• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Technology

I have a 150 Blizzard Destroyer, nice and straight with a hard fade at the end, much moreso than the 150 DX Destroyers I've thrown in the past. Great disc in any wind plus it seems to stay low. Bought a 150 Blizzard TeeDevil today, can't wait to try it out!

I picked up a 157 Katana today. The heavier Katanas are not Blizzard discs, just regular Champ.
They have no bubbles.
None.
My 157 has the same pearly metal salts in the rim, to ADD weight, as my 172 does.
Flies long and straight for me, it doesnt lean over nearly as much as my 164 King does.
This is NOT a headwind driver, but it does go a long way with dead air, or a follower.
I reached a place on one drive today that I've never been, left me with a long putt instead of an approach.
Me likey. :clap:

Always nice to see one of my threads go 1000+ posts.

No lie, blizzard are less stable then their heavier counterparts. I have a 172 and a 156 Katana (both champ). The 172 is the most stable disc I own and I cannot turn it over BH.

The 156 turned over right out of the box. We can argue all we want but they appear less stable to me.

I also have a 174 champ katana that is super stable. I got a 156 blizz katana and noticed the same thing.

I don't think this speaks to all blizzard discs though. The cfr champ katanas are really flat, whereas the blizzards are domey.

From what I have seen, the blizzard destroyers are more stable than star destroyers.

I don't know yet. I do like the 140 ape. It flies fast and straight as ****. The 150 blizz boss has become my flex disc of choice. I can release it on a ridiculous anny and it will hold and flex out beautifully.

I really don't need my non blizzard drivers anymore unless it is really windy. They give me extra d and after a back surgery, it is nice to not have to really hurt myself to keep up.

Played extensively yesterday with the 150 Blizzard TeeDevil. Really liked the disc, flies dead straight and fairly low, not much fade at the end but I wasn't turning it over. Popped a couple of shots 350-400, which is about my max. It was like a longer Wraith with less fade.

I also have a 174 champ katana that is super stable. I got a 156 blizz katana and noticed the same thing.

I don't think this speaks to all blizzard discs though. The cfr champ katanas are really flat, whereas the blizzards are domey.
You're right that it doesn't hold true to all Blizzard discs, and the domeyness isn't even what's strictly relevant in this case. It's pretty simply just PLH. I happen to have a 136g Blizzard Destroyer and two 172g Echo Star Destroyers that all have identical PLH. The Blizzard isn't quite as domey, but not flat either, the E* Destroyers are poppy tops. While the heavier ones are indeed more resistant to OAT and pierce through the wind better, the stability itself is exactly the same. The Blizzard is easier to launch at slightly higher speeds, but when thrown at roughly the same speed both turn and fade identically.

Whether the Blizzards tend to have higher or lower PLHs than regular versions of the same disc is one thing, but the lightness isn't what makes them less stable if they indeed are less stable. And for the record my friend bought a stack of 5 150 class Blizzard Bosses, they have higher PLHs than regular 175g Champ Bosses we have lying around, and they're noticeably harder to turn than those, but also lower PLHs than my ultra-hoggy Star Bosses and they're not as overstable as those.

Played extensively yesterday with the 150 Blizzard TeeDevil. Really liked the disc, flies dead straight and fairly low, not much fade at the end but I wasn't turning it over. Popped a couple of shots 350-400, which is about my max. It was like a longer Wraith with less fade.

Hmmm... I like the sounds of that. I've been very happy with my 150g Blizzard Wraith so far.

Do these Blizzard discs share the same mold with their non Blizzard counterparts?

I just picked up a Blizzard Ape and it looks and flies nothing at all like a production champ Ape. The PLH is noticeably lower, radically lower, like a different mold entirely. The champ Apes have a big flash line around the rim and the blizz ones do not. The dome seems different too. Is the cooling process that much different in blizzard plastic or are there actually different molds?

BTW the blizz Ape is a great disc. I hated the champ Apes, glideless meathooks, but the blizz Apes seem to get great glide with a tiny little bit of flip high speed and a hard fade at the end. I am getting 30' of forward skip on the end from the hard fade.

Do these Blizzard discs share the same mold with their non Blizzard counterparts?

I just picked up a Blizzard Ape and it looks and flies nothing at all like a production champ Ape. The PLH is noticeably lower, radically lower, like a different mold entirely. The champ Apes have a big flash line around the rim and the blizz ones do not. The dome seems different too. Is the cooling process that much different in blizzard plastic or are there actually different molds?

BTW the blizz Ape is a great disc. I hated the champ Apes, glideless meathooks, but the blizz Apes seem to get great glide with a tiny little bit of flip high speed and a hard fade at the end. I am getting 30' of forward skip on the end from the hard fade.

I can't remember where now for the life of me, but Innova said that they were the same molds (facebook, maybe). Definitely seeing cooling effects due to less plastic, no weighting agent, etc. They've had a lot of variation but it seems like they've got it down now and the latest batches I've seen have been remarkably consistent and well-finished.

The Wraith I picked up is *identical* to its 175g pro Wraith cousin from a couple years ago and with proportional power adjustment, flies the same (at the same power it's easier to turn, but it's not flippy until the winds get up). None of the blizz that I've seen has had any flashing (surprising), and what most surprised me about the latest batches was how smooth the surface was...minimal to zero of that sandpapery rough surface that a lot of the earlier ones had. Katanas seemed to have more of that.

Sooooo this probably sounds crazy, but I walked into my local PIAS and had an employee tell me he got his hands on some STAR blizzard Bosses when picking up his order in Rock Hill. Low and behold, he was right. It's certainly star plastic with no bubbles in the flight plate but they had that noticeable 'bubbly-like' quality around the rims. He had only 10 of them, and I picked up a 130g that weighed in at 148 on their scale. Same parting line as a 150g champ blizzard boss at the store. Eager to try it out..or hmmm...should I sell it?...

Oh, and it has the regular production run star stamp on it. I'll post a pic when I am done writing a stupid paper.

Sooooo this probably sounds crazy, but I walked into my local PIAS and had an employee tell me he got his hands on some STAR blizzard Bosses when picking up his order in Rock Hill. Low and behold, he was right. It's certainly star plastic with no bubbles in the flight plate but they had that noticeable 'bubbly-like' quality around the rims. He had only 10 of them, and I picked up a 130g that weighed in at 148 on their scale. Same parting line as a 150g champ blizzard boss at the store. Eager to try it out..or hmmm...should I sell it?...

Oh, and it has the regular production run star stamp on it. I'll post a pic when I am done writing a stupid paper.

I heard a guy talking about Star Blizzard at a tournament a couple weekends ago. I'd be interested to see one. :thmbup:

(DISCLAIMER: I tasted the Blizzard Kool-Aid early on, and am now eagerly guzzling every flavor. I am currently in a torrid love affair with my blue 150 BlizKat, which I rub myself on every night in bed.)

Went and fondled about 15 Star Blizzard Bosses (all white) last night, except that while PIAS here hand-wrote "Blizzard" on the tag, they are stamped and labeled as regular Star. An Innova staffer told me they are not Blizzard, but when I said the rim sure looked awfully bubblefied and asked what the distinction between these and Blizzard discs is, he said "Semantics."

I picked out a 145. (Caution: Only about half of them weighed as marked. Two 150s were 145.) The PLH was very close to the Champ BlizBosses they had there, and I chose the one with the highest PL.

With limited FH and BH throws at lunch today, it had slightly more turn than my 8/10 138 and 139 BlizBosses, with more glide, which I almost hesitate to say since the Champ BlizBosses are glide demons.

YMMV. For comparison purposes, I used to say I'm a 325' arm, but after throwing my BlizBoss at The Clash on Hornet's Nest #2 past the rise behind the green power box (390'+), I don't know what to say anymore.

I am curious how they'll wear in. I've been real pleased with the break-in factor for ChampBliz; have to think these'll turn more, quicker. I'll have more throws with it at Am League tonight

I normally stay disc'd down and use fairway drivers but I had to splurge on a 134g Blizzard Katana. I really wanted the Wraith but both of the local shops were sold out.

This disc is amazing. I rarely use it unless the conditions are optimal (no headwind or cross winds) but it is very predictable. I had a bad issue with it turning over on me but my form is slowly improving and I'm noticing more and more distance out of it. It is very understable for me but always has a reliable fade at the end.

I heard a guy talking about Star Blizzard at a tournament a couple weekends ago. I'd be interested to see one. :thmbup:

Someone is selling the star blizzards on the MP. Didn't know they were trying it with star plastic. Would be interesting to see.

I'm still not jumping on the bandwagon but I liked some of what I've read. People who make a good throw do get more distance. The blizzard technology enables Innova to manufacture the discs without subtracting material to make them lighter. Hence, more durability and less likelihood of tacoing a disc into a tree. I had hoped it would make a good FH disc, but from other posts it seems you need a really clean FH to make them fly right. I need to work more on my FH for certain, but it might be a good option at some point. <Rambling mode off>

I recently picked up a 156 bliz boss and a 153 bliz destroyer. The boss is suprisingly stable and flips minimally when i crank on it. I'm getting it easily 500'+ on a slight s curve. These things hold up in some crazy winds too. I think they'll stick around in the bag for a long time.

I've been trying out a few different Blizzard molds. I got a 150 Katana, and this is by far the longest disc i've ever thrown. It's nice to throw at 75% power, and get the distance and control. Though if i try to really rip it and don't get it on enough hyzer release, say good bye it's going right and far. Nice and smooth is the way to go. I have 2 150 teedevils one is long and on the understable side, but it always works it's way back. The other is a little overstable, still breaking it in in the field. I also have a wraith, destroyer, and just picked up a boss today. The Wraith is flippy,and the Destroyer hasn't beat my 171 star out of my bag.

My Bliz Boss changed.
Real fast.
Went flippy like R-Pro does after only a couple of rounds.
My fresh Bliz Kat is more overstable than the Boss now.
The Boss was doing so good, for like 2 rounds.
Sorry Dave, but I'm not buying 56 of these a year, I'm out.

I've been using my 151 Boss and 150 Destroyer for a couple dozen rounds at least, and I haven't noticed any real change in flight yet. Although I don't tend to whack trees with them.

I noticed slow break in with my blizzard bosses, I would say they are less durable than typical star or champ discs, but more durable than dx or pro. I don't have a major complaint on durability.