• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

I have been playing minimalist for the last 2-3 years now. I found my best rounds are when I play with 6 discs. When I bump up to just 7 or 8, I tend to add a few strokes to my game.

I change the 6 discs often, just trying slight variations, but the basic concept is always the same:

3 stable workable discs, something like a straight fairway, mid, and putter. Usually I have a slightly US FW, slightly OS mid, and true neutral driving putter. Sometimes I will sub out the OS mid for an OS fairway, or US mid, depending on the course.

1 wind fighter driver. Invaluable here in Texas. Too many times I've tried a bag without one and shot pretty terribly.

1 very understable disc for this get out of trouble situations.

1 putting putter. I have done this setup with a driving putter doing double duty as my putting putter, in order to add one more fairway to my bag, but honestly, I much prefer to have my trusty putting putter to just do its job.

3-6 discs can be done. I however limit myself on molds, 10 is my limit. I know people who carry less and guys who have a disc for every slot (and they have more slots than I know of) anyway, back to the topic at hand.
My bag
Wraith, 3 usually but up to 5 depending all star plastic in varying degrees of wear
Tern 1 star plastic
FD3 1 C line 1 S line
OLF, 3 in varying degrees of wear two Sirius on Millennium standard plastic
TB, 3 in varying degrees of wear
Wasp 1 Z plastic
Prophecy 1 Diamond 2-3 Suregrips varying degrees of wear
RD G Scale 1 fossil
Wizard 4 all PW plastic 2 throwers 1 freshy 1 best in 2 twins for putting only.

A spot stays open and allows me to have a "secret weapon" kind of slot e.g: a CD in windy days or an Archer on tightly wooded courses. If I had to I could go Wraith, FD3, TB, Prophecy and Wizard (if I were a "true minimalist" ) so I think mold minimalism allows a lot more combinations for success. Good luck, this approach changed my game.

DD2, Firebird, Comet and a Ringer
If it's windy, I might substitute a Roc3 for the Comet.

I played a very nice round yesterday with eight discs in the bag:

- D P3 (x3): putting and upshots. The three discs are pretty much the same. I had this many for convenience (putting practice and not having to use a mini)
- ESP Zone: out of trouble and such stuff
- ES TB: main driver
- DX TB (x2): drives without fade
- Ch TB: for more fade (wasn't really necessary)

The only thing I would have changed is the Ch TB for a disc with more OS. My newish Ch EX or Felon ... but there was only one single shot I threw the disc, anyway.

3-6 discs can be done. I however limit myself on molds, 10 is my limit. I know people who carry less and guys who have a disc for every slot (and they have more slots than I know of) anyway, back to the topic at hand.
My bag
Wraith, 3 usually but up to 5 depending all star plastic in varying degrees of wear
Tern 1 star plastic
FD3 1 C line 1 S line
OLF, 3 in varying degrees of wear two Sirius on Millennium standard plastic
TB, 3 in varying degrees of wear
Wasp 1 Z plastic
Prophecy 1 Diamond 2-3 Suregrips varying degrees of wear
RD G Scale 1 fossil
Wizard 4 all PW plastic 2 throwers 1 freshy 1 best in 2 twins for putting only.

A spot stays open and allows me to have a "secret weapon" kind of slot e.g: a CD in windy days or an Archer on tightly wooded courses. If I had to I could go Wraith, FD3, TB, Prophecy and Wizard (if I were a "true minimalist" ) so I think mold minimalism allows a lot more combinations for success. Good luck, this approach changed my game.

This is the opposite :p

You have neither minimized molds or number of discs.

Out of curiosity, what five wraiths do you carry?

This summer I have been playing better / scoring lower just bringing a single putter. I actually beat my personal record on the local course with 2 strokes! I dont really need a full bag.

This summer I have been playing better / scoring lower just bringing a single putter. I actually beat my personal record on the local course with 2 strokes! I dont really need a full bag.

You played with only one disc and improved your personal best? Great experience!

I found out that I drive more successfully if I use the same driver on almost all drives instead of using seemingly slightly better suited different drivers depending on the slight differences of the holes. This holds true, even if this main driver is a disc I have (had) few experience with. It's all about getting to know the disc really well!

So, give me this Cheetah (I've never once thrown a Cheetah) plus one of my P3s and I'll score about as good, already on the first 18 holes.

You played with only one disc and improved your personal best? Great experience!

I found out that I drive more successfully if I use the same driver on almost all drives instead of using seemingly slightly better suited different drivers depending on the slight differences of the holes. This holds true, even if this main driver is a disc I have (had) few experience with. It's all about getting to know the disc really well!

So, give me this Cheetah (I've never once thrown a Cheetah) plus one of my P3s and I'll score about as good, already on the first 18 holes.

This is very similar to my experience too. I carry 6 discs, but only really drive with one of them, and use the others as situational approach discs, other than the occasional short hole putter drive.

Usually that disc for me is a Crave, but I played a 9 hole course yesterday and all of my drives were with my Wrath except the two shortest holes, but I still used all of my other discs for various approaches and shot a decent - 2. Left a lot out there too as I haven't played in several weeks and my putting was a bit rusty.

This is the opposite :p

You have neither minimized molds or number of discs.

Out of curiosity, what five wraiths do you carry?

Stable to flippy. Mostly just 3 though the same. I guess it depends on how you look at it. I have a different view U suppose and I don't consider myself a minimalist by any means but 9 molds doesn't seem like a lot to me also having 3 + of each all flying different my shots are covered. True minimalist nope. But I am not the guy bagging 27 molds either.

I played Carroll Marty for the better part of 2 years with a stiffer Warlock or Classic Aviar, seasoned DX Roc and Champ Leopard. The next additions to the bag, in order, would be:
Champ Firebird
Star Shryke
swap the Champ Leo for a Star one and add a Star Teebird

In essence it's a neutral and workable putter, mid and fairway. Then distance driver and stable to OS fairway.

Stable to flippy. Mostly just 3 though the same. I guess it depends on how you look at it. I have a different view U suppose and I don't consider myself a minimalist by any means but 9 molds doesn't seem like a lot to me also having 3 + of each all flying different my shots are covered. True minimalist nope. But I am not the guy bagging 27 molds either.

My goodness. Does someone actually bag 27 molds?

9 molds is on the high side imo. Nothing wrong with it but this is the minimalist thread...

Minimizing you bag is really as simple as picking discs that are easy to manipulate and serve multiple purposes. For me that's a tee bird , buzz and a banger but those discs are different depending on skill level.

Have you ever seen a Trilogy player's ITB video? :|

Same could be said for Jay Redding He has 14-15 different discs in his bag. They left out the DX Bulldog he uses on the Innova site. A few others like Jermy Kolling and Nate Sexton use nearly 20 discs just they dis not show the Discmania discs or the Hyzerbomb disc that those two use on the Innova site, but their in the bag video's have them in it.

My goodness. Does someone actually bag 27 molds?

9 molds is on the high side imo. Nothing wrong with it but this is the minimalist thread...

Ok. Is there a technical definition of what minimalism means to disc golf? Or is it just up to each individual to interpret? I view my bag as a very useful bag and necessary. I could play with five molds but I enjoy having speed 9s and OS putters/mids. I view my bag as pretty basic all of my molds I carry multiples of to handle different duties. I believe that you're going to come up short with 3 molds. Nothing wrong with that approach but say a TB is your driver , it just doesn't have the same potential as an OLF or thundy. IDK.

Ok. Is there a technical definition of what minimalism means to disc golf? Or is it just up to each individual to interpret? I view my bag as a very useful bag and necessary. I could play with five molds but I enjoy having speed 9s and OS putters/mids. I view my bag as pretty basic all of my molds I carry multiples of to handle different duties. I believe that you're going to come up short with 3 molds. Nothing wrong with that approach but say a TB is your driver , it just doesn't have the same potential as an OLF or thundy. IDK.
Minimalist to me means 4-7 discs. Which really applys to most people the 10 other discs most people carry are situational discs.