• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Baskets for High Profile Course?

Peterb

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Hi. I'm gathering opinions on what people would want to see on a pay to play course.
Please add a basket I may have missed:
- Discraft Chainstar
- DGA Mach X
- DGA Mach V
- DGA Mach 3
- Prodigy (are these even available yet?)
- Innova Discatcher 28 chain
- Arroyo
- Lightning DB5
- Gateway Titan

Last edited:
You'll get alot of in-fighting between people on both sides of the Discatcher/Mach battle. Personally, I like the Innova Discatchers the best because I think they're the most visible. I live in West Virginia where most of the courses are heavily wooded and that big band on top makes it way easier to see through the trees. However, after seeing pictures of the Mach X, it looks pretty freaking sweet.

But I would definitely stick with one of the big three baskets for reliability - Innova, DGA, and Discraft. Dynamic Discs has a new basket out which looks really cool and is quite inexpensive, but they have the pole behind the chains painted as well. That's generally a bad idea because the chains bash up against the pole, and over time that paint will wear off.

Last edited:
I should add that the proposed course is on a golf course and visibility is not really an issue. We played a demonstration tournament with red powder coated mach Vs and it looked great.

Being "high profile" and pay to play, I'd hope for custom colors/labelling, and/or blades. Either the Mach V, or DISCatcher Pro are excellent choices.

Edit: ^ Perfect.

Gateway Titans are the best baskets that this grizzled vet has seen.

Gateway Titans are the best baskets that this grizzled vet has seen.
Titans are great, but having to fly GDS owner Dave MacCormack to your location to approve your design is a HORRIBLE requirement...and his designs are only OK. He gave me an hour lecture on course safety just for calling him to get a quote on 20 Titans...and he'd never seen the proposed course or layout.

Titans are great, but having to fly GDS owner Dave MacCormack to your location to approve your design is a HORRIBLE requirement...and his designs are only OK. He gave me an hour lecture on course safety just for calling him to get a quote on 20 Titans...and he'd never seen the proposed course or layout.

Wow, that does sound pretty ridiculous. Is it purely a safety thing or does he only want to have his baskets associated with championship caliber courses?

heh. This is a trend these days with basket companies. I think it's necessary but man, tough to listen to!

Wow, that does sound pretty ridiculous. Is it purely a safety thing or does he only want to have his baskets associated with championship caliber courses?

I'm pretty sure its a safety thing /dave being a weird pain the butt.

Mach X or V for me... can't stand those giant bands on top of the baskets Innova does at all.

Prodigys, Mach X's, Chainstars, And Discatchers are all chmpionship level baskets to me. The latter two just because they literally are perfect baskets in the design of non cross chain baskets. If you added cross chains to a discatcher or a chainstar, they would essentially be mach X's(chainstars with cross X chains) and prodigys(discatchers with cross chains)

it really comes down to do you want a circle band or no band on the top. and do you want cross chains, or no cross chains.

If they made the dynamic recruit with weather proof metal I would want those baskets to be on every course. Mine catches amazingly well.

I've played on all of them except for the Arroyo Vortex. I've only played on Gateway Titans a handful of times, but I really liked them. Out of all of them, I'd say my overall favorite would be the Discraft Chainstar, however the Prodigy baskets are gaining ground the more I play on them.

I love me some Mach V's. A new 9 hole course was put in 15 minutes up the street from me. 9 brand new Mach V's just sitting there waiting to catch my discs. Lovin' it!

Prodigys, Mach X's, Chainstars, And Discatchers are all chmpionship level baskets to me. The latter two just because they literally are perfect baskets in the design of non cross chain baskets. If you added cross chains to a discatcher or a chainstar, they would essentially be mach X's(chainstars with cross X chains) and prodigys(discatchers with cross chains)

it really comes down to do you want a circle band or no band on the top. and do you want cross chains, or no cross chains.

This, and the bold part in particular.

You can choose among the top-quality baskets, and your choice won't significantly affect the quality and perception of the course.

The visibility advantage of the Innova bands doesn't just help finding them on wooded courses. Having them stand out on an open course advertises "disc golf". Nor do they have to be yellow; they can be a color that matches the course's logo, or other purposes. There's plenty of room for lettering, such as the course name.

It's also a liability, if the golf course doesn't want the appearance to detract from the (ball) golf course, but wants them to be inconspicuous.