• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bailing out on a hole?

mike3216

Bogey Member
I know with the shared nature of a lot of courses, this has to happen often, but I don't know the etiquette.

The 18th at my favorite local course tees over a small pond, about 150', then about another 60' up a steep hardscrabble bank to the goal. My typical play is to chuck my Atlas at a low angle to skid up the hill to putting distance. Tuesday, I had just gotten to the tee, and an older guy came walking down the hill and staked out a fishing spot right on my line. It wasn't much of a decision for me. I don't have the skills to take a different route at this point, so I just bagged it. But if I had a little more confidence in my shot, even if I knew it might pass fairly close to him, is there an established etiquette?

You did the right thing. You don't want to throw on someone for the obvious reason but also you don't want to give someone something to complain about. IMO we're all ambassadors of the game and that means sharing space sometimes. One thing you could do is approach him and just let him know the situation. If you do it the right way you're not only educating him on the game but making aware of the potential harm because the truth is, not everyone is going to bag it and call it a day.

I would agree with your choice. I have skipped many a hole to bypass Pokemon Go enthusiasts, who were 'fighting' in my line. :(

Yep, I'll never throw if there's any chance my worst shot could go near them. And if a 'hello' as I skipped the hole got a positive response, I might start up a brief conversation, a la, "hey, it's cool with me if this is the best spot to fish, and I am fine with skipping this hole, but you might want to know this is actually a 'fairway'..." (etc.) Polite, don't put them on the spot, but help inform. Heck I've had people walking by a course literally watch us putt out for a second and say, "oh, THAT's what those are for!"

I guess I am more assertive than most, or perhaps just an a$$. I would have hollered, "heads up sir! I'm playing the course and I'm coming that way!"
Once I had his attention I would proceed to throw.
You'd be surpised how many people are impressed or interested afterwards.

playing solo it's always pretty easy call for me to make on what to do or not do.

Group play with discussion and what to do can get a little weird with multiple personalities chiming in. Seen and been in a few arguments in regard to that. Some groups really would benefit with a designated safety and public relations officer.

As someone who's interest in fishing equals if not surpasses disc golf....occasionally....yes...we have the right of way so you did the right thing. But from a player's perspective....it sucks, but all it takes is one.. well.. you get it.

playing solo it's always pretty easy call for me to make on what to do or not do.

Group play with discussion and what to do can get a little weird with multiple personalities chiming in. Seen and been in a few arguments in regard to that. Some groups really would benefit with a designated safety and public relations officer.

When this happens when I'm playing in a group, it is usually easiest to take a quick walk up the fairwa and talk to whoever it is. A simple "we are about to throw these frisbee through here, if the hit you they're going to hurt a lot, so keep an eye out" does the trick. More often than not I get a "I've always wondered what you guys were doing", followed by "that looks like fun". Then they'll watch us throw and everyone leaves safe and happy. The only caveat is that our courses aren't very busy, so it is t likely they'll be I. The way of many other people.

"Group think" can be a tough nut to crack. People have a tendency to feel a certain action or point of view, however inappropriate, is somehow justifiable when several of them talk themselves into it... even if (and sometimes particularly when) none of them would be all that inclined to feel that way on their own.

Presented with such a situation on the course, I present it as, "Doing the right thing is a mando."

The best you can do, as Sysiphus pointed out, is in a friendly and polite manner, explain to them where they are relative to the course. I've found it helps when you can point out the basket and tee to them. Most people are fairly receptive.
I've only run into one person who was a complete @$$hat about it.

Last edited:
I use these opportunities to educate people about disc golf. I walk up to them and say " Excuse me would you mind watching me/us throw? I /we don't intend to hit you but you are in the danger zone of this disc golf fairway. If you could just watch me/us throw in case a errant shot comes your way. Thank You very much" I say this in the most friendliest way possible. If they are at all bothered by it I will skip a hole. But most kindly oblige.

Skipping the hole or not, you should let him know he's probably going see some action coming his way if there are other players on the course.

Your option is probably the best route. Last week I made the poor decision to throw on a hole with a woman sitting on a bench 200 ft away. 49/50 times I hit my line and the disc will never go OB by the bench. As luck would have it, this was the 50/50 where i didn't turn over my shot, released weird, and my disc skipped off the ground right into the woman. I felt horribly and jogged over to see of she was ok, and she laughed it off saying she should have been watching and the disc thankfully caused no damage, not eve a bruise.

I'd sooner skip a hole than chance a pedestrian strike, especially if they're anywhere near where my line normally is.

Your option is probably the best route. Last week I made the poor decision to throw on a hole with a woman sitting on a bench 200 ft away. 49/50 times I hit my line and the disc will never go OB by the bench. As luck would have it, this was the 50/50 where i didn't turn over my shot, released weird, and my disc skipped off the ground right into the woman. I felt horribly and jogged over to see of she was ok, and she laughed it off saying she should have been watching and the disc thankfully caused no damage, not eve a bruise.

I'd sooner skip a hole than chance a pedestrian strike, especially if they're anywhere near where my line normally is.

THIS. I'm very conservative about throwing on people, but recently I thought a woman walking was out of my noodle-arm range. my drive dropped about 20 feet behind her, but amazingly I don't think she heard it. no harm, but I would have felt pretty crappy if she thought I was throwing on her....

I have been in a situation like this in a tournament. I explained to them that they were in a fairway where we would be throwing, so they might want to move. They just kinda shrugged it off, until a cardmate told them what had happened to his friend who had been hit.;)

I have been in a situation like this in a tournament. I explained to them that they were in a fairway where we would be throwing, so they might want to move. They just kinda shrugged it off, until a cardmate told them what had happened to his friend who had been hit.;)

What happened to his friend?

Depends on my schedule, if I need to complete a round and get home, I pick up and move on. I explain as I walk by they need to keep an eye out for other players since not everyone might see them. If I have time, I wait. Maybe open a drink, make a few phone calls or check the stock market. If I really need to play it due to a smoking hot score(rare event), I will let them know I am throwing, and once I know they are aware of my play, I go right on and play. Then I ask how they are doing and wish them luck. Those folks used to be every place, not as bad lately since many people have burned out on the game.

I know with the shared nature of a lot of courses, this has to happen often, but I don't know the etiquette.

The 18th at my favorite local course tees over a small pond, about 150', then about another 60' up a steep hardscrabble bank to the goal. My typical play is to chuck my Atlas at a low angle to skid up the hill to putting distance. Tuesday, I had just gotten to the tee, and an older guy came walking down the hill and staked out a fishing spot right on my line. It wasn't much of a decision for me. I don't have the skills to take a different route at this point, so I just bagged it. But if I had a little more confidence in my shot, even if I knew it might pass fairly close to him, is there an established etiquette?

The established etiquette (well all learned this as children) is to not throw things at people.

You did the right thing. Outside of politely asking him to give you 30 sec's to play your shot, you did the only other thing you should do.

If the course were closed for an event, assuming the TD had permits to do so, you would be ok in telling (or asking nicely) him he needed to vacate, but in this case, I think you did well, and shouldn't be purposefully putting people in harms way.