I've had the same thought in the past.

I think we've all felt that frustration at some point.
Write reviews on here long enough and sooner or later, it's bound to happen. Such is the life of a course reviewer.

I remember that hole that finished by the road. I like the following hole better, I believe it was the one where you are throwing off of a hill to a basket guarded by a couple of trees. There might of been a small creek involved too? Not quite sure as it has been a while and I only played one round because it was such a workout. Back then, it was one of the better courses in the DFW area. Now I am not sure:confused:

Yep, there was a small creek you threw over. That was a fun hole. It's been at least 5 years since I've played there, so not sure how well maintained anything is though. Last I heard it was being pulled, but that was a few years ago, and it's still there, so maybe they changed their mind?

But, as far as top courses in DFW goes, I'd put Lester Lorche, Z Boaz, Trophy Club, Town Lake, Harry Meyers, Crossroads, and Heritage all above Turner for sure. Probably Veterans too, just because it's not as much as a beating. I personally prefer Gateway to Turner as well just because it's more wooded, even though it's quite a bit easier. I haven't lived in DFW for a few years now, and have only been back to play a couple courses since, but I've heard of a few other good courses that went in in the area that everyone seems to like. But of the courses I've played there, Turner isn't in the top 10. It might be 12 or 13, but with that many great options, I just never really played it when I was there, and certainly don't make it my choice when I visit.

Yep, there was a small creek you threw over. That was a fun hole. It's been at least 5 years since I've played there, so not sure how well maintained anything is though. Last I heard it was being pulled, but that was a few years ago, and it's still there, so maybe they changed their mind?

But, as far as top courses in DFW goes, I'd put Lester Lorche, Z Boaz, Trophy Club, Town Lake, Harry Meyers, Crossroads, and Heritage all above Turner for sure. Probably Veterans too, just because it's not as much as a beating. I personally prefer Gateway to Turner as well just because it's more wooded, even though it's quite a bit easier. I haven't lived in DFW for a few years now, and have only been back to play a couple courses since, but I've heard of a few other good courses that went in in the area that everyone seems to like. But of the courses I've played there, Turner isn't in the top 10. It might be 12 or 13, but with that many great options, I just never really played it when I was there, and certainly don't make it my choice when I visit.

Thanks, Turner was my 1st hilly course to play and I was pretty sore the next day. Did you get a chance to play the new harry meyers layout?

There, I said it.

Same.

Also while we are secret sharing, I never post more than one review in a 24 hour period. Why? To maximize thumbs.

My reasoning: Most people who bother reading and thumbing reviews here, are going to be doing it in batches. For example I will go in once a day or so and do it (if I remember at all :doh: ). When I read and thumb, if someone has written multiple reviews I can only thumb up one of them because of the timer between casting thumbs up. No way am I gonna wait 10 minutes, or remember to come back later to thumb that second review up.

By only posting one per day max, I attempt to avoid that happening to me.

Same.

Also while we are secret sharing, I never post more than one review in a 24 hour period. Why? To maximize thumbs.

My reasoning: Most people who bother reading and thumbing reviews here, are going to be doing it in batches. For example I will go in once a day or so and do it (if I remember at all :doh: ). When I read and thumb, if someone has written multiple reviews I can only thumb up one of them because of the timer between casting thumbs up. No way am I gonna wait 10 minutes, or remember to come back later to thumb that second review up.

I'm thinking the same way on posting reviews, only I make sure I only have one on the main page at a time. Same thoughts on the time delay between review voting, most people won't go back later and vote on another review from the same reviewer.

Some times it is days between posting reviews (have one on there now :D), but it seems to be helping my thumbs up!! :thmbup:

I'm thinking the same way on posting reviews, only I make sure I only have one on the main page at a time. Same thoughts on the time delay between review voting, most people won't go back later and vote on another review from the same reviewer.

Some times it is days between posting reviews (have one on there now :D), but it seems to be helping my thumbs up!! :thmbup:

It's nice to know I am not the only one. Typically I'll write all of my reviews shortly after playing, then upload them over time- trying to wait at least 24 hours and until I have no other reviews on the front page between uploads. Unless it's during a slow time of year and I have a bunch of reviews written, then I'll just shoot for 24-48 hours.

The wait also helps me try to sort through what is subjective vs what is objective in my reviews.

There, I said it.

I agree that sucks.

After I read this, I thumbed up your bumped review, then I just thumbed up your latest review! Keep up the good reviews! :clap:

Same.

I think you both are forgetting something. You must end with "DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE". :\:p

I think most folks figure out what works (and what doesn't) by the time they reach TR.

Let's not give away all our trade secrets... :p

FWIW- As a general rule applicable to nearly all walks of life, I think there's some merit to figuring out how things work for yourself, rather than simply being told.

Last edited:
It's nice to know I am not the only one. Typically I'll write all of my reviews shortly after playing, then upload them over time- trying to wait at least 24 hours and until I have no other reviews on the front page between uploads. Unless it's during a slow time of year and I have a bunch of reviews written, then I'll just shoot for 24-48 hours.

The wait also helps me try to sort through what is subjective vs what is objective in my reviews.

Yeah, sometimes even if it's been 24 hours I'll hold off longer if I'm still on the front page.

If I have lots of time to write additional reviews, I just do all the writing and keep the text on my computer. Then copy/paste it in later.

FWIW- As a general rule applicable to nearly all walks of life, I think there's some merit to figuring out how things work for yourself, rather than simply being told.

Absolutely agree! So uh, none of this ever happened. :D

Thanks, Turner was my 1st hilly course to play and I was pretty sore the next day. Did you get a chance to play the new harry meyers layout?

I haven't played the new layout at Harry Meyers yet. Maybe next time I go back. The problem is, the friends I usually visit live right next to Z Boaz, which is like an hour from Harry Meyers, so why drive all that way when you're right next to a great course, and have to pass other great courses on the way?

There's a chance my work (which is based in Irving but I'm remote), has me start coming to the office for meetings from time to time. If I do that, then I'll probably plan on adding some of the east side courses on my visits.

Latest posts