• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best season to play?

Best Seasons for Disc Golf

• Total voters
The Fall in Texas is the best.

Summer - Too hot
Winter - Too cold
Spring - Too windy
Fall - just right

The hardest time to play down here is in the Summer, which seems to last at least 6 months. However, the other 6 months are money. It's hardly ever too cold to play here, and if it is, it was just a cold front and will most likely be nice in another day or two.

The hardest time to play down here is in the Summer, which seems to last at least 6 months. However, the other 6 months are money. It's hardly ever too cold to play here, and if it is, it was just a cold front and will most likely be nice in another day or two.

Early morning and late evenings are also money in summer! :D

i live in the deep south. Doesn't get too cold. Winter is fantastic because it's cool enough to play ALLLLLL day and not get worn out.

Summer is great. Fall is great. Winter is great (easy to lose discs though). Spring is great (too wet at times.)

I can't believe there's not more love for winter. Snow throwing is so epic! (So long as the snow is not unreasonably high). And my home course has a terrific winter 24 to play.

I love playing year round. Different seasons present different challenges, and I think it's a lot of fun to play the same course in totally different conditions. It really makes you think about what discs to throw and how to approach the hole. I've played in temperatures from -20 to 115 F, and in snow, rain, hail, and a wind storm with gusts up to 50mph. There really isn't a season or weather short of a hurricane or tornado that keeps me off the course.

I live in San Diego, so all year round is almost the same weather (just thought I'd rub it in) but since I play Morley at 7am or so in the morning to beat the crowds, I like the fact that they aren't blasting the sprinklers as much in the non-summer months in the morning...When I travel, I play no matter as much as I can and have played in all weather except snow...have never played with snow on the ground since I don't own true winter gear, but I have played in very cold weather (like 20's and didn't like it much :)

I have lived in 3 different states, so it really depends on where you live. So I'll answer state by state

CA- All year
AZ- From October to April, May thru Sept. (although a few days in these months aren't bad) is just too hot
FL- All year, except the summer can be hot, but you deal with it

I chose the winter because I have only lived in sunny states. But CA is the best weather-wise, just needs more courses......

¾ year is great - winter is questionable - cold isnt an issue for me - i refuse to play in powder as it's many times worse than looking thru high grass. An iced over course is equally no fun - especially if the baskets are on hills. After playing a few times in winter last year it's pretty much not worth it in those conditions.

If there's no snow or the snow is hard packed and a disc won't penetrate it - i'd play for sure.

Tough call. I love the challenges every season presents.

Summer is my least favorite I'd guess. And I went with the flow and voted Fall as best, but Spring is a very close 2nd, especially May. And I love playing in winter. 0 degrees and a negative wind chill is not for the feignt of heart. And I'd rather play in those conditions than what I did this past weekend, Mid to upper 80s, humidity to match. I hate the heat.

Def. fall for me even though it normally takes a little longer to play because of the occasional lost disc in the colorful leafs.

since I play Morley at 7am or so in the morning to beat the crowds, I like the fact that they aren't blasting the sprinklers as much in the non-summer months in the morning.

I've always loved early morning rounds at Morley dodging the sprinklers. It's the one time when you can really play the course without the waits.

year round. I like heavily wooded courses the most. Playing heavily wooded courses in the winter gives you more defined pathways and is the safest time to try new heavily wooded courses as upkeep is no longer an issue. When the leaves come back a lot of these courses become unplayable because of no local group to trim and prune the new vegetation. But if forced to choose, I'll take fall.

Last edited:

Latest posts