• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Beat in DX/KC Pro Roc replacement- 2014 Edition

OB Four

Eagle Member
Ok, I know this subject has been brought a few times, but the last thread I found on this subject is at least a couple years old and there's so many new discs out there since I last saw anything on this particular subject.

Here's the low-down. I recently left my beat in DX Roc on the course while doing some field work. It's left a huge hole in my bag and it's been taking a while for my current Roc to beat in to the point that I like it for some reason.

That said, I'm looking for something serviceable to bridge the gap until my roc beats in.

Anyone have suggestions for a mid that works well for hyzer flips in the 275-300 ft range at 70ish% power out of the box? It doesn't have to feel like a roc or be in a particular plastic, all I care about is the flight. I tried out a tangent in hopes it might work, but felt like I needed to put a little more juice on it to hyzer flip and it would end up going longer than I'd like.

I've got a few discs in mind that I'm thinking about trying out (theory, tursas, buzzz ss) but am actively looking for suggestions.

Eh the buzzz SS is too stable for that. The tursas is understable enough but you'll be shocked by the speed. The meteor is in between those too and also quite fast. Id recommend a comet, similar to an ontario roc it's perfect for 300 foot hyzer flips. The X will beat up fastest so that's your safest bet, z will beat up way slower, and esp is dead in between. A flatter comet will be less stable. Of course something like a dx cobra would work really well.

A heavy VIP Tursas might work well. It's fun to throw hyzer flips from a standstill. I get them out 280' to 300' (20' - 40' short of my fairway drivers).

I've thrown the Theory a handful of times. I feel it's more of an understable putter than a midrange. It's a fun disc, but probably a little slower than you're looking for.

I am a biiiiiig fan of the theory. If the tangent let you down for the hyzer flip lower power shots the theory won't at all.

Tursas I believe is even less HSS vs buzzSS or Theory. I think the theory is slower then both of those discs too.

Excel or Gravity Ghost is your best bet, they beat in very quickly after a few drives/tree hits and will fly closer than anything else to your roc.

I Use a Gravity Ghost and it beat in quickly but they hit a stage right after the innitial quick break in where they have some very nice hyzer flip and slowly develop more turnover from there on out.

Trust me, this is what you want.

I found the very same thing, my gravity ghost was a dead copy of a dx roc but noticeably less stable, perfect choice.

Gravity is actually fairly durable, so I disagree even though I do like the disc. Unless you smash trees quite hard or play often your pattern of wear will take too long. Then again there are some gravity out there that are less stable than I feel they should be. I always hunted higher plh. And I did not like the excel ghost.

Light x comet. Seriously, I repeat, light x comet. Other mids are, for the most part, not responsive to lower power or if they are it's because they are flippy. That or they require beat in.

Last edited:
DX Flat Top roc's fly like a beat in KC Roc for me right out of the box. Good KC's are getting harder and harder to find so I find myself throwing the DX Roc's more often for the beat up Roc shots. I suggest you get yourself another DX Roc and start working it.

I found the very same thing, my gravity ghost was a dead copy of a dx roc but noticeably less stable, perfect choice.

I don't know about that, I found that not only did the ghost have less fade, but also less glide. I would say it is close, but not as far in my opinion.

I don't think there is a "dead copy" of a dx roc out there. Maybe replacements, but no disc will ever be a roc but a roc.

Gravity is actually fairly durable, so I disagree even though I do like the disc. Unless you smash trees quite hard or play often your pattern of wear will take too long. Then again there are some gravity out there that are less stable than I feel they should be. I always hunted higher plh. And I did not like the excel ghost.

Light x comet. Seriously, I repeat, light x comet. Other mids are, for the most part, not responsive to lower power or if they are it's because they are flippy. That or they require beat in.

Sorry, last part should read "or they are more stable (ala the ghost) and require beat in."

I don't know about that, I found that not only did the ghost have less fade, but also less glide. I would say it is close, but not as far in my opinion.

I don't think there is a "dead copy" of a dx roc out there. Maybe replacements, but no disc will ever be a roc but a roc.

but they are 8x roc clones pretty sure. exact copy.

They aren't a 100% match to every roc you put up next to it, but many rocs I did were identical. I have to diagree about the glide lol, but my gravity ghost had a mild dome and a domier roc would have more glide.

I tried replacing my beat up DX roc that my firends dog chewed up. I would suggest following the marketplace and buying some beat up Rocs from there. It think I bought 4 rocs for $5 or $6 a piece. One of my best disc purchases so far.

but they are 8x roc clones pretty sure. exact copy.

They won't be an exact copy unless they took the mold and used the same plastic, which they did not, so they are not an exact copy. :)

And frankly if they did then I am glad I didn't throw 8x rocs. The newer ones are better, if by throwing a ghost I may evaluate an 8x roc.

Ghost is glidey, but seriously light x comet especially for the distance you mentioned and power level.

Excel or Gravity ghost will get more glide as soon as they hot a few objects, but excel will start with more glide from my experience.

Haha, I was hoping to avoid the whole debate of "nothing flies like x, but x" with my original wording, but to reiterate.. I am working in a couple other Rocs, they're just not getting there as quickly as I'd like. Just looking for anything that would just be serviceable in the interim, so I don't have to completely lose a shot during tourney's and league play.

Latest posts