• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BlueBerry Hill vrs Flip City

Dude is lucky. He has played 12 courses and 2 of them are 5s.;)
Seems to me he felt the need to knock it down from #1 because it wasn't his personal fave. If it already would have been #3 or so I bet he would have rated it 1/2 to 1 disc higher. It matters not though. Nothing wrong with being #3.

He must put a lot of emphasis on this site though - he pondered the question "#1 in the world". Not so, just happened to be #1 on this site. With far less reviews as Idlewild and Flip, all the Top 10 courses are much more volatile, and can't hold up to low disc ratings. Hornings will drop quite a bit I imagine, from volatility of the Haters and Nitpickers trying to knock it down. The 3.5 rating of Blueberry was a drive-by and it hurt the overall ranking more because of the lower number of reviews. Flip and Idle can get 3's and lower, and still hold their ground.

Another reason the Top 25 should be listed on the home page - nothing wrong with #25 either. Let more of the general masses know about so many more of the fine courses out there, not just 10, or which probably half are shrouded in controversy and drive by rating abuse. There are lots of courses in TX and the east coast that should have some better representation on this site. Not by followers, moreso some recognition. For the average user of this site who visits the homepage for the first time and just browses, why not publish a list of the Top 25 courses so he can see a smorgasbord of fine courses this country has to offer, and maybe one closer to him as a recreational and non-travelling player?!?!?

His review was embarassing - he definitely rated the course that way because Blueberry was rated #1. Complaining about the tees? That's laughable - the tees at Blueberry are grippy, big enough, and much better than 85% of tees at courses in the US. Reviews like that make me dislike the system of reviews. Reviews for courses should be changed to reflect people that have played enough courses and in enough states. That's my two cents.

Maple Hill >> Blueberry (haven't played Flip) >>>>> Hornings (although its still a good course - but WAY over-rated!)

I at least agree that Maple >> Blueberry but Blueberry may actually be close to falling out of my personal top 10.

Seems to me he felt the need to knock it down from #1 because it wasn't his personal fave. If it already would have been #3 or so I bet he would have rated it 1/2 to 1 disc higher. It matters not though. Nothing wrong with being #3.

He probably rerated it three times, first at 4.5, then 4 then 3.5 and when it finally took it to third he was satisfied.

Oh was that a little tinfoil hattish?

Maple Hill >> Blueberry (haven't played Flip) >>>>> Hornings (although its still a good course - but WAY over-rated!)

Andrew sniffs glue, don't listen to him. :)

Horning's Hideout is pretty awesome! Maybe not #2 I have nothing to compare it with but other Oregon courses and it's the best in Oregon. Yes better than Milo or Whistler's Bend! SHAZAM!

99% of the reviews of this course are from locals who have barely played out of the state. I think if they played some TOP tier courses in other states they would see that flip is just not that great of a course. It doesnt even have any water not a single drop. One hole at BB has more water than the whole course at flip it also doesnt have a wilderness aspect to it some courses you get a sense of accomplishment and adventure just playing it, this is NOT one of them. I was extremely disappointed with this course after all the hype from the 100+ flip fan boys.

His review was embarassing - he definitely rated the course that way because Blueberry was rated #1. Complaining about the tees? That's laughable - the tees at Blueberry are grippy, big enough, and much better than 85% of tees at courses in the US. Reviews like that make me dislike the system of reviews. Reviews for courses should be changed to reflect people that have played enough courses and in enough states. That's my two cents.

I still think a review should have a minimum of 25% thumbs up. If it drops below that it shouldn't be counted into the overall rating. One individual can trash or overrate a course in their review, but if next to no one the DGCR community agrees with it, then why should it count?

I one time rated a course only 2 1/2 discs because someone got an ace and yelled "hell yeah". I just can't rate a course good when people are using language like that. ;)

And let the anarchy begin. :)

The funny part is - there are some valid points you made, but it's just so poorly written that it'll be viewed as crap. Give it a low rating if you want, just write a good review to go with it. I mean you wrote as much in one post as you did in the review...

Also - the 18 courses you have posted a good list - have you played more - because it's always suspect when your only two reviews are Flip and Blueberry.

Last edited:
99% of the reviews of this course are from locals who have barely played out of the state. I think if they played some TOP tier courses in other states they would see that flip is just not that great of a course. It doesnt even have any water not a single drop. One hole at BB has more water than the whole course at flip it also doesnt have a wilderness aspect to it some courses you get a sense of accomplishment and adventure just playing it, this is NOT one of them. I was extremely disappointed with this course after all the hype from the 100+ flip fan boys.

Just to clarify, I am a local, and I have not played out of state.

My opinion on the water hazard issue at flip:
The point of a water hazard is to make out of bounds a bit more interesting and to increase the risk/reward of a certain shot. The OB at flip is mostly rock gardens/sculptures which in my opinion are far more unique and interesting than a water hazard, and it keeps the risk/reward intact. I'd define "risk" as risking strokes on your score, not plastic.

And your claim that Flip "doesnt have a wilderness aspect to it" is absurd since it is on a dirt road 20 minutes from any sort of civilization.

I still think a review should have a minimum of 25% thumbs up. If it drops below that it shouldn't be counted into the overall rating. One individual can trash or overrate a course in their review, but if next to no one the DGCR community agrees with it, then why should it count?

This seems valid in theory. However, if the "Homeboys" have the ability to make a review obsolete by "thumbing-down", they will do so whether the review was well-written or not. I have learned quickly on this site that you can write a thorough review with plenty of information, and if it is contrary to the popular belief of locals, you will definitely get thumbs-down. Making a rule such as this gives the locals even more incentive to misuse the helpful/non-helpful.

Make this apply if it is under a certain amount of words. Most of the ones we are talking about barely have 40 words:wall: and they are not bullet point style reviews.

I don't find water to be a pro.

i like how people review flip and say how easy it is and how good they shot ,then u check there profile and they have no pdga rating posted..hmmm:doh:..and brettsux didnt give a very detailed review why he rated a "averaged 4.85 course" a 2 1/2 disc,reguardless of what course it was doing that causes an issue. This makes me think we have a bunch of 12 year olds reviewing courses

typo:brettsup:)

also to anyone that has yet to play flip city and is wondering if its overated,the amenities and cleanliness and landscape makes this course a 4 without even bringing "design" into play.Everybody needs to grow up,this site isnt about "my fav course" vs "your fav course". its to give people a general idea of what to expect at a particular course. i ask why is it not that simple???????????????

Latest posts