• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Well he's been selling dark horse buzzzes for the better part of five years... Not to mention doing a trick shot video with Avery some 8 years ago. So for people to think that 8 months ago he was like oh man I'll try this Discgolf thing is just ridiculous. He's got all the tools to be good, he's a top notch frisbee thrower. I just don't buy he just started a few months ago. In one podcast he talks about having a 10x KC Aviar. Kenny won his 12th in '06. Should I continue or do you kinda see where I'm going here?

You can keep doing whatever you want. But if you think there's a disc golf conspiracy going on and the dude was secretly playing disc golf for years then go ahead and be that guy. People would have already come out of the woodwork to say that they've played with him. Or know of him playing. I also saw Simon throwing an ultrastar once so I guess we should consider him an ultimate player? Good grief, man. I played a 9 hole course with my uncle when I was 8 so it looks like I've been a disc golfer for 26 years by your standards. He I am thinking I started at 19, turns out I'm a lifer!

Well he's been selling dark horse buzzzes for the better part of five years... Not to mention doing a trick shot video with Avery some 8 years ago. So for people to think that 8 months ago he was like oh man I'll try this Discgolf thing is just ridiculous. He's got all the tools to be good, he's a top notch frisbee thrower. I just don't buy he just started a few months ago. In one podcast he talks about having a 10x KC Aviar. Kenny won his 12th in '06. Should I continue or do you kinda see where I'm going here?

I'm pretty sure everyone already knows these things since they were talked about earlier in this thread and the thread that was started when the SImon/Paul video was posted...

...and there's a difference between occasionally playing a round of frolf and deciding to try to learn how to play disc golf professionally.

I'm pretty sure everyone already knows these things since they were talked about earlier in this thread... and there's a difference between occasionally playing a round of frolf and deciding to try to learn how to play disc golf professionally.

Fair enough. Apologies I haven't looked through the entire thread. Just for the record I have no problems with Brodie. He brings eyes to the sport and who wouldn't want to see him play well! It's the fanboys :gross: and the fact that he thinks a lot of things need to change in the sport.

He had such a massive head start. If he had decided to switch to his left hand at the beginning of the year then his progress would be truly impressive. Its an interesting story, how will a top frisbee thrower do coming into disc golf but it's not a story of how will a complete beginner fare, he was way beyond that.

Fair enough. Apologies I haven't looked through the entire thread. Just for the record I have no problems with Brodie. He brings eyes to the sport and who wouldn't want to see him play well! It's the fanboys :gross: and the fact that he thinks a lot of things need to change in the sport.

That was basically my opinion in the beginning as well. If he grows into a top level golfer, then it only benefits us as fans to have more competition. If he falls on his face, then we get to watch the carnage. Either way, he will likely bring more eyes and players to the sport...

...Now if he can get Calloway involved with event sponsorships...:D

I think he's just frustrated because he was trying to learn how to play, while also compete on some of our hardest courses on tour. Its one thing to try and learn what to do on courses you haven't played before but also when he's not really even confident in his own game to start with yet, its gotta be wearing on him. You could see it sometimes when he started struggling and/or getting fatigued that his Ulti form would start creeping back into his DG throws. It's got to be extremely frustrating trying to do a Yoda and "unlearn what you have learned" lol.

Not to mention, he's coming from a sport where he was arguably the best player ever, to one where he isn't even finishing in the top 50...or 70 or even top100 at that event.

But being hard yourself can be a good thing too. It may drive him to burn out but it also could drive him to be a great player one day.

Last edited:
Bad to mediocre disc golf is easy.

High-level disc golf is hard.

I understand his decision and applaud his work ethic and his willingness to evaluate himself honestly and publicly.

He is not where he wants to be, and now must put in the work to get there.

Last edited:
Every single thing he says in that video is correct. How is that being hard on himself?

There's probably a couple of different ways of looking at it.

If I were out on tour and finishing where he's finishing, I might say to myself, "Man, I really wish I was finishing higher. But 980 golf ain't too bad, and I'm having lots of new experiences traveling to these new places and playing in these really cool tournaments."

He seems to not have that attitude. He's saying "Man, I really wish I was finishing higher. I'm not playing good enough, I'm not playing smart enough, this sucks. What's the point in playing if I'm not even giving myself a chance to finish well?"

What he said in his video is completely true if he thinks he should finish in the top X% of the field. And that's a decision only he can make. Is it worth it to keep playing if you're gonna keep finishing in the bottom half of the field? There's a lot of casual joes out there who have spent the last 20 years improving from 850 to 890, and that's totally cool if they're cool with it.

Not necessarily my personal opinion, but it was really easy back in April to say, "dude, why are you signing up for DGPT events? Take a year playing B tiers and get your feet wet and figure out how to play." And now that he's stepping off the tour it's easy to say "Jeez, stick with it. Don't run away just because it turns out golf is a little tricky at times."
That is to say, it's pretty easy to criticize anything anyone does from my couch.

He seems to not have that attitude. He's saying "Man, I really wish I was finishing higher. I'm not playing good enough, I'm not playing smart enough, this sucks. What's the point in playing if I'm not even giving myself a chance to finish well?"
What he actually said was that he didn't feel comfortable off the tee and on the fairway. What he not said was that he felt uncomfortable putting. I can understand if he want's to feel the same way comfortable for throwing as for putting. The latter he seems to have practiced enough, the former he now sees to not have practiced enough.

(Throwing differs much more from course to course than putting. Therefore he might not be able to get used to it as quickly. But I understand the wish to.)

That is to say, it's pretty easy to criticize anything anyone does from my couch.
Well said.

I think this is very normal. Seems like he thinks all the attention and hype feels undeserved and unearned.He isnt just here in our game to sell plastic, he is here to compete.

At a disc golf marketing level, it doesnt help missing the big tourneys. We like to root for the charismatic underdog.

At a competition level, this makes all the sense in the world and he will still get the eyes from his social media/youtube. His form does need some work to be a top 30 guy and he has no time to fix bad habits while traveling.

Im happy he is taking a step back. I know he is trying his best to get good. He is putting in maximum effort and i respect it. He could easily just hang around mcbeth and make bank on plastic and merch.

Last week on Facebook a disc golf page posted Brodie's Idlewild score and place with a screen shot of the leader board. The 2nd reply was "Why the Brody(sic) hate"?
Now posting that info is considered hate. :doh:

DILLIGAF is the name of the page, the post was on Aug 9th.

Latest posts