• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Cale Leiviska was a top athlete in high school (good genes, nephew of Paul Molitor) but didn't have much history with disc sports like Brodie. Cale started sanctioned play in MPO (no sanctioned amateur play). His rating progression starting in May 2004 is similar to Brodie's rating increase in a similar time frame. Cale has never dropped below 1000 after getting to 1002 in Dec 2005 using 50 rated rounds. (We only did rating updates every 2-3 months at that time.)
974 15-May-2004
972 15-Sep-2004
953 15-Dec-2004
968 15-Feb-2005
977 15-May-2005
988 15-Jul-2005
996 15-Sep-2005
1002 15-Dec-2005

There are approximately 920 PDGA players rated 990 and above. I do believe, to achieve even a second tier status, more than a 1000 rating is needed. The top players have an ability to compete and a mental uniqueness, that gives a skill to do more than throw well, but to live in moment within competition. The vast majority of these 990 rated players are not touring pros, for various reasons. Many, despite being very good disc golfers, would not reach even second tier pros.

We have no idea if Brodie is any different. We are likely to find out in the next couple seasons, but currently he has failed to translate his skill into winning, or even really competing. He has a history of top level Ultimate competition and his disc golf journey is in its infancy, so we shall see.

ru4por, I understood Cgkdisc's comments very differently. I understood him to be saying "Cale had a similar case to Brodie thus far in that both ascended to 1000ish rated very quickly after picking up the sport." The implication being that Cale has maintained a top 20 rating for around a decade now, and Brodie might do the same. You're totally right that 1000 rated isn't second tier; I'd argue that it might not even be a third tier.

Also, can you clarify why you're hesitant to ascribe to him the ability to win? I definitely see his mental ability to win from his ultimate days (if you haven't watched him play ultimate you should, especially in an elimination game). He also has the work ethic, and clearly has the disc ability. I'm not saying he will definitely win, but the ability seems to be there. Thoughts?

With regard to potential longevity, Cale was 22 in 2005. Brodie will have fewer peak physical years but better equipment and training to get to 1030+ like Cale, now age 37.

Cale Leiviska was a top athlete in high school (good genes, nephew of Paul Molitor) but didn't have much history with disc sports like Brodie. Cale started sanctioned play in MPO (no sanctioned amateur play). His rating progression starting in May 2004 is similar to Brodie's rating increase in a similar time frame. Cale has never dropped below 1000 after getting to 1002 in Dec 2005 using 50 rated rounds. (We only did rating updates every 2-3 months at that time.)
974 15-May-2004
972 15-Sep-2004
953 15-Dec-2004
968 15-Feb-2005
977 15-May-2005
988 15-Jul-2005
996 15-Sep-2005
1002 15-Dec-2005

Cale was like 20 years old in 2004 and had healthy knees, well hell healthy everything and could play all day long every day. What Brodie did at age 32 and two bad knees to me is MUCH more impressive.

Cale was like 20 years old in 2004 and had healthy knees, well hell healthy everything and could play all day long every day. What Brodie did at age 32 and two bad knees to me is MUCH more impressive.
My point was just providing an example where a high-level athlete has done what Brodie has done so far, not necessarily whose achievements were more impressive.

ru4por, I understood Cgkdisc's comments very differently. I understood him to be saying "Cale had a similar case to Brodie thus far in that both ascended to 1000ish rated very quickly after picking up the sport." The implication being that Cale has maintained a top 20 rating for around a decade now, and Brodie might do the same. You're totally right that 1000 rated isn't second tier; I'd argue that it might not even be a third tier.

Also, can you clarify why you're hesitant to ascribe to him the ability to win? I definitely see his mental ability to win from his ultimate days (if you haven't watched him play ultimate you should, especially in an elimination game). He also has the work ethic, and clearly has the disc ability. I'm not saying he will definitely win, but the ability seems to be there. Thoughts?

I agree with you, Ryan. I don't ascribe him the ability to win in disc golf, because he has had no success doing so, within top pro competitions. I have seen a lot of him playing Ultimate, I am a pretty big fan of the game. Given he is hyper competitive, has some terrific frisbee skills and a history of dedication to athletic endevours, I think he is in a good spot to succeed. Though, I think age and his knees could be impediments. I also think the focus needed to succeed in disc golf, is different from that needed in adrenaline fueled games, like Ultimate could be.

My point was, I don't know. We will see. Despite my extreme disappointment with his blatant disregard for COVID, in his videos, I hope he does well.

"People want to know where the masks are... interesting"

d4WvmvQ.png

I agree with you, Ryan. I don't ascribe him the ability to win in disc golf, because he has had no success doing so, within top pro competitions. .

I agree, but why have championships, or even a majors, as his barometer for his success? I'd say his first year in has been an overwhelming success given everything that went on with Covid and him catching Lyme, and through all that he's about to hit 1000, won a B tier, placed well at an A tier and has improved dramatically.

Will he ever win worlds? No way, I just don't see that happening. It's getting crazy competitive at the top and I think those two bad knees are eventually going to slow him down.

But he could spend the next decade as a 1025 rated ultra successful brand ambassador social media star and one of the best disc golfers in Texas. You combine all that with his previous Ultimate resume and he could eventually go down as one of the top flying disc athletes of all time when his career is over.

Last edited:
I agree, but why have championships, or even a majors, as his barometer for his success? I'd say his first year in has been an overwhelming success given everything that went on with Covid and him catching Lyme, and through all that he's about to hit 1000, won a B tier, placed well at an A tier and has improved dramatically.

Will he ever win worlds? No way, I just don't see that happening. It's getting crazy competitive at the top and I think those two bad knees are eventually going to slow him down.

But he could spend the next decade as a 1025 rated ultra successful brand ambassador social media star and one of the best disc golfers in Texas. You combine all that with his previous Ultimate resume and he could eventually go down as one of the top flying disc athletes of all time when his career is over.

...and make a lot of money doing it... good for him if it all works out. He's doing all right in life.

I don't know. My Zones can do some pretty freaky things sometimes. I think I would have wiped that silly flying horse.

If he sticks with it, Pro Masters may turn out to be his best chance for big wins, Worlds, etc, as skill levels start to even out as his skill peaks and others plateau.

I doubted his long term commitment in my op, and that's still what interests me the most about him, just how long does he stick with disc golf? I'm also not convinced he's making a killing financially from disc sales and youtube views. A typical video of his now days seems to be taking a few months to get over 200k views, that's not good when you have over 2 millions subs, that tells me the majority of his subs are not interested in his disc golf journey. If my job was mainly to be a content provider, that would concern me greatly.

If he sticks with it, Pro Masters may turn out to be his best chance for big wins, Worlds, etc, as skill levels start to even out as his skill peaks and others plateau.

I doubted his long term commitment in my op, and that's still what interests me the most about him, just how long does he stick with disc golf? I'm also not convinced he's making a killing financially from disc sales and youtube views. A typical video of his now days seems to be taking a few months to get over 200k views, that's not good when you have over 2 millions subs, that tells me the majority of his subs are not interested in his disc golf journey. If my job was mainly to be a content provider, that would concern me greatly.

Right, if he sticks with it, absolutely. We shall see how it plays out. I don't see where else he goes though. As far as what he makes, I'm sure he's doing fine. Texas has no state taxes and is really affordable to live in, companies are moving there from the blue coasts, he's sitting well regardless. He's got Foundation (I wonder if it is incorporated in Texas? Smart if it is. Maybe that was one of the reasons to get Brodie on board? Hmmm....;))

When I walk into my local PIAS and see a couple dozen Freaky Zones on the shelf, I knew that Brodie is doing OK with Disc Golf.

If he gets a few bucks ($4-5) per disc and there's 20+ of them at my local PIAS...that's a lotta moolah across the country.
At this point, I doubt the videos are his main income stream.
They are his way to keep his name out there and promote his merch and signature discs.

That seems high per disc. For just sales from DC's website I could see that. Wonder if he gets a similar deal for dealer sales, is there enough profit to go around?

On the site that looks about right. I would imagine that to dealers it's lower, but the volume is pretty high. Plus he is likely making a cut on everything of his they sell to foundation, and then making another cut on everything they sell on site.

Latest posts