• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Hey Everyone! I was the individual defending the club in the twitter thread. Here's some background on the whole scenario (something that a simple tweet does not provide):

Over the years, Stafford Woods has had numerous problems with people altering the course (breaking branches, sawing down trees, etc). This is especially detrimental when many of the trees being damaged and removed are laurels, a type of tree which the local township provided explicit directions to protect. Unfortunately, these type of activities have increased with the growth of the sport, with individuals treating the area as if it was their own backyard. Various attempts were made to attract the attention of players who were not respectful of course rules, but these attempts usually ended with signage removed or destroyed.

eh...I've met a bunch of "Brodies" on the course the past few months. They're typically 15-20+ years old, carrying a bag full of discraft (which our local club sells alot of), dressing the part, etc. They are not mess making, smoking, beer drinking, etc, etc, noobs to the sport that don't give a $hit about the course, local club, etc. So I can see someone getting upset using their likeness linked to disrespecting the game. A simple "Hey...NOOBS!" would have worked just as well, maybe even better.

Of course Brodie (and Paul) handled it the wrong way, but whatever fires up the base I guess. Disc Golf is after all these days, all about social media and how to exploit that small niche. :rolleyes:

I first read it as Brodie's face. And I thought the message was don't leave Brodie's face, aka trash, on the course. Which, of course, would be incredibly mean spirited.

...but it is just an incredibly confusing sign.

I totally agree with Brodie on the gatekeeping point, but it made me laugh, and I think Brodie took this a little too personally. I get not wanting to be associated with course vandals, but Brodie is a chad, and he has to have some self awareness that he's a chad. Being a chad doesn't necessarily make you a bad person; it just makes you a chad.

And ya know what? When I see people litter on the course, they usually tend to be chads. The hippies are environmentally conscious and the dorks are too self conscious to pull a dick move like littering.

and why is Brodie such a big deal? Why does Discraft sponsor him?

Because of his social media presence and how many people discuss him. Just take a look at this thread....247 pages and 2462 posts about Brodie. Good or bad....it's still a bunch of focus on Brodie.

Haters love to hate....online.

Haters love to hate....online.

This is incredibly true.

However, personally, I've never said anything about Brodie online that I wouldn't say to his face.

Someday I actually hope I get to have that conversation. If something like this sign gets him this riled up, he's really not going to like my opinion of him.......

This is incredibly true.

However, personally, I've never said anything about Brodie online that I wouldn't say to his face.

Someday I actually hope I get to have that conversation. If something like this sign gets him this riled up, he's really not going to like my opinion of him.......

OMG YOU H8R

This is incredibly true.

I was part of a group that had a very public discussion with him about local pros playing DGPT events, while he was at Trophy Club a while back. Someone filmed it but I've never seen it online. He definitely seems to enjoy debating.

I was part of a group that had a very public discussion with him about local pros playing DGPT events, while he was at Trophy Club a while back. Someone filmed it but I've never seen it online. He definitely seems to enjoy debating.

You introduced yourself as the guy who started his thread on DGcoursereview, didn't you? :p

Chads:
Brodie
McBeth
Kevin Jones

Dorks:
Sexton
Heimburg
Lizotte

Hippies:
Conrad
Clemons
Philo

Then you have your hybrids:
Ricky - chad-dork
Eagle - hippie-chad
Nikko - hippie-dork

You can take it one step further and add the white trash designation, which can combine with any of the three base categories. Like Josh Anthon, who is a white trash chad.

It's simple math, really

Chads:
Brodie
McBeth
Kevin Jones

Dorks:
Sexton
Heimburg
Lizotte

Hippies:
Conrad
Clemons
Philo

Then you have your hybrids:
Ricky - chad-dork
Eagle - hippie-chad
Nikko - hippie-dork

You can take it one step further and add the white trash designation, which can combine with any of the three base categories. Like Josh Anthon, who is a white trash chad.

It's simple math, really
I really like this game.

Chad:
Drew Gibson
Austin Hannum
Adam Hammes

Dork:
Big Jerm
Eric Oakley
Thomas Gilbert

Hippie:
MJ
Barsby
Nathan Queen

I feel like this should be incorporated into the inevitable PDGA video game and work like types in Pokémon. Dorks are weak to chads are weak to hippies are weak to dorks?

Also notch Dickerson for the dorks and Nate Perkins for the hippies.

I really like this game.

Chad:
Drew Gibson
Austin Hannum
Adam Hammes

Dork:
Big Jerm
Eric Oakley
Thomas Gilbert

Hippie:
MJ
Barsby
Nathan Queen

Love this list but Queen is definitely not a hippie. He's a metalhead. Slip Eagle or Conrad into the hippie slot.

That makes sense.

And then there is one player who meets all three points. One player who embodies the true spirit of disc golf. Mr. Jeremy Koling.

Jerm is definitely a chad and a dork. Is he a hippie though? :popcorn:

Latest posts