• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best NC courses not Charlotte Area

How is the scoring separation on 14 bad? It takes most people that play there forever before they can consistently par that. Plus, often there is a strange wind thing going on that you can't feel from the tee.

IF 10 people play it, you get 8 3's, a 2 and a 4.

Last year in the advanced division, every 5 some I played in 3'd the hole. That's 20 for 20.

I can't remember when, but Houck wrote an article about holes like that - basically fair wide tunnels for 290 then 90 degree turns in either direction and the basket is like 75 feet around the corner - and how bad they are.

It literally looked like he was referring to that exact hole.

It would be way better if the pin was about 30 left of where it is. Our sport seems to really not understand that by making holes easier you make them harder b/c of the need to birdie the hole losing strokes instead of not bogeying to lose to a stroke.

Are the longs on the back nine at Rockness still crappy poke and hope or lay up shots to the shorts?

last time I was out that way ~november, the only hole that had been opened up was #5. I agree that a few lines need to be tweeked on the back 9 like holes 12,15 and 16 but besides that I love the monster

Regarding Castle Hayne being over-rated:

Well, it's personal opinion, of course. It's over-rated. Not horrible. Just not great.

#1 is a blah hole. A basket in a park with widely spaced mature trees. Yawn. So now we're down to 17 holes.

Is it really that routine of a hole? Watch the first 4 minutes of these videos of some pretty solid players trying to birdie it.

Castle Hayne, Barnet Park, Buckhorn DGC, and I really enjoyed Joe Eakes. Cedar Hills and Leigh Farm were also pretty good on my 5 course trip around Raleigh and Durham today. I am hitting Zebulon and hopefully all 4 near Rocky Mount tomorrow and will see if those get included.

Castle Hayne, Barnet Park, Buckhorn DGC, and I really enjoyed Joe Eakes. Cedar Hills and Leigh Farm were also pretty good on my 5 course trip around Raleigh and Durham today. I am hitting Zebulon and hopefully all 4 near Rocky Mount tomorrow and will see if those get included.

Joe eakes is definatly a cool course. Not many courses where you will play that close to the beach. whole course is sand and the ocean is a few hundred Yards away

here are some courses mostly in my area within a few minutes of I-40 and where they are:

glenn c hilton (hickory)
catawba meadows (morganton)
richmond hill (asheville)
cedarock park (burlington)

and off/near Highway 321:

rankin lake (gastonia)
bradley center (gastonia)
sawmills veterans park (sawmills) *only 9 holes, full 18 open in april

my favorites statewide, outside of charlotte:

brackett's bluff - most likely my favorite course. a disc golfer's paradise. lots of potential signature holes.
sugaree - love it. funky baskets. you better putt well. 25 great holes. just a blast to play.
ashe county - beautiful park. short and long tees almost create two separate courses. a hike but worth it.
bear tree - some of the prettiest holes in disc golf. pretty private, though. a big hike.
stumpy creek - overlooked being just outside the mecca. fun course. longs are pretty darn tough.

here are some courses mostly in my area within a few minutes of I-40 and where they are:

glenn c hilton (hickory)
catawba meadows (morganton)
richmond hill (asheville)
cedarock park (burlington)

and off/near Highway 321:

rankin lake (gastonia)
bradley center (gastonia)
sawmills veterans park (sawmills) *only 9 holes, full 18 open in april

my favorites statewide, outside of charlotte:

brackett's bluff - most likely my favorite course. a disc golfer's paradise. lots of potential signature holes.
sugaree - love it. funky baskets. you better putt well. 25 great holes. just a blast to play.
ashe county - beautiful park. short and long tees almost create two separate courses. a hike but worth it.
bear tree - some of the prettiest holes in disc golf. pretty private, though. a big hike.
stumpy creek - overlooked being just outside the mecca. fun course. longs are pretty darn tough.
I consider Bracketts's and Stumpy part of the dreaded Charlotte scene, which is a "terrible" place to play DG. Gastonia courses are also part of the Charlotte scene (less than 20 miles) as is Winthrop (S.Carolina) and other nearby courses. This is the main reason I decided to retire in the Charlotte area.:):):):)

If you are in Jacksonville, you should definitely play Richlands, Northeast Creek, and Glenburnie. There are 3 courses in the Wilmington area now Castle Pain, Arrow Head, and Cure Beach. The 3rd Saturday of every month is the Craven Chains Monthly(Glenburnie Park), always a great group of players. Also my home course. OFDA(Jacksonville), I think does it every 2nd sunday of the month, alternating courses. I usually hit the one at Richlands cause I love that course for some reason, and the club is a fun bunch of guys. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Richlands is an interesting course. I hate it b/c it's so open but b/c of that it's really unique to NC.

IF 10 people play it, you get 8 3's, a 2 and a 4.

Last year in the advanced division, every 5 some I played in 3'd the hole. That's 20 for 20.

20 people. That sounds like an exhaustive conclusion.

I will admit that hole is ****ty... but I would like to know which holes exactly people are calling tweeners. I'm not saying they aren't there just want to know which ones you are calling out. That's the only bad hole on the course IMO.

No, they all suck. Just wait until you play Apex Nature Park. All those holes will be perfect.

It is too early to tell. I have heard no plans for a disc golf player effort towards a work day. I will be sure to put exactly as much effort into Apex as the local players and 'designers' put into our neighboring Pittsboro. New013, I am fairly sure we will not be invited to the first official round, but I will officially hold the first unofficial beer and wing round about 2 miles from the course. And you, and many of the TCP will be welcome to sample some cold brews, and hot wings at casa de Sloppy!

Latest posts