• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

When you start with the separating good from great stuff, it leans toward you thinking you are aiming toward great.

False, I did not lean towards, think or infer that I am great. I even stated that Im not calling myself great. Again, do a better job of reading and do not assume false things on other people.

A lot of those are pretty redundant and just fluffing up a list.

I mean, you basically just need to know what kind of ground play you get. You don't need to know when the grass was mowed and where the blade was set on the mower.

You may not register *bermuda and rye set at 7/16"* vs *blue grass at 1 1/4" cut* some of us might, but that's not the point, you're going to approach that basket sitting on the [ball golf] fairway differently than you'll approach that basket sitting in the rough vs the basket in the woods on bare eroded soil with roots showing.

I ask the park staff what the mower blade height was set to before every single throw.
Then figure out if the price of gas may have affected how often they mow. :|

Finally, I consult my horoscope and biorhythm.

You joke but last month during the gas shortage on the east coast a few parks in the area didn't mow for a couple of weeks.

You joke but last month during the gas shortage on the east coast a few parks in the area didn't mow for a couple of weeks.
Around here (NW Ohio, Black Swamp region) many parks won't mow the entire course until after Memorial Day. We wind up with near-knee-high grasses and weeds until then because it is favorable to the alternative of completely chewed up fairways where the tractor mowers get stuck and try to grind their way out. Low ceiling shots play very different depending on if we're pre- or post-holiday.

Love the direction the discussion went. For doubters of how many factors are calculated in the brain, both consciously and subconsciously, think about a short approach with a complicated or serious landing area. You're thinking about a lot of things! The pros think about those things from further out, with faster discs. The better players throwing a midrange shot are probably factoring in as many things as you do on a short approach.

I've noticed in the last couple of years that pros on coverage seem to be getting a little better with landing angles.

looks like the knee is starting to give him some problems...

https://twitter.com/Brodiesmith21/status/1402314023937347586
@Brodiesmith2 11:18 PM · Jun 8, 2021
Got an update from the doctor. No major tear or surgery needed. I do have really bad bursitis in my left knee. Will be getting more information later today. Thanks for all the prayers.

He has some highlights from PO on his twitter and is wearing a small wrap on the left knee. Maybe that's why he didn't play very well in the first round?...

Last edited:
I mean, we actually agree.

I have a hole at one course that is about 500'. I can't get there, but I accurately get out to 270 or so in the fairway. Leaves about 230' to the pin. I would usually work a midrange to the basket. But this green is a sharp downhill slope, the close left is poison ivy (no interest in going there, but a putt is available). The green is hard pack dirt and is wide open in the sun, ensuring NOTHING with stick.

I could throw a midrange hyzer.....landing 40' short and hope for a nice slide, but short of the green is pretty sticky grass.

I used to throw a Blowfly Blunt at this pin. Nice and sticky midrange, I don't bag it anymore. Now I pull out an ESP Chally and throw a nice high, lofty straight putter at the pin. I gives me the best chance to land flat, minimize skip and slide. Do I run through that list every time I play the hole....naw. I play the course enough to know. But, in a tournament, I will walk through the best scenario for each throw and try to make smart decisions based on the information.

Seems like this is what I often do walking to my next shot. I frequently have a semi plan made by the time I get to my disc.

Blowfly was a fun disc to throw! I still throw mine in the bag once in a while on short wooded courses just to have some fun.

False, I did not lean towards, think or infer that I am great. I even stated that Im not calling myself great. Again, do a better job of reading and do not assume false things on other people.

C'mon man, why do you have to keep going here. We can go around in circles, but I have some laundry and vacumming to do.

Believe it or not, maybe you aren't the clearest communicator, and you may or may not be aware, but intention isn't always easy to pick up on line. I trust that your intention is good, but your approach is kinda antagonistic, just saying.

For good athletes in all sports the brain factors dozens of variables instantly, "without thinking". It doesn't go through a "check list"...it just happens.

What kind of grass?
Recently mowed?
How much grass?
Type of soil?
Wind?
Type of plastic?
Landing angle?
Landing topography?
Shade or sun?
Wet or dry grass?
Wet or dry soil?
Roots?
Rocks?

^ I couldn't have said it better myself.

C'mon man, why do you have to keep going here. We can go around in circles, but I have some laundry and vacumming to do.

Believe it or not, maybe you aren't the clearest communicator, and you may or may not be aware, but intention isn't always easy to pick up on line. I trust that your intention is good, but your approach is kinda antagonistic, just saying.

Not saying this to be a dick, but I did not read that he was claiming to be better than you or insulting you in that post.

JMO.

Not saying this to be a dick, but I did not read that he was claiming to be better than you or insulting you in that post.

JMO.

Thank you for your feedback. I really didn't take it personally. I was more busting his chops for trying to comparing himself to the greats, lolol.

Last edited:
Define experienced. I play with some guys who have been in the game 20+ years with decent ratings, and have never heard these variables mentioned, except when the situation called for it. Sun and shade? Sounds like grandmasters golf, lol. I'm not discounting these variables and maybe I just subconsciously take this into account, but by no means is it a checklist.

I know that I always announce what I'm thinking to the group before I throw.

I can't seem to see what Brodie said..... anybody give a quick recap? I can only imagine based on the post in question....

he's user GBtwin21 in the replies

bs: This also wasn't a post about politics. It was more directed towards sports. Saw a lot of people making excuses for why they haven't done something yet.

op: Even with sports, privilege absolutely comes into play. Overcoming adversity is great to advocate for. Telling people without certain inherent advantages that they're "soft" for not succeeding is kinda wack...

bs: This is pretty motivating. Maybe I should have just tweeted this out https://youtu.be/XKDdU5XSMe8

op: Hahahahahaha ok. This video is hilarious. Again yeah that's cool to like.. Encourage people to exercise more but show that **** to a poor kid living on the street who's dream is to play basketball... But he's gotta work after school so he can't join the team, or his parents aren't there and no one else wants to help him. Personal responsibility is super important but not everything boils down to, "TRY HARDER MOTHER****ER OR YOU DON'T DESERVE TO WIN."

My point is other people being more successful in whatever sense you want to consider success can absolutely be excused by knowing that they have more advantages/privileges.

bs: https://www.gamedaynews.com/athlete...re-going-pro/?view-all&andro=1&ios=1&safari=1

My point I was trying to make was to stop making excuses or stop listening to people that tell you, you can't do something.

op: I get the point. I don't think you conveyed it well. Seems like I'm not the only one.

I think for some people it comes off similar to people who look at a homeless person and just assume they didn't work hard enough.

bs: Not really understanding your example. I would guess most homeless people got in that situation from bad choices.

There seems to be some major internet meltdown over;

"The only person who can stop you from reaching your goals is you." (wish a clip video from the Portland Open)