• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I agree that if you throw your disc off the course boundaries it should be stroke and distance. I totally disagree with any in-course out of bounds. I think water should be considered a hazard and not OB. I also hate TDs requiring a drop in the drop zone (against PDGA rules if you don't have prior PDGA permission), but is common in our area events. The thing that irritates me the most though is the fact that there are times that you can take your drop closer to the hole than where your disc last crossed the OB / water hazard line.

All the confusion. maybe it's time for you to go back to ball golf... ? :clap:

Brodie is very vocal about a sport he's new to, which is what seems to bother some people. We're talking about someone very motivated, very extroverted and very driven. I suspect it's all part of the package and he's not going to shy away from saying what he thinks. He reached the top of one sport and now he's making a go as a legit pro at another. It's hard not to respect that.

There are a couple things Brodie has spoken up about that I thought were unnecessary. Like when he went on Twitter about how he didn't like the what Jamie Thomas was saying about him. Jamie took the high road and apologized, but I didn't think it was necessary for Jamie to do that. Brodie came across thin-skinned and kind of whiny to me by doing that. I would have loved to hear Brodie say something like, "I know I'm new to the sport and I have to earn the respect of the fans and the media by proving I'm serious about this. I'm confident I'm going to be able to do that." I don't think anyone could find fault with a comment like that, and he probably would have made a few more fans.

Then again, maybe being a little polarizing is actually helping him gain a following. It may even be a deliberate strategy. Wouldn't be the first time an athlete has taken that approach. Who knows? I hope he continues to play and does well.

FWIW, I have always been a proponent in sports that one gets better by playing with or against better players. I don't think his issues are mental, where some artificial confidence from winning some local C tiers will be of much use. His issues are more physical. He is good now, just not great yet. Not sure he gets to the next level by winning small tournaments against lower rated players.

I honestly believe he feels this way too--so the answer would then be one of image. Either pride is setting in, or he fears merch sales will tank if he continually is in the bottom third. Nothing wrong if that is his reason. But if he TRULY wants to be a top 10 sort of pro, the more pro tour events against top pros the better, and screw the merch sales. If its just about the benjamins, then carry on...Perhaps he needs to pick a main path this point.

I will say this, from my armchair, its a bad look dropping out of top tier events, for whatever reason. He should take a page from young Zach, who is certainly not shying away from the top competition whenever an event is feasible for him to attend.

Brodie is very vocal about a sport he's new to, which is what seems to bother some people. We're talking about someone very motivated, very extroverted and very driven. I suspect it's all part of the package and he's not going to shy away from saying what he thinks. He reached the top of one sport and now he's making a go as a legit pro at another. It's hard not to respect that.

There are a couple things Brodie has spoken up about that I thought were unnecessary. Like when he went on Twitter about how he didn't like the what Jamie Thomas was saying about him. Jamie took the high road and apologized, but I didn't think it was necessary for Jamie to do that. Brodie came across thin-skinned and kind of whiny to me by doing that. I would have loved to hear Brodie say something like, "I know I'm new to the sport and I have to earn the respect of the fans and the media by proving I'm serious about this. I'm confident I'm going to be able to do that." I don't think anyone could find fault with a comment like that, and he probably would have made a few more fans.

Then again, maybe being a little polarizing is actually helping him gain a following. It may even be a deliberate strategy. Wouldn't be the first time an athlete has taken that approach. Who knows? I hope he continues to play and does well.
Then he (and his super fan boys :rolleyes: ) should have no problem with people saying/giving their less than positive opinion(s) about him and what he's doing.

You would think bashing JT would have garnered him more fans round these parts.:D

FWIW, I have always been a proponent in sports that one gets better by playing with or against better players. I don't think his issues are mental, where some artificial confidence from winning some local C tiers will be of much use. His issues are more physical. He is good now, just not great yet. Not sure he gets to the next level by winning small tournaments against lower rated players.

I honestly believe he feels this way too--so the answer would then be one of image. Either pride is setting in, or he fears merch sales will tank if he continually is in the bottom third. Nothing wrong if that is his reason. But if he TRULY wants to be a top 10 sort of pro, the more pro tour events against top pros the better, and screw the merch sales. If its just about the benjamins, then carry on...Perhaps he needs to pick a main path this point.

I will say this, from my armchair, its a bad look dropping out of top tier events, for whatever reason. He should take a page from young Zach, who is certainly not shying away from the top competition whenever an event is feasible for him to attend.

I thought that he dropped out because he wanted to refine his skills off of the course. I believe that he mentioned field work and lots of repetitions to get to know his discs better. This can all be done close to home without trying to fit in his practice time between travel time, learning courses, and 3-4 day tournaments.

If he ends up playing some smaller tournaments in TX then he'll, to an extent, be killing two birds with one stone. He'll get more practice time in and will still be able to gain some tournament experience (of course against lesser competition) without having to travel across the country. Things like long backups can take some getting used to and this could be the opportunity to get in some reps at a lower stress level.

Social media in general allows for much bizarre and stupid stuff, and social media is what Bro-D does.

You say bizarre and stupid stuff like that's a bad thing. :|

(Stroke and distance is gay and Brodie is being a dumb "make disc golf be more like ball golf" nerd)

I find Dustin Keegan to be a far more interesting mediocre pro than Brodie.

giphy.gif

Does Dustin Keegan even tour anymore? I kinda forgot about him.

It only makes sense for Brodie to compare disc golf to ball golf because it is the exact same concept.

Its so weird to see ppl say we shouldnt compare the two or use examples from ball golf to improve disc golf. Ball golf has given disc golf structure and rules to legitimize it and eventually it will help turn it into a sport.(i hope)

I grew up playing ball golf and what got me over to mainly disc golf was ..

1: pace of play, alot quicker of a round
2: casual setting, its a nice walk through the forrest in street clothes.
3: It was easier, i didnt have to spend hours and hours of practicing to maintain a high level of play.
4: its cheaper, ball golf green fees got cray cray

Ball golf is so hard to get good at and impossible to maintain a high level of play without constant practice. Brodie knows this and understands disc golf could use a little more challenge.

It only makes sense for Brodie to compare disc golf to ball golf because it is the exact same concept.

Its so weird to see ppl say we shouldnt compare the two or use examples from ball golf to improve disc golf. Ball golf has given disc golf structure and rules to legitimize it and eventually it will help turn it into a sport.(i hope)

disc golf isn't a sport already?

Latest posts