• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Build your own lake rake

I found the original dimension to be a bit cumbersome to handle & transport. I don't remember how much I shrunk it down, but it was easier to throw out for hours at a time. A lot easier!

made mine today, will post pics but I clearly underestimated texas ponds and the foliage. I spent about 2 hours on my first trip "fishing" and walked away with 3 un-inked discs. Now I am considering revisions and plotting courses to try "fishing" on.

Heres my attempt at a rake! Cost 45, not 30 as I hoped.
ghiAMjV
https://imgur.com/ghiAMjV

I have thought about modifying the square shaped ball catchers for traditional golf to work for disc golf, would not be hard and would have about a $40 total bag.

So I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm wondering if a rake similar to the way a wheel-tractor scraper works. I'm thinking that if I can build one that can allow the sand to fall out, but retain the discs, I can pull it along while in a canoe or kayak, and can scrape most of the pond quickly. I'm trying to figure out the handle, though I know I need at least 8 feet, and it needs to be collapsible, or disassembled easily.

Link to wheel-tractor scraper vid: https://youtu.be/xujvxFgbdEk

Well I tried building a cockamamie one.. Spikes on one side as per the original design from EricJ and a basket setup or net on the other side.. Didn't get anything out of my pond.. Too much thick mud and too heavy to throw far. I tried dropping it on one side of the pond and scraping back to the mouth. All I got was a decomposing turtle that made a stench so horrible that me and the dog had to go for a bath as the disgusting yellow insides oozed out and floated on top of the pond... tried it both sides up.

I think I will revisit EricJ design and change mine to make it lighter. I don't think a scraper is the way to go, but different ponds different design. Those bolts or allthread makes more weight that you might think. The carriage bolts also seem favourable from a safety standpoin as well less sharpness on the end when throwing or dragging in

Last edited:
I built the exact one from the original post by Randy Sharp, I also have a pond that's thick with moss, branches, and rocks. The first time it got mangled by the things I listed previously. It was probably a combination of that and that I didn't quite glue the joints well enough but the design was a little too big even for my SUV. So I cut all the dimensions in half and it was a lot stronger without having the tee joint in the middle of the rake. I've raked the pond twice now for about 45 minutes each time and I've gotten a total of 16 discs so far! My buddy and I found that instead of throwing the rake, we lay the rake in on one side and drag the rake all the way across to the other side, obviously you can only do this if the pond is small enough but thought I'd share our method.

What's everyone's thoughts on returning discs from the pond that have numbers on them? When I find discs on the course I'm always courteous to call/text if it has a number on it but since I've started raking, it seems like I'm doing so much work that I shouldn't have to return it and when I throw my own discs in water I don't expect them back. Granted out of the 16 we've found only 2 have had numbers on them. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just how I personally feel, if enough people tell me I should return the pond discs then maybe I'll start doing that :)

I built the exact one from the original post by Randy Sharp, I also have a pond that's thick with moss, branches, and rocks. The first time it got mangled by the things I listed previously. It was probably a combination of that and that I didn't quite glue the joints well enough but the design was a little too big even for my SUV. So I cut all the dimensions in half and it was a lot stronger without having the tee joint in the middle of the rake. I've raked the pond twice now for about 45 minutes each time and I've gotten a total of 16 discs so far! My buddy and I found that instead of throwing the rake, we lay the rake in on one side and drag the rake all the way across to the other side, obviously you can only do this if the pond is small enough but thought I'd share our method.

What's everyone's thoughts on returning discs from the pond that have numbers on them? When I find discs on the course I'm always courteous to call/text if it has a number on it but since I've started raking, it seems like I'm doing so much work that I shouldn't have to return it and when I throw my own discs in water I don't expect them back. Granted out of the 16 we've found only 2 have had numbers on them. Maybe I'm wrong but that's just how I personally feel, if enough people tell me I should return the pond discs then maybe I'll start doing that :)

ALWAYS make an effort to return a disc with a number.

Anyone that put their number on the disc wants it back, weather they lost it in the pond, snow, leaves, or just forgot to pick it up...
No names are harder, but we post pics to our local FB page. If no one claims them in 30 days, they get donated to kids leagues or the local university.
Thanks for your work, but please return the lost property to the rightful owner...

If you spent the time and money to build the rake and the effort of raking them out they are yours to decide. Obviously you didn't build it to get no personal outcome. If I lose a disc on land the chances are I spent a considerable amount of time looking for it and would appreciate a text. If lost in water I hope whoever gets it enjoys a new disc! If it's a disc I never think I'll use or give to a friend/kid then I'll reach out to return. But with all that effort I'm keeping most the discs and trying to improve my game. If disc has a personal message like "gift from kid" or "ace disc" then yes I would like to get that disc back to owner.

Enjoy your rake and new discs sir.

I know I'm right!

ALWAYS make an effort to return a disc with a number.
I agree with this, COMPLETELY.

That said, if someone's courteous enough to contact you about your disc they found, don't make them jump through hoops.

Generally speaking, the owner of the disc should make returning the disc as simple and easy as possible. The finder's already done you a solid just by contacting you.

I agree with Bogey but... (haha) I have multiple crappy experiences trying to return discs. Given the option I enjoy texting someone that I found their disc and that it's up at the course. People I know, I will call or hold it, I don't mind helping, better yet pass it off on one of the people most likely to see them so it's no longer my problem.

I do not keep other people's discs, bad karma... I have no interest in keeping them (other than the soft black Envy someone left here.. If it's a pdga number he's in Florida).. I posted it on FB when I found it.. It's probably going to sit here like the others... I especially will not pay $15 in postage... which is where my butt hurt is coming from. Shoot me some cash and I'll mail it to you, no probs but don't expect me to foot the bill and chew me out about it. That's one phonecall I wish I'd never made.

If I raked a disc out of a pond with no number... **** it. With a number, I'd text and leave it at the clubhouse.

I gotta try the original Randy design.. But after spending a day or two (7+ man hrs) to try and recover my friends CE Firebird she came over and found it in a pair of gumboots Sunday since the waters receded. I can't even be bothered to drag my rake to the other pond and find my Resistor.

Last edited: