• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

https://twitter.com/Brodiesmith21/status/1343729239699443712
"Sorry guys. I love disc golf and want to be the best. Unfortunately trying to do YouTube and this at the same time won't work. I'll still post videos, but as you can see by my lack of Vlogmas. I'm focusing on winning and not so much in YouTube views."

With 2.2m subs and only getting 40-80k views per video every 2 weeks, I'm guessing he is not happy. Not sure I buy the "wanting to be the best" comment, but just in case, does anyone think he can improve his rating by 30-50 points in year 2 and actually become an elite player?

In year two? I'm guessing no. My prediction for year two is 1015, which is still 1.5 strokes improved, pretty solid. I don't see him becoming elite level 1040, I think those two bad knees unfortunately will slow him down as his skills improve. Totally guessing here, but I'd say 1025 range, which will still make him one of the best players in Texas.

I hope he proves me wrong though.

If he were to become let's say the 3rd highest rated (touring) player in Texas in year 2, that would put him behind Emerson Kieth and Bradley Williams. Both have won Majors/A tiers and pretty sure Bradley still holds the record for most tournys played in a year.
Pretty good company to be among.

How many people have gone from sub-1000 to 1030+ in a year? I know that Clint Calvin did it this year, but it can't be very many people at all.

I think 1015 to 1020 would be a nice goal and impressive for year 2. I think he is probably too clunky to get to 1030 and he seems like someone that is hardwired to go for it and that isn't always conducive to optimizing your rating.

https://twitter.com/Brodiesmith21/status/1343729239699443712
"Sorry guys. I love disc golf and want to be the best. Unfortunately trying to do YouTube and this at the same time won't work. I'll still post videos, but as you can see by my lack of Vlogmas. I'm focusing on winning and not so much in YouTube views."

With 2.2m subs and only getting 40-80k views per video every 2 weeks, I'm guessing he is not happy. Not sure I buy the "wanting to be the best" comment, but just in case, does anyone think he can improve his rating by 30-50 points in year 2 and actually become an elite player?

I'm under the impression he thought this would be a cake walk, he'd come in, be an elite star, the face of a sport and rake in what little money there was to rake. Then he realized that, hey, DG is actually kind of tough. I can't compete with these elite guys that have been playing their whole lives.

He talked a big game, and didn't exactly back it up the way he thought he could. So he dropped out of the tour, focused on playing better, and is always making sure the world knows what he's doing.

Don't hear what I'm not saying. I'm not saying his first year at this wasn't incredible. It was. I'm not a hater. Just not a fan anymore either.

*Fully prepared to be blasted for this take.

I'm under the impression he thought this would be a cake walk, he'd come in, be an elite star, the face of a sport and rake in what little money there was to rake.

I think he achieved all that. (elite star, not elite player) After a year he realizes it's not worth his time to create disc golf content on youtube. We'll probably still see 30-60 second vids on TW and IG. Maybe his original contract required so many videos the first year.

Then he realized that, hey, DG is actually kind of tough. I can't compete with these elite guys that have been playing their whole lives.

Maybe his new contract includes a salary that allows him to focus more on his game. Year 1 was entertaining because it was fun to see his progress in the disc golf world on and off the course. Year 2 (and probably his longevity with the sport), looks to be all about his success or failure on the DGPT. The dude's a fierce competitor, I doubt he would settle for just being another 1000 rated player grinding the tour.

I'll call it now and eat crow later if I end up being wrong:

Brodie will have given up on disc golf, just like he did ball golf, before the end of the 2022 season.

The only reason Discraft took a chance on him is because of his social media, and if he is giving up on that, they have no reason to keep him around. He's a hype machine that is trending downwards

Brodie will have given up on disc golf, just like he did ball golf, before the end of the 2022 season.

"Brodie will have given up on disc golf, just like he did ball golf" ... only if he can't compete at the highest level, where the money is. At his age, married, etc, money has to be the focal point. He did mention axe throwing payouts recently and he has a history of axe throwing videos.

"Brodie will have given up on disc golf, just like he did ball golf" ... only if he can't compete at the highest level, where the money is. At his age, married, etc, money has to be the focal point. He did mention axe throwing payouts recently and he has a history of axe throwing videos.

Most of the payouts are small, even for winners.
I don't think it is about the money. In 12 years PMcB has averaged a little over $42,556 a year. Pretty poor for tops in any field.
I think he challenged himself, realized he was in over his head.
Step back, regroup, try again.

because I think people don't always read past the initial tweet:
MPNrXMt.png

How many people have gone from sub-1000 to 1030+ in a year? I know that Clint Calvin did it this year, but it can't be very many people at all.

I think 1015 to 1020 would be a nice goal and impressive for year 2. I think he is probably too clunky to get to 1030 and he seems like someone that is hardwired to go for it and that isn't always conducive to optimizing your rating.

I don't know about Clint....but if I had Brodie's opportunity I'd bet I could really improve my rating quickly.

1. Have Paul McBeth tutor me for free
2. Have access to all of Discraft's discs
3. Have Paul McBeth help me pick out the best discs for my game.
4. Have a lot of free time to practice (heck, this alone would benefit my game)

I don't think anyone would be thrilled that their picture is posted at a disc golf course, that they've likely never played, implying that they're the type of person to litter and steal discs.

I would think that the senior members of South Jersey Disc Golf are old enough to know that this is poor taste.

Latest posts