• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

as an aside the wing will play a major role in how these fly
I don't have one yet but I looked at a buddies the other day...a 150 Destroyer
not an x-out
had double kabuki masks on it

he wasn't liking it
too understable and touchy and didn't fly like his regular Destroyers

when you looked at the wing the bubbles had changed the wing shape
it was a little more bulbous...the effect being almost a Destroyer L type wing if that makes sense

the tiny notch at the bottom near the rim was much less noticeable

Do you think the Boss (blizzard) would be as touchy if the destroyer is acting this way?

as an aside the wing will play a major role in how these fly
I don't have one yet but I looked at a buddies the other day...a 150 Destroyer
not an x-out
had double kabuki masks on it

he wasn't liking it
too understable and touchy and didn't fly like his regular Destroyers

when you looked at the wing the bubbles had changed the wing shape
it was a little more bulbous...the effect being almost a Destroyer L type wing if that makes sense

the tiny notch at the bottom near the rim was much less noticeable

That would be from HeroDisc. And I don't think they were true production runs. I worry about them getting these discs so fast, blank, restamped, and shipped out. So I wouldn't put too much stock in how it flew. But that's just my opinion.

I saw a "bulbous" rim blizzard disc the other day and AFAIK they are supposed to end up as x-outs. I threw my 152 blizzard destroyer today at sugaw and was really liking it (not so much the 150 boss). When I threw the destroyer on a slight hyzer into a headwind it stood up to about flat rode for a little bit then hyzer'd out with a decent skip at the end (almost aced). Was about a 370' shot.

Later I threw it hyzer with a tailwind and it held hyzer the whole way which surprised me. 370' shot.

Both were relatively effortless throws compared to the max weight driver I would have thrown.

throwers must also take into account the point of diminishing returns. you can throw a baseball further than a bowling ball, but you cant throw a golf ball further than a baseball.

But you can hit a golf ball farther with a golf club.

And they are supposed to float! The condor is going to get jealous.

Flick one yet? I have only thrown a 133g Destroyer yet.

I flicked the destroyer on hole 9 at Sugaw and parked it. I threw it a touch nose up and it didn't flip at all. 330' slightly uphill for those who don't know the hole.

edit: going to test if they float now...

going to test if they float now...

The 150 destroyer seemed just above neutral buoyancy. It floated well if I dropped it in the water right side up. If I dropped it in on a hyzer it sunk then rose back up. When I pushed it to the bottom upside down it really really slowly came to the top one side first.

The 152 boss does not float. Anyone want to trade for a blizzard boss that's been thrown <5 times?

What do you want for it, Scott? I love the Blizzard Boss. I don't have any Condors for you. I'm sure we can figure something out though. I've gotta pick up my Pro Starfire from you at some point anyhow.

I'm going to be testing my new Blizzard Apes tomorrow.
Got a prototype material Mamba also, but I'm not sure I want to throw it because its black and there was only 68 released.

given some of the recent posts it looks like, as always, there is some variance in the discs and the best bet would be to try to hand pick the disc (or have that done by a reputable dealer) for those having the truest wing to the non-blizzard standard production versions

assuming you want as close to original flight as possible

for someone looking to get a less stable type of flight to help stretch you out you might want to obtain discs where the wing is more convex than concave or pick a different mold (i.e. Katana rather than Destroyer)

(oh to be able to have a store that carried an awesome inventory of lots of models and makes and be able to hand pick what you want)

What do you want for it, Scott? I love the Blizzard Boss. I don't have any Condors for you. I'm sure we can figure something out though. I've gotta pick up my Pro Starfire from you at some point anyhow.

I'm going to be testing my new Blizzard Apes tomorrow.
Got a prototype material Mamba also, but I'm not sure I want to throw it because its black and there was only 68 released.

Cash is always good. But anything else useable would be fine. Do you have any dx glo aviars or rocs?

Oh, and I forgot your starfire so JD or JJ still has it.

I don't have any DX Glo... but I have tons of new DX Rocs lying around. I'd prefer to trade, if I was gonna pay for it, I'd probably hand pick one new myself. Did you get an Ice Bowl Roc or a Pizza Peel Flat Top Roc this weekend?

For anyone who is confused on how the gyroscopic effect works:
(Quoted from Blake_T)
Discs with wider rims have greater mass distribution on the outer edge of the disc and will have greater gyroscopic tendencies than discs with narrower rims and more mass towards the center of the disc. That is, a wider disc will be more difficult to turn over, but will be more apt to continue to turn once it has been turned. A wide disc will also be more likely have a strong fade at the end of its flight as the disc slows down. Also, the wider the rim, the more the disc will change its flight characteristics due to changes in disc mass.

A wide rim disc holds a large percentage of its mass on the rim. If you take two discs of the same wide rim mold, one heavy and one light, they will have roughly equal mass on the flight plate (it can only get so thin without collapsing) and the majority of the mass difference will occur on the rim. A disc with more mass on the rim exerts greater gyroscopic forces than a disc with less mass on the rim (assuming they are thrown the same). Discs with narrower rims carry less mass on the rim and more on the flight plate so the effects of mass changes will have smaller effects on disc stability between different discs in that mold.

Higher end plastics have greater density than lower grade plastics. The result is that a disc of a particular mold run in high grade plastic will have a greater percentage of mass on the rim than a disc run in low grade plastic. Thus, higher-grade plastic discs will hold stronger gyroscopic properties and will yield increased high-speed stability and more low speed fade than their lower grade plastic counterparts.

Obviously Blizzard discs changes most of that for the better.

This assumes you want less stability. Which might the case for noodle arms but not for players that already have big D.

Unfortunately I'm in the first category. So I'm thinking about trying a <140g Blizzard Destroyer: good max D design, light weight so easier to accelerate, should float when I don't get the D I needed. :hfive:

Well they're harder to flip, but won't come back as easy. You just have to have cleaner form. So yeah, OAT'rs won't like em.

This assumes you want less stability. Which might the case for noodle arms but not for players that already have big D.

Interesting you say that, the blizzard stuff definitely seems friendly for those of us who don't throw 600', but there are also some testimonials out there from some of the biggest arms saying this could be a game changer for big distance shots. Wiggins supposedly threw a blizzard boss 830'ish.

Im still going back and forth on getting one of these in either a katana or destroyer. Whats everyone's .02c about ordering these online? I have heard some inconsistencies with the amount of blizzard and that some could be x-outs. Whats the story?

"Wiggins supposedly threw a blizzard boss about 830'."

That sounds like an exaggeration if I've ever heard one.