• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Build your own lake rake

Finally built one based off the one in the first post. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/lpS62 It works great. I pulled up 7 discs in under an hour just trying to get the hang of it. I can only throw it out about 20-30' now but once I figure out the best way to toss it I should get it out further.

I put the tines 5-5.5 inches apart and it's 36 inches from end tine to end tine. I bought everything to make it at home depot and it cost a total of $47. But at this rate it will pay for itself in no time.

I like the design, but I see it pulling up a lot of crap up that is not a disc. Does this seem to be an issue?

I used to build a golden retriever out of a coat hanger. Use a fishing pole and reel. I could cast it 200'. used it a lot at Fountain hills and vista. You need to use very good line.

Surprisingly the tines dig down and cut through the grass/mud without plowing(for lack of a better term) it all up. The only issue I have with it so far is being able to throw it out beyond 20-30ft. I pulled out 5 more discs with it today in about 30min.

The lake on the local course here has crap tons of debris/grass on the bottom, and so far hasn't been a problem for it.

I built a rake a few years ago with a modified design based on this thread. It has paid for itself and then some. Probably pulled out a couple hundred with it over the past couple of years.

Spent a couple hours with it at the lake again yesterday and pulled out 13! Should have built one sooner.

If you think it might be worth it to build one for yourself, it's worth every penny to build one.

You need to remove the knot and use a slip knot. Why? the tighter you pull on it the tighter the triangle gets.

A buddy and I built one recently, we used the slip knot and it is a great idea.

We also discovered that it is best not to glue the joints of the cross member that has the tines (if you do glue at all). The reason for this is so that beam can twist instead of breaking if you get caught up on something big.

... The only issue I have with it so far is being able to throw it out beyond 20-30ft...

Tie a kids inner tube to the top with a line on the valve, float it out as far as you want, pull on the line opening the valve and watch 'er sink.

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 51
I refined my throwing technique and can get it out to 40+ft regularly now :) Pulled in around 70 discs so far.
See, it's all technique... prolly time to work on an X-step and a power grip.
Also, are you rotating on your plant heel?
:p

I pretty much throw it like a LHBH throw with my right hand holding/throwing it by the 4-way joint and my left hand pulling the rope as I throw it. The more I think about it, it really is a LHBH two hand throw.

Tie a kids inner tube to the top with a line on the valve, float it out as far as you want, pull on the line opening the valve and watch 'er sink.

Yeah, read through this thread, and I was impressed by the resiliency of the human spirit.

If you think reading this thread is worth your time, then it is.

Will have to try one of these designs... I've got time, so I might try a couple of them!:popcorn:

just built the one on the first page and it is heave on the front end and very flexible. will have to stiffen the handle before I go and use it. Will post some pictures when I get it done.

Latest posts