• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

I have no problem with people having strong opinions on things.

Will go and listen tomorrow and see if I become enraged, haha!:wall:

It makes sense.

The person that grew up with the sport is groomed to accept status quo. And also he has exposure to other sports in ways unlike most pros.
And, frankly, he might be new to the sport - but I think he's clearly in it for the long-haul.

The guy's entire life is disc sports and building a personal brand through it. And his body has taken him out of the one he spent his prime athletic years in. He's making a clear and obvious transition, and he's good enough to make a living at it while building a brand to support himself within it long term. Its been clear from the beginning that the guy isn't going anywhere. He might be pretty loud for being so new, but he clearly sees this as his ticket moving forward.

And, frankly, he might be new to the sport - but I think he's clearly in it for the long-haul.

The guy's entire life is disc sports and building a personal brand through it. And his body has taken him out of the one he spent his prime athletic years in. He's making a clear and obvious transition, and he's good enough to make a living at it while building a brand to support himself within it long term. Its been clear from the beginning that the guy isn't going anywhere. He might be pretty loud for being so new, but he clearly sees this as his ticket moving forward.

Didn't he spend 3+ years trying to become a professional ball golfer? Clearly his entire life hasn't been disc sports. Making a brand, absolutely.

Didn't he spend 3+ years trying to become a professional ball golfer? Clearly his entire life hasn't been disc sports. Making a brand, absolutely.
Dunno how long he spent, but yeah I did hear about that. Wake-up calls happen. Seems he realized he couldn't build that brand away from his bread n butter.

Cherry picking

What is Disc Golf but Ball Golf and Ultimate combined? ;)

I dont like the guy but if you watched his ball golf, he got impressively good.

Brodie may have groomed himself perfectly for a disc golf career. In a year he got better than everyone on this forum.

Brodie may have groomed himself perfectly for a disc golf career. In a year he got better than everyone on this forum.

How are you gonna disrespect my man MJ like that. But yeah he has tons of talent and what most people don't have is time to dedicate his fully to discgolf.

I didn't follow his PGA progress, but if he was that good why did he quit?

Idk ask him....

The point is, alot of ppl are denying his talent and athletic ability. Claiming he is just a bro with a big mouth and the only reason he is good because blah blah blah...yes he is those things BUT he also has skillz.

Lots of haters lurk here.... I just like to poke them every now and then ...you know...to see who comments on my posts (wink wink)

Last edited:
Idk ask him....The point is, alot of ppl are denying his talent and athletic ability. (wink wink)

Wasn't being a smat a$$. His #1 goal is money, always has been. He's been very vocal about the money in disc golf compared to ball golf, so I was just curious if he was that good at ball golf...why didn't he stick with it. I know his social media presence slowed down a bit during his ball golf time, maybe his trick shot / ultimate followers are a little more acceptance of disc golf.

He can be really good at Golf and still not make any money from it, it's an incredibly saturated sport. Disc Golf does not have that 'problem'. Nevertheless he is skilled and dedicated.
I just wish he would back up his statements about what Disc Golf 'should do' with some actual reasons rather than just his feeling that it would be better. I am interested to hear what he has to say since he is thinking about it all the time, is fresh to the sport and is a proven cash generator, but every time I hear him say what should change there's no substance, just 'this is what Golf does'. Sounds familiar from these forums recently.

Wasn't being a smat a$$. His #1 goal is money, always has been. He's been very vocal about the money in disc golf compared to ball golf, so I was just curious if he was that good at ball golf...why didn't he stick with it. I know his social media presence slowed down a bit during his ball golf time, maybe his trick shot / ultimate followers are a little more acceptance of disc golf.

Exactly. And there is nothing wrong with that. I do caution against placing much importance to his take on "changing the game". He is interested in changes that benefit Brodie and potentially a couple hundred players globally.

While I concede making touring, for a living, a viable opportunity and see the potential for YouTube getting some eyes on the game, it is only a VERY tiny part of any "grow the sport" discussion.

Disc golf is a grassroot, amateur sport. This is where, nearly all efforts and money should be aimed. Changes to the game should be directed at ensuring this group of players are the benefactors.

I just wish he would back up his statements about what Disc Golf 'should do' with some actual reasons rather than just his feeling that it would be better. I am interested to hear what he has to say.....

If you haven't already, check out this recent podcast.....

Some pretty hot takes on the pro tour from Brodie. Cutting the field after 2nd round, payouts, no next day live coverage. wowza...

https://www.spreaker.com/user/ultiworld/upshot-brodie-output

OK, I tried. I find it just uncomfortable to watch. It is a self absorbed, weird experience. I might just be too old to get this kind of stuff. I would have love to see him thank the tournament staff and volunteers. Talk about the experience and the competition. Comment on how much work it took to give him the opportunity to play an A Tier event. Instead there is 20 minutes on his ratings. I suppose that it is normal today to post a hour video to tell everyone all about yourself. Shrug.....I don't really get it.

He can be really good at Golf and still not make any money from it, it's an incredibly saturated sport. Disc Golf does not have that 'problem'. Nevertheless he is skilled and dedicated.
I just wish he would back up his statements about what Disc Golf 'should do' with some actual reasons rather than just his feeling that it would be better. I am interested to hear what he has to say since he is thinking about it all the time, is fresh to the sport and is a proven cash generator, but every time I hear him say what should change there's no substance, just 'this is what Golf does'. Sounds familiar from these forums recently.

The bold part is what a lot of people get wrong. He is not new to disc golf.

he starts talking about the no next day coverage idea at 55:20. that was the only one I was interested in hearing about and it was, predictably, an incredibly garbage take

Latest posts