• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bradley Williams Suspended

Given what we know, was the PDGA suspension of Bradley Williams correct?

• Yes, and the amount of time was correct.

Votes: 122 51.5%
  • Yes, but the amount of time was not correct.

Votes: 69 29.1%
  • No, the process was flawed.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • No, Bradley Williams should not have been suspended at all.

Votes: 16 6.8%

• Total voters
Physical assault is a really overblown statement.

Barry wanted to talk to a spectator who was bothering him and pulled on his shirt. Followed that up with a calm conversation explaining how he felt the spectator was out of line.

Yeah but did he shoulder bump him?

That's assault you know.

They linked to Steven's diatribe as the rationale for their unsanctioning. In other words, if you want to participate in any of the major PDGA events, you can't commit to playing their series because you won't get the points you need. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

It does bother me that a player run organization spent years building the infrastructure on which these guys built their business, and now due to the actions of a single out of control player who really earned what he got, they are going after the PDGA.

Texas, seceding from the union one disc golf event at a time. :D

To your point about major PDGA events and points, how about the decision to change the requirements for next year's AM World's in the middle of the season?

Didn't that move screw the very same AM's that the PDGA cares so much about?

They linked to Steven's diatribe as the rationale for their unsanctioning. In other words, if you want to participate in any of the major PDGA events, you can't commit to playing their series because you won't get the points you need. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

The compensation is getting to play with Bradley Williams in a discipline-free zone.

That's sure to be interesting, too.

Post the video of it!

No.

It's not even worth the time to chop it up and post it's so minor. It was obvious during the round that the spectator was irritating Barry and was being unintentionally rude(may be too strong a word). Besides the slight pull on the shirt which Barry immediatly apologized for I thought he handled it very professionally.

It shouldn't have even been brought up but I understand people like to blow things out of proportion on the Internet

No.

It's not even worth the time to chop it up and post it's so minor. It was obvious during the round that the spectator was irritating Barry and was being unintentionally rude(may be too strong a word). Besides the slight pull on the shirt which Barry immediatly apologized for I thought he handled it very professionally.

It shouldn't have even been brought up but I understand people like to blow things out of proportion on the Internet

If the video proves this you should post it. I know it does not. This is just a Hilary email stance on your part.

You could also post the whole video and let us sift through it. I doubt you will provide this either.

I challenge anyone to find a faster growing sport. When you do, I won't be answering my door. :D An FYI, once every four or five years someone looks, there's never been anything close. I'd bet youth soccer has now, but it's a multi billion dollar growth industry.

I am pretty sure Cornhole has grown at a greater rate than disc golf in the past ten year. But that begs the question it is actually a sport? They claim to be a sport. *shurgs*

http://americancornhole.com/american-cornhole-a-decade-in-developing-the-sport/

To your point about major PDGA events and points, how about the decision to change the requirements for next year's AM World's in the middle of the season?

Didn't that move screw the very same AM's that the PDGA cares so much about?

Shouldn't be a problem. After the qualifiers get in there will still be plenty of space for late registrations.

According to the post by HOTT, it had been coming eventually. They already have a pretty big following and history with multiple events having been run for 15-20+ years. I don't think it will hurt the amateur level of things. It probably gives them a little more freedom to do certain things with the events too. I know when I ran things with the Texas State University club and now with Bat City I have been a big proponent of not doing PDGA sanctioning because it can add a lot of work only to get ratings. It never hurt our turnouts. Plenty of other successful non-sanctioned stuff in Austin too - month match play brackets, multiple minis every day that qualify for a monthly championship with $500 added cash. Austin has never had a successful sanctioned league either.

If anything this move by HOTT just allows Brad to return to the area he cut his chops on and play events during his PDGA suspension. I was kinda looking forward to the chance to win some events down here too...

I agree that condoning his behavior is borderline sad. Suspending him was as much about protecting all players from being subjected to this sort of behavior, as it was to punish him. What recourse do any players have in HOTT to protect them from shoulder bumps or worse. In Michigan we have tons of non-sanctioned play, both leagues and tournaments. The atmosphere is considerably different, drinking allowed, smoking allowed.....Not that it is bad, if that is what you are looking for. Really it should be a option.

It does bother me that a player run organization spent years building the infrastructure on which these guys built their business, and now due to the actions of a single out of control player who really earned what he got, they are going after the PDGA.

Texas, seceding from the union one disc golf event at a time. :D

I want to play World's. If large organizations go the route of non sanctioning, those chances are hurt. Again, changing the structure for tons of Ams, based on the needs (will/whim) of a very select group of pros is only self serving and does little for the game. IMO

Anyone that knows Bravethrower knows that he wouldn't defend someone if he didn't think they deserved it. If he says the video is not worth posting, I believe him. Since when are people so mad about Barry getting upset with a spectator? He's not the one that got suspended for 18 months and needs some kind of defense in the form of video evidence (which would probably clear things up a lot in BW's case).

I want to play World's. If large organizations go the route of non sanctioning, those chances are hurt. Again, changing the structure for tons of Ams, based on the needs (will/whim) of a very select group of pros is only self serving and does little for the game. IMO
This is a substantial concern, IMO. Ams will have to travel further to play in a points event.

If the video proves this you should post it. I know it does not. This is just a Hilary email stance on your part.

You started this conversation with wild assertions of assault without a shred of substantiation. Why don't you tell us what you saw, your interpretation of the events and any evidence that it was assault. But I guess dragging some pseudo political gibberish into the conversation alleviates you of the responsibility to preface your OP with....."just sayin". Geez.

What recourse do any players have in HOTT to protect them from shoulder bumps or worse.

What recourse to players have for anything in non-sanctioned events?

Just the reputation and integrity of the TD, because there are no standards for rules, payouts, refunds, discipline, or anything else.

I've played in and run both sanctioned and non-sanctioned events, and don't mean to knock the latter. If it's what TDs want, or what they think their players want, go with it. But the lack of standards is one of the trade-offs.

Latest posts