• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CA to NC - Which way to go?

DSCJNKY

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
OK... So I am moving from CA to NC in June. What I need from yall is help finding the absolute best courses to play along the way. I think I am going to take I-40. Because I need to make the drive in less than 1 week, I am down to play two top courses a day (and visit micro-breweries too!).

Any info you can provide would be awesome. Guides and places to crash would be greatly appreciated too!
Thanks,
DSCJNKY

Ha, I am thinking about making this move too. Still just thinking about it, I need to figure out the job thing first. My thoughts at this point were going to be either going north and hitting Michigan and then coming down through Ohio and PA. Or you can go south and hit up Texas. 40 misses both really, even though 40 does go through Texas.

I would reccomend hitting up Brent Baca in Albuquerque, NM to start. Hope it isn't windy.

Other than that didn't they just play an NT event in Oklahoma?

That is all I got for you.

Where are you going to be living in NC? If you are in the Winston Salem or Greensboro area, I'd love to show you around the local courses when you get here.

I-40 will take you through Nashville, where there are a number of good courses. I recommend Cedar Hill. Knoxville's Victor Ashe is a pretty good stop as well.

Your first stop in NC is Asheville. Richmond Hill is getting great reviews, though I haven't played it.

You didn't mention what alternative routes you're considering (i.e.; I-70, which is a bit more scenic, or I-10/I-20.

I-80 does not run through Kentucky. However, if you DO wind up coming through Michigan and Ohio, I'd be more than happy to be your guide on any of the Toledo, OH or Ann Arbor, MI area courses. Hudson Mills would be cool to hit again.

OK... So I am moving from CA to NC in June. What I need from yall is help finding the absolute best courses to play along the way. I think I am going to take I-40. Because I need to make the drive in less than 1 week, I am down to play two top courses a day (and visit micro-breweries too!).

Any info you can provide would be awesome. Guides and places to crash would be greatly appreciated too!
Thanks,
DSCJNKY
you're already using "y'all". oh no.

I'd go east, not west. Its shorter and has less water hazards.
What might help/dictate where you play, is how far you can go in a day and where you want/feel safe to stop. I dont know much bout those widwest courses, but Im jealous you'll be playing the NC courses, which are great.

you're already using "y'all". oh no.

Wow. How original.Its nice to know that there are people left who think southerners are all backwards hillbillies. It must be a shock to you to find out that most of us wear shoes and have all of our teeth.

If you take 40...definitely hit Bud Hill, in the Memphis area. Private course, so call ahead but it is open 98% of the time. When in Nashville, play Cedar Hill. That's about the best Tennessee has to offer on the I-40 route. If you play Cedar Hill and finish by dark, you can easily make it very close to Asheville before you stop for the night. Definitely play Richmond Hill as you go into NC. It is a really amazing course.

70 is also a good route, but lets face it...Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to drive across Kansas!

Where are you going to be living in NC? If you are in the Winston Salem or Greensboro area, I'd love to show you around the local courses when you get here.

I will be moving to Asheville. I will definately hit you up when I get there for some weekend trips around NC. I plan on playing as many east coast courses as I can while out there. Thanks,
DSCJNKY

Wow. How original.Its nice to know that there are people left who think southerners are all backwards hillbillies. It must be a shock to you to find out that most of us wear shoes and have all of our teeth.
Easy, tiger. Most of my family is from Estill, South Carolina. You really read into things there.

If you end up taking I-70 instead of I-40, i would recommend playing beaver ranch/Conifer on your way through Colorado. That course is hands down the best I have played

If you end up taking I-70 instead of I-40, i would recommend playing beaver ranch/Conifer on your way through Colorado. That course is hands down the best I have played

Sounds like I-70 might be better than I-40. I would like to hit some of the Colorado mountain courses, but don't know how far out of the way it would be for me to get up there from So-Cal. I will go to AAA to get some maps and try to find the most interesting route. But, all this help is great for me to guide my decision. Thanks a lot.
DSCJNKY

70 is also a good route, but lets face it...Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to drive across Kansas!
Why not? There's a lot of good courses to play along that route.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2811

I'll admit the drive in between them blows, but the doldrums start just east of Denver. :|

If you're coming out of So Cal, I-40 will be quicker, but from about Flagstaff, AZ until you hit Memphis, good courses are few and far between. I do hear good things about Thompson Park in Amarillo. Dolese Park in OKC isn't bad either.

If you have the time, I'd take I-15 to Utah, I-70 across CO, KS & MO to St. Louis, I-64 to Evansville, IN, get across the Ohio River to Owensboro, KY and take the Natcher Pkwy (Toll Road) to Bowling Green. Take I-65 to Nashville, and I-40 the rest of the way.

I've taken I-40 from Arizona to South Calina; I-70 from Utah. I-70 is a bit more scenic, and cooler in June going through the Rockies. It also involves going through St. Louis, probably the biggest driving hassle on either route.

If you take I-70, east of St. Louis you should be heading south to Nashville and picking up I-40 there.....so you can still play Cedar Hill (or elsewhere) in Nashville on either route. I-70 takes in Kansas City, whose courses I haven't played but are well-regarded.

Since you're heading to Asheville you needn't worry about Victor Ashe or Richmond Hill---you can visit them after you've settled in.