• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Was he using a lid style disc or golf disc? I've seen his video where he teaches this Scoober shot. I throw it overhead at a 45 degree angle to get over or curve around the high left side of trees calling it an upside down shot. Haven't done it releasing mostly horizontal like he did for this putt and how he teaches it for Ultimate.

how many people will try that shot over the weekend? :) . . i will

I actually use that shot from time to time, but not just out in the middle of open area!

It's a good approach shot, glideless and fairly safe to not run far past the basket.

Was he using a lid style disc or golf disc? I've seen his video where he teaches this Scoober shot. I throw it overhead at a 45 degree angle to get over or curve around the high left side of trees calling it an upside down shot. Haven't done it releasing mostly horizontal like he did for this putt and how he teaches it for Ultimate.

It was his putting putter, I think.

Pars 18 for even par 980 unofficial

Same, I usually use a putter and want to land upside down. I've had a few throw-in's with it but but normally using it to lay up.

I use it occasionally on severe downhill shots also. There are a couple <200ft holes around here that seem like they were designed for that shot lol.

How do you generate an unofficial rating when the field hasn't finished? If it suddenly started raining the rating would go way up as the remaining players score worse.

How do you generate an unofficial rating when the field hasn't finished? If it suddenly started raining the rating would go way up as the remaining players score worse.

magic :D

but yes, as more cards come in the ratings 'readjust' a little bit. varying weather is one of the reasons why it's so hard to get real, accurate ratings, when people are on and off the course at different times

how many people will try that shot over the weekend? :) . . i will

I've been using the shot for a long time on short putts over bushes when my lie is close to the bush, etc. in lieu of a turbo putt. Don't know if I ever tried from a distance like that, though.

Edit... hadn't read the other replies that already basically say the exact same thing. :doh:

I've never seen that before. What are the benefits of that compared to a turbo?

Distance for one, not everyone can throw 50ft+ turbos like JohnE. You can bend it around trees and such. You can also mess around with the angle it leaves your hand to make it land upside down and slide or hit like a grenade.

One primary benefit is that headwinds have much less effect on the disc. When putting into the winds here on the prairie, I often flip the putter over and UD (upside down) it.

And I'd be happy to call it a scoober, too. I didn't hear that term until I got involved in ulty discussions years ago; 'scoober" has more character than "UD."

I always felt that when it was windy the disc could blow out of my hand before it got to the release position. I think the firm grip of a "scoober" would be better in windy conditions.
For the actual shot that Brodie threw, I don't see any benefit of a scoober vs a normal jump putt.

For the actual shot that Brodie threw, I don't see any benefit of a scoober vs a normal jump putt.
Other than practice and the fact the disc is more ballistic and less aerodynamic when upside down, meaning it's less affected by wind.

Turning the disc upside down also increases the size of the target, I'm RH and during normal putts when you hit the chains it drives the disc to the left, as everyone knows. So hitting the left side of the chains is almost always a miss.
When an upside down disc hits the chains it drives it down into the basket. So me hitting the left side of the chains does not create a spit out, it's always knocked down into the basket.

Nate said a few times during commentary (not related to brodie and this shot) about the intersection of comfort and probability or something like that, sine/cosine, playing the percentages, working the odds - which shot will work best in this situation vs which shot are you most comfortable with. And Brodie went with what he was the most comfortable with and that he felt would give him the best chance in that situation - not necessarily best chance of making that particular shot (that is part of it), but then making the comeback if/when he misses, and that paired with his interview yesterday - that he wants to commit to running more putts. Here comes the scoober. Like the lacrosse shot in hockey. or something.

It gets calculated based off the players who have finished. Every time a new score gets submitted, the ratings get recalculated for the field.

And yea, it's possible that the afternoon scores could be drastically different from the morning scores and end up adjusting the ratings in a significant way. However, most of the time the ratings are pretty stable once you get 30 or so scores in. They might move up or down by about 10 points, but a 900 isn't ever going to change into a 1000 just because more players finish.