• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building the minimalist bag

SSS Wiz
Star Coyote
Champ Firebird
DX Teebird
Neutron Amp
134g Blizz Destroyer

There's a 18-hole course (rather open but with height differences) I've played three times now.

First time:
- Bag with 2 discs: D P3, DX Eagle
- Both discs in constant use, of course
- Score: +7

Second time:
- Bag with 5 discs (+ 3 backups): D P3, ESP Zone, DX TB, ES TB, Ch TB
- Two identical backup putters only for convenience
- Ch TB only for one shot, which was a bad one
- Score: E

Third time:
- Bag with 8 discs (+ 3 backups): D P3, ESP Zone, DX EG, Star EG, Ch EG, Lucid Felon, Star Valk, DX Leo
- Two identical backup putters only for convenience
- Ch EG, Felon, Valk and Leo only used for one shot each
- Score: +10

Although I played the course blind, when I went there the first time and had a driver, which I had thrown only little before, I scored quite well.

There's exactly one hole where a disc like the DX Leo provided slightly better results. It changes just one stroke, if at all, if I carry it.

Best result would come from playing with 4 discs (D P3, ESP Zone, DX TB, ES TB) ... plus an identical backup putters for convenience.

Dropping the Zone, hence playing with only three discs (D P3, DX TB, ES TB), would cost me not more than one stroke.

On another 18-hole course, with more different hole shapes, the situation changes only in the way that having a Felon might gain one stroke.

This as an answer to the original question.

I just lowered my best score by 2 on my local wooded 9 hole. I was using a 4 disc bag, so now I'm kind of a believer...

I consider what I do as not so much a minimalist bag as a course specific bag. I know the 10+ courses we regularly play; know how the lines are shaped, how the winds usually are, etc. on those courses and will take about 5 or 6 discs for the course (including 1 or 2 back-ups in case of the DREADED lost disc scenario). I gave up carrying 15 to 20 discs in my bag when I'll actually use just 4 or 5 them. Helps to keep the weight down and from getting carried away with trying too many different type discs.

Didn't you hear? It was just established that 6 discs or less is a minimalist bag. Your 8 disc bag is no longer minimalist so please stop referring to it as such. You can use the terms quasi-minimalist or post-minimalist to refer to your gargantuan 8 disc nutsac.

That's just like, your opinion.. man. Keep your opinions to yourself about my buldging nutsack :D

I think I would be fine with Crave/Leopard, Mako, and Pure. I don't throw for power (yet) but I think if you had to pick 3 it's all about choosing a fairway you like, a mid you like, and a putter you like. IMO a minimalist bag doesn't need a DD at all (??), unless (a) you are capable of bombing 400+ and (b) you are playing a course which requires bombing 400+. Drives are for show! Putts are for dough!

This works for me:

Wraith or Trespass
Roc
Wizard

If I want to carry a couple more, I would add a Leopard or Sting as a straight to flippy fairway, and probably one more Roc - so I could have one that is slightly overstable and one that is neutral to understable. With those 5 discs, I doubt I would be giving up any strokes compared to my full bag for most rounds.

I still stick with the following for a minimalist bag:

Star Firebird
Star Teebird
Pro Leopard
KC Roc
DX Roc
DX Aviar PnA x2

A local gave me a prototype six disc satchel (bit like a Nutsac with no drink holder, but pockets), and I've been field testing.

Star Wraith (160gm, beaten)
Fireball
Crave
Tangent (2015 Plasma, but new to me)
Berg K3
Spin

... and I've shot -5 (18), -4 (9) and -5 (9) the three rounds I've used it.

Took my Shift with my normal 16 discs out in between these rounds and had a +3 (18).

Disc golf is stupid. Stupid game.

Now that it's cold out I've been contemplating just carrying around an SSS Wizard, Z Flx Zone, Lucid Emac, and G* Thunderbird

The best round I've ever played was with only two discs, a Star Leopard3 and an Opto Pure. I've considered playing a tournament with only 2-4 discs before, because I feel I sometimes overthink the disc selection so much that it hurts my play.

I don't know, I had more fun with a giant HDX 82E mold Frisbee than the normal bag I put together with

Eraser Wizard
Classic Aviar
Hornet (probably ESP, just says HORNET and nothing else)
Z Comet
normal Neutron Paradox
First Run Passion
ESP Thrasher
137g Blizzard Boss

Disc golf is stupid. Stupid game.

I may switch to FRISBEE golf :p

This is how I would approach it, along with my discs:

1 putting only putter: something you feel confident in for a tournament or putting contest (Classic Aviar)

1 throwing putter: what you would use for a 1-disc putter-only round (S or P P2)

1 workhorse mid: what you would use for a 1-disc mid-only round (DX Roc)

1 placement/line shaping driver: (C FD)

1 Thunderbird-like driver: control like a fairway, distance like a distance driver, can be used in various roles (Champ Thunderbird)

1 other disc: could be all-out distance, wind-fighter, utility disc, maybe something you might throw once or twice a round but be glad you have it (for me, probably Champ Firebird, but maybe a beefy Roc or a Star Shryke)

When I am traveling, I bring at least these 3 discs:

Classic Aviar
DX Roc
Champ Thunderbird

Three years later I still have the Classic Aviar, DX Roc, and Champ Thunderbird in my car, but lately I have been throwing a Champ Teebird more than the Thunderbird. If I were to add discs, they would be more of the slow ones. First two additional discs would be a throwing putter like a P2 or even simply a fresh Aviar, then another Roc with a complementary stability to the first one.

The best round I've ever played was with only two discs, a Star Leopard3 and an Opto Pure. I've considered playing a tournament with only 2-4 discs before, because I feel I sometimes overthink the disc selection so much that it hurts my play.

i feel like it would create a really polarized response

either they would think your a chump or youre really good and they should watch out

the intimidation factor of just needing 2-4 would be great

Latest posts