• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Ambassador?

Alan Beaver being a long time Meck County parks guy certainly didn't hurt.

Now an Ambassador in South Carolina, as a great liaison with parks departments, coach of the college team, state coordinator, advisor to TDs, and more.

I may be a little off base, but as far as I know he's doing some course design around here, running a league, and doesn't compete much. I'm just getting back into the scene around here so others may have a better answer.

That's what I figured. He seemed to be gearing more towards that direction when he had the DGTV site and even in the first Clash video. He also seemed eager and enthusiastic to design better courses etc. I always liked his positive demeanor. :clap:

Jason Urroz aka DSCJNKY-originator of the the Nature Trail Disc Golf concept and former prez of WNC dg club in Asheville. He's been involved with getting tons of courses in the ground and getting dg clubs going in Asheville-area high schools.:thmbup:

Just don't be one of the locals who actually does the work on one of those courses with the nature grants and bring up that many complain about the lack of signage, or he will ridicule the idea and talk to you like a peon like he did to me at Catawba Meadows, btw our latest review complains again about that very issue he wrote off.

I think the moral of this thread is that there are many ambassadors out there, and I think this speaks to where disc golf currently is as a sport. Without a huge outlet for a national audience - ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc. - disc golf is still a very regionally-based sport. As a result, it seems there are heroes in each locale that really help to mold that area.

Around here, we have Allen Risley, Mark Verocchi, and various other members of the San Diego Aces Disc Golf Club. These are the guys that throw down the hours, take all the flack, and still keep on going.

Sure, the pros are who people will look to when the sport is in every household every weekend, but until then the locals are driving the growth of the game.

Just don't be one of the locals who actually does the work on one of those courses with the nature grants and bring up that many complain about the lack of signage, or he will ridicule the idea and talk to you like a peon like he did to me at Catawba Meadows, btw our latest review complains again about that very issue he wrote off.

He's been nothing but a scholar and a gentleman to me. :\

I don't remember Catawba Meadows having poor signage but I can't remember definitively.

Hell our very own Prerube who teaches school children the fundamentals and joy of disc golf is a better ambassador than any top touring pro.

That may be going a bit too far, IMHO. Maybe IRL he is different, but Prerube's online attitude and troll-like tendencies would negate any "ambassador"-like qualities he has. An ambassador needs to be tolerant of differing opinions and be willing to have civil, adult conversations.

My vote would go to Feldberg and Holly. They all have a clean reputations and can reach larger audiences.

That may be going a bit too far, IMHO. Maybe IRL he is different, but Prerube's online attitude and troll-like tendencies would negate any "ambassador"-like qualities he has. An ambassador needs to be tolerant of differing opinions and be willing to have civil, adult conversations.

My vote would go to Feldberg and Holly. They all have a clean reputations and can reach larger audiences.

Did you search prerube and just find anyway to bash me? You are hilarious.
I have not gotten an infraction in 3 years. Since you like to use the search feature, when was the last post where I trolled a thread?

Thanks for the nod of confidence Paul.
As an update, I am still on the PDGA Youth and Education committee, even though there is very little happening in it. I will be presenting at the Maryland MAHPERD Conference this year to teach physical educators how they can add disc golf in their P.E. programs on a budget.
I do not think I am a better ambassador than most touring pros. To me Bob Cannon from Virginia is the best disc golf ambassador I know. Mike Solt is a very close second.

Other Ambassadors I can think of:
Carl "Cubby" Cubbage, while I have posted my dislike for his ace videos, he has done more for the sport than just about any amateur. He is a good choice for an ambassador for the sport as well.
Brian Rodgers, his work with flight charts and sponsorships of so many events, as well as his help he offers on this site.

In my opinion I am still a newbie to the behind the scenes work, John Biscoe has done more for the sport than I ever will.

And finally no ambassador list will be complete without Steve Dodge.

Last edited:
I have to agree with those who say no one. Its an individual sport and individuals can't be led like sheep. Or can they? People believe the Mississippi river flows into the Gulf of Mexico when its technically the Missouri River. Like Hitler says repeat a lie enough times people will be live it. By the way golf means club. What club do you use to Folf?

me because I run local events :)
YOU because you play and you show others around you that you enjoy it.

ONLY YOU CAN BE AN AMBASSADOR

In my opinion, the ambassador who would be most effective getting more folks to play would be a popular celebrity with the widest appeal. It would be best if this ambassador actually played disc golf. Someone like Paul Walker was perfect. I could never understand why organizations with interests in growing disc golf never partnered with him while he was alive and tweeting pics of his disc golf outings to his millions of followers. Who knows, maybe they tried and he just wasn't interested.

I also can't figure out why these organizations don't hook up with Bubba Watson. He's an active PDGA member for pity's sake! Maybe his membership is some kind of gag and it's not Master's champ Bubba Watson from Scottsdale but someone else named Bubba Watson from Scottsdale or maybe these organizations have run the numbers and have decided that it's just not worth it.

If the priority is getting people who don't know anything about disc golf to play the game, using disc golf pros as ambassadors, no matter how talented or attractive to some they might be, will not move the needle much at all.

I love that I'm seeing more YouTube videos of tournaments. Those can go a long way. Best ambassadors are those that work well with parks and recreation, showing the community that it's not just a sport where people come drink and smoke. Rather it can be a sociable sport promoting health and active lifestyles for all ages. I wonder how the communities that have BIG national tournaments have benefited from DG? Maybe the best ambassadors could be community leaders that have benefited from these

Latest posts