• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams Suspended

Given what we know, was the PDGA suspension of Bradley Williams correct?

• Yes, and the amount of time was correct.

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Yes, but the amount of time was not correct.

Votes: 69 29.1%
  • No, the process was flawed.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No, Bradley Williams should not have been suspended at all.

Votes: 16 6.8%

• Total voters
I saw BW made a statement today that he is sitting out.
I think its a very smart move on his part.
It puts him in a good position with the pdga for his appeal.
It removes the distraction from the event.
And it lets things calm down a bit.
Lets hope he continues to make solid decisions.

What recourse to players have for anything in non-sanctioned events?

Just the reputation and integrity of the TD, because there are no standards for rules, payouts, refunds, discipline, or anything else.

I've played in and run both sanctioned and non-sanctioned events, and don't mean to knock the latter. If it's what TDs want, or what they think their players want, go with it. But the lack of standards is one of the trade-offs.

I'm wondering how HOTT will handle this stuff since they are protesting PDGA. I have played a few non-sanctioned tournaments, although small, they have pretty much said follow pdga play as a guide. Since HOTT is larger and has bigger payouts they will have to make their own rules and really dot the i's.

I saw BW made a statement today that he is sitting out.
I think its a very smart move on his part.
It puts him in a good position with the pdga for his appeal.
It removes the distraction from the event.
And it lets things calm down a bit.
Lets hope he continues to make solid decisions.

It wasn't his choice to make. He was suspended by the PDGA and the DGPT.

To your point about major PDGA events and points, how about the decision to change the requirements for next year's AM World's in the middle of the season?

Didn't that move screw the very same AM's that the PDGA cares so much about?

My conspiracy is that the PDGA knew this was coming so they ramped up the number of points so that if you commit to playing unsanctioned events you'll fall short.

I'm wondering how HOTT will handle this stuff since they are protesting PDGA. I have played a few non-sanctioned tournaments, although small, they have pretty much said follow pdga play as a guide. Since HOTT is larger and has bigger payouts they will have to make their own rules and really dot the i's.

They don't have to make their own rules, though they have the freedom to do so (one of the benefits of non-sanctioned).

They can just state that they're following PDGA rules, and payouts if they wish, which is what most non-sanctioned events do.

Players have to trust them, since they have less recourse. See ADGT. If this is a well-established series with long-running TDs, it may not be too big a deal.

Just the reputation and integrity of the TD, because there are no standards for rules, payouts, refunds, discipline, or anything else.

I've played in and run both sanctioned and non-sanctioned events, and don't mean to knock the latter. If it's what TDs want, or what they think their players want, go with it. But the lack of standards is one of the trade-offs.
Can't speak for everywhere, but our statewide series has 33 events on it, (plus 14
charity events during winter akin to the Ice Bowl). Only 8 of them are PDGA sanctioned. In the unsanctioned tournaments, pretty much all aspects of gameplay, payouts, etc. work the same way they would in a sanctioned event. The most obvious departure from PDGA protocols would be relaxation of the no drinking rule, and the occasional local rule being adopted (two throws on the first hole, DROTs and wedgies count, etc.).

While problems with the uglier side of the sport can happen, they've been a rare issue.

They don't have to make their own rules, though they have the freedom to do so (one of the benefits of non-sanctioned).

They can just state that they're following PDGA rules, and payouts if they wish, which is what most non-sanctioned events do.

Players have to trust them, since they have less recourse. See ADGT. If this is a well-established series with long-running TDs, it may not be too big a deal.

I meant since this act was to protest/break away from the PDGA it would seem hypocritical to use their rules. They are established and have held a long running series so I believe they are capable of handling it but am wondering how.

It wasn't his choice to make. He was suspended by the PDGA and the DGPT.

Is the event sanctioned by BOTH the PDGA and the DGPT? Can DGPT even "sanction" anything, they have no rules, regs.... If it is non sanctioned by PDGA standards, I don't see why he cannot play. What would the possible repercussions be?

Dodge made a statement that he was suspended from the event.

Lol, what if the TD lets him play? Dodge makes another interwebz proclamation and non transparent penalty? I was really looking to continue delving into the delicious irony of the entire thing. :eek:

I meant since this act was to protest/break away from the PDGA it would seem hypocritical to use their rules. They are established and have held a long running series so I believe they are capable of handling it but am wondering how.
There really isn't that much difference in the functional running of an unsanctioned event than a sanctioned one except perhaps dealing with some statistical matters such as series points, and perhaps dealing with series fees, which many of these series are already handling.

So true. Some people need to be burned first before they'll believe the fire is hot. Knowing the criteria for what makes a sanctioned tournament C/B/A-tier tells you so much about the value you can expect in payout and such.

The debate for separate governance for pro disc golf is a healthy one (if the interested parties would just calm their nipples a bit and be more patient), but any move to pull amateur disc golf (and I include Open at C and B tiers in that) away from the PDGA is a HUGE mistake I want no part of.

Lol, what if the TD lets him play? Dodge makes another interwebz proclamation and non transparent penalty? I was really looking to continue delving into the delicious irony of the entire thing. :eek:

Considering he's the boss, I would imagine he's got a little bit of pull with the TDs.

There really isn't that much difference in the functional running of an unsanctioned event than a sanctioned one except perhaps dealing with some statistical matters such as series points, and perhaps dealing with series fees, which many of these series are already handling.

Sure, but I think the point being made is that it's hypocritical to sever ties to the PDGA while condemning them, and then ride on their coat tails (by using everything they develop; rules, technical standards, etc.) in order to execute your tournament. Without contributing.

Unsanctioned tournament TDs are, to me, like people who don't pay their taxes citing their issues with the government, but continue using the roads and infrastructure. None of us is ever going to be 100% satisfied with the way things are in a democratic community built on compromise, but to be respected you participate in the process, do your part, and have your say. The PDGA is a long, long way from having done anything that justifies taking your ball and going home.

My conspiracy is that the PDGA knew this was coming so they ramped up the number of points so that if you commit to playing unsanctioned events you'll fall short.

So basically the PDGA is trying to strong arm TD's into sanctioning?

Otherwise AMs won't play their events?

Latest posts