• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can a pitch and putt course be top 10?

upfromtheashes

Bronze level trusted reviewer
It's probably obvious that Magic Meadows is the inspiration for my question here, and I don't intend for this to be a "badmouth MM" thread, but rather "what constitutes the best of the best?"

Is it possible for a course with an average hole length of 228' to be one of the top 10 in the country? If not, where is that line?

Is it possible for a course with "natural" tees to be top 10? Or single chain baskets?

DGCRs own review guidelines say "Remember, a "5" is considered the ultimate. There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way."

One thing I've learned through playing and reviewing courses is that there are "controllable" factors that contribute to my ratings for a course, and there are "uncontrollable" factors that also contribute to my rating. In other words, if a course has poor teepads, or poor signs, or even poor design...all "controllable" factors, then my rating will reflect that. However, even if a course is perfect in all of the "controllable" factors, that doesn't mean that it's going to get a 5 from me...because there could very possibly be "uncontrollable" factors that limit the ceiling for a given course. Typically, these would involve the topography and/or space available.

If a course is built on land that is boring, flat, and featureless....or is shoehorned into such a small plot of land that even the best design only manages to produce an average hole length of 220', then that course isn't going to get a 5 from me, even if all of the "controllable" factors are perfect.

Am I in the minority here? Are the twelve people who have ignored both controllable and uncontrollable factors and still given MM a 5-disc rating the norm?

Note: before someone mentions it, I understand that the problem is self-correcting in that once more trusted reviewers get out to play the course it will get a more accurate rating, but is that the only solution? The way I see it, there is at least one legitimate top 10 course out there that is not getting the exposure it deserves because it's spot in the top 10 is being occupied by an imposter.

Anything is possible when the ratings are based off the opinions of others.

Is it likely? Hardly.

IMO, it is a DGCR reviewer's responsibility to deny a "5" to courses that have single chain baskets, or has an average length under 230...etc.

Magic meadows should not be in the top ten IMO. When the owner of a course suggests you go on to a website and rate his course after playing it automatically messes up the ratings. Most of the reviewers have only reviewed one course. Maybe now that is in the top 10 more trusted reviewers will fix the skewed ratings. If a course doesn't have concrete pads it should not be in the top.

I knew reviewers were inflating the ratings of courses in Colorado but I didn't realize it was this bad.

A 9 hole course? sure that's possible but not a true pitch and putt no way no how. top 10 is not for any "pitch and putt" courses.

I recall Whistler's Bend (amazing course) getting knocked out of the top ten for not having its incredible tee signs on all holes. From the pictures it looks like Magic Meadows signs are pretty lame, and most tee boxes appear to have trip hazards. Definitely not a top 10 course.

Tee signs, tee pads, bag hangers, course kiosks, etc. should have very little or no impact on course ratings IMO. For me a course with only par three holes will probably never get a five especially one with all short par threes. Top ten? No way!

Its a really fun course and has some challenging holes. However I can't imagine that it could possibly be top 10. I will say that the Beaver Ranch course in Conifer is absolutely amazing and deserves its spot in the ratings though

I know Beaver Ranch used to be up in the top 10 and i think it should definitely be up there ahead of Phantom Falls. I hate to admit it, but it does seem some of our courses get weighted ratings
*I was going to put that in the last post, but my computer had a freakout and decided to post before i was done :wall:

Never have understood why when this issue arises, how people conveniently forget that the other courses on the top ten list got there the exact same way the so called "intruder" course did.

FYI: ZERO trusted reviewers have reviewed the course.

It's probably obvious that Magic Meadows is the inspiration for my question here, and I don't intend for this to be a "badmouth MM" thread, but rather "what constitutes the best of the best?"

obvious? i thought this thread was gonna be about Flip City! :p

Never have understood why when this issue arises, how people conveniently forget that the other courses on the top ten list got there the exact same way the so called "intruder" course did.

kind of a moot point, isn't it?

^^^this
but that will change soon enough

i can see giving a course a 5 even if it doesn't have all the amenities, IF the golf is totally amazing. natural tees are fine so long as they are flat and do not have hazards. signs.... i can figure it out.

but all par 3 holes? especially when most holes are under 250? that's just not a complete disc golf challenge.

I'll be playing it in about 6 weeks and will review it.

I agree with whoever said Conifer is a top 10 course ahead of Phantom Falls. I gave both the same score, but Conifer is a bit ahead. Excellent design, and lots of opportunities for scoring separation.

I'm excited to play Magic Meadows, Bucksnort, and Bailey for the first time. Regardless of whether these are 4s or 4.5s or 5s, this area is quickly becoming a must-visit destination.

Is it possible for a course with an average hole length of 228' to be one of the top 10 in the country? If not, where is that line?

Is it possible for a course with "natural" tees to be top 10? Or single chain baskets?

The hurdle for these courses, especially the short course, is in what's missing. Little or no chance for most players to throw hard or use their drivers---taking away one aspect of their game. No multi-par, multi-throw holes, forcing them to be creative on upshots that are different every time.

The question is, what possible features can the pitch-and-putt have that are wonderful enough to make up for these omissions? Bearing in mind that the Top 10 courses may well have these extra features, along with the longer holes.

Natural Tees, if well-done and well-maintained, and single-chain baskets, may be overcome by outstanding design and setting, because they are relatively small deductions to the overall rating. A course of very short holes needs much more to offset that deficiency.

I don't think course should have its ceiling lowered only because its on a small piece of land. That should be considered an uncontrollable.
I know there may be some NASCAR fans out there. Would the same logic be applied to the Bristol Motor Speedway? Would it not be considered top notch because it is only a half mile track?
A course of any size could get a 5 star rating.
Radcliff could easily be a 5 star course. There are a couple factors that keep it from it. Mostly due to the close proximity of non disc golfer using the park.

My point is not to criticize the course because it does not have any air it out type holes. I am not questioning the OP about his concern of the Magic Meadows rating. His points are valid in that it appears to have a local bias.

Let us all remember that Flip City is basically a pitch and putt as well.