• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can a pitch and putt course be top 10?

I am playing phantom falls and magic meadows on Thursday. I will post a review after I fly home. I'm a little sceptcal as well but we will see. I also will be playing beaver ranch on Friday.

Based on all the courses I have played I think maple hill is the best but thats not even in the top 10 currently. Alot of it Is based on the private course owners pressuring people to make reviews and post them which is unfortunate

I stopped reviewing courses, or even caring about the reviews. the whole system is skewed. with only a 20 review minimum to be considered a top 10 course, it's pretty easy to fudge the system to get people onto your private course.

Think of it this way: you play Maple Hill with a group of people who had NEVER seen disc golf before. They see manicured fairways, multiple layouts, beautiful full color signs and flags, water holes, a pro shop, Gold level championship and everything else etc etc. Afterwards you say, "this is the 11th ranked course in the world."

Then you take them to one of these Colorado pitch and putts. "um.. here's the 8th best course in the world?"

C'mon.

Or it could be that you're a homer from WI. You've played two, count 'em, II [2] courses outside of your home state. :doh: Really, just shut up. :mad:

You know, the pictures look nice, but then, I haven't played the course. I wouldn't think a PnP or 9er could rate much more than a 3.5, but I'd sure like to know what a TR thinks.

Little harsh on the homer attack. I've played more than 630 courses and have one of the highest numbers of courses played out of the top 100 of anyone on this site (and have played more than 200 courses in Wisco alone) and I can tell you that the High Bridge courses and Rollin' Ridge belong up there with the best of them.

My two cents to this conversation in general, is that shorter courses actually get higher ratings, in general, because they appeal to the broadest range of players. It's also why multiple tees are a real plus, because a larger group of skill sets can enjoy a course.

^^^Never said that High Bridge and Rollin' Ridge didn't belong up there---I said that he didn't have enough experience to judge the merits of MM, having played 20 courses in WI and 2 somewhere else.

From the pictures, MM appears to have quite a number of gorgeous/epic visually; holes...with really fun/picturesque greens on a number of them.

I stopped reviewing courses, or even caring about the reviews. the whole system is skewed. with only a 20 review minimum to be considered a top 10 course, it's pretty easy to fudge the system to get people onto your private course.

Think of it this way: you play Maple Hill with a group of people who had NEVER seen disc golf before. They see manicured fairways, multiple layouts, beautiful full color signs and flags, water holes, a pro shop, Gold level championship and everything else etc etc. Afterwards you say, "this is the 11th ranked course in the world."

Then you take them to one of these Colorado pitch and putts. "um.. here's the 8th best course in the world?"

C'mon.

For real. This system is broken. No concrete tees, gimmicky pin locations, 228 foot averages.......should never be in the top 10.

This is the top 25 list reordered by TR reviews only. In () are number of TRs and the other 0-5 rating is total rating. Others of interest listed on bottom.
1. Selah Lakeside- 5.00 (3) 4.98
Flip- 4.89 (38) 4.85
Highbridge Blueberry- 4.86 (14) 4.71
Idlewild- 4.85 (50) 4.76
5. Highbridge Gold- 4.85 (10) 4.72
Maple Hill- 4.85 (17) 4.69
Highbridge Granite- 4.75 (12) 4.70
Beaver Ranch- 4.74 (19) 4.64
Selah Creekside- 4.70 (5) 4.90
10. BRP- 4.67 (18) 4.77
Deer Lakes- 4.67 (21) 4.68
Tyler- 4.66 (19)- 4.69
Phantom- 4.64 (11) 4.72
Horning's Meadow- 4.63 (12) 4.66
15. Sky High- 4.59 (11) 4.52
Moraine- 4.57 (22) 4.61
Shawshank- 4.55 (10) 4.60
Holler- 4.53 (18) 4.63
Milo McIver- 4.53 (20) 4.56
20. Brakewell/Warwick- 4.46 (12) 4.54
Ashe County- 4.46 (12) 4.54
Water Works- 4.43 (20) 4.53
Winter Park- 4.40 (15) 4.59
Whistler's Bend- 4.36 (18) 4.53
25. Foundation- 4.33 (15) 4.51

Rollin Ridge- 4.63 (8) 4.64
Flyboy- 4.94 (17) 4.90
Magic Meadows- No TRs

I'm a diamond level reviewer and I don't trust the reviws or ratings on here....hell I don't even agree with alot of my own opinions and ratings

More of interest
Justin Trails Big- 4.60 (5) 4.74
BOP- 4.63 (4) 4.71
Hawk Hollow- 4.64 (11) 4.68
Harmon Hills- 4.67 (3) 4.68
Black Falls- 4.13 (4) 4.63
Base Camp Adv Lodge- 4 (1) 4.61
Mont du Lac White Cedar- No TRs
Branson Treehouz- 4 (2) 4.53
Old Post- No TRs
Bailey- 4.33 (3) 4.50
Whippin Post- 4.54 (13) 4.50

The top 10 is like top 40 radio....appeals to everyone but doesn't really push the boundaries or really appeal to anyone in a passionate way. It basically is a list of courses that have gone out of their way to not offend anyone. It also has a bunch of courses that everyone feels they are supposed to like so they like them...also like pop culture. I could take the analogy further on and on but I won't.
I traveled a bit when I was unemployed and made a point to play some of the courses I had heard so much about on this site......I realized I have multitudes of better courses within 30 minutes of my bed and theres no need to go chasing internet fairytales

The top 10 is like top 40 radio....appeals to everyone but doesn't really push the boundaries or really appeal to anyone in a passionate way.

I don't know about that last part. Just mention that you noticed a few blades of grass out of place at Flip City, and watch the passionate disciples emerge.

I don't know about that last part. Just mention that you noticed a few blades of grass out of place at Flip City, and watch the passionate disciples emerge.

Same with Flyboy, with all due respect to Kelly. It's the intangibles that make those courses what they are. And why I'd give my left nut to play either of them.

Or it could be that you're a homer from WI. You've played two, count 'em, II [2] courses outside of your home state. :doh: Really, just shut up. :mad:

You know, the pictures look nice, but then, I haven't played the course. I wouldn't think a PnP or 9er could rate much more than a 3.5, but I'd sure like to know what a TR thinks.

So I can't offer an opinion, based on the courses I've played? Granted, I haven't played a ton of courses, or traveled the country, but I HAVE played some pretty darn good ones. I've played long monsters, and short, tight courses, and a lot in between.

I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers, but maybe you're being a little overbearing about it. Seems to me WI is home to some pretty great courses, which could easily be used as reference against other courses around the country.

Just look at the reviews and see that most say they love the course because they birdie or par every hole. Top 10 I doubt. :wall: More homer love and and a owner who wants to make money!! Nothing wrong with that but hopefully some TR's will review the course and bring it into perspective.

So I can't offer an opinion, based on the courses I've played? Granted, I haven't played a ton of courses, or traveled the country, but I HAVE played some pretty darn good ones. I've played long monsters, and short, tight courses, and a lot in between.

I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers, but maybe you're being a little overbearing about it. Seems to me WI is home to some pretty great courses, which could easily be used as reference against other courses around the country.

Look, let's go back to your original post. I'd agree that a PnP wouldn't seem to be able to qualify as a top-10. Lord knows I don't go back to the few handfuls I've played in several states, because there's very little esthetic value in them. Good for families though.
But I wouldn't use an obviously great course like Highbridge Gold as a comparison to MM, because they bear no resemblance to each other[though, as I said, MM looks really pretty]. And at no time did I denigrate WI/MI courses---if fact, I'm kinda jealous that those states can pack so many quality courses so close together in several locations, whereas the Pacific NW has only a few areas that pack the good ones in.
And if I seem overbearing, I apologize. Its been a tough week wildfire fighting.
You write well enough---I gave you a thumb for your local links[H.A.Meyer?] review.

just another example of colorado course score inflation. don't know if it's the thin air, legal weed, or a combination of both.

Sure the holes are short but show me a hole where you don't have to hit a somewhat tight line or deal with a huge elevation change. I'm sure this course isn't nearly as easy as most of you are making it seem.

Look, let's go back to your original post. I'd agree that a PnP wouldn't seem to be able to qualify as a top-10. Lord knows I don't go back to the few handfuls I've played in several states, because there's very little esthetic value in them. Good for families though.
But I wouldn't use an obviously great course like Highbridge Gold as a comparison to MM, because they bear no resemblance to each other[though, as I said, MM looks really pretty]. And at no time did I denigrate WI/MI courses---if fact, I'm kinda jealous that those states can pack so many quality courses so close together in several locations, whereas the Pacific NW has only a few areas that pack the good ones in.
And if I seem overbearing, I apologize. Its been a tough week wildfire fighting.
You write well enough---I gave you a thumb for your local links[H.A.Meyer?] review.

No worries, man. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all (even though I can be somewhat opinionated), and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

My original post was probably too general, and if I were to compare any of the HBH courses, it would be Woodland Greens (distance-wise), which has a significantly lower rating.

My guess is as this site gains popularity, courses will really start to push for people to rate their local courses highly (I've already seen it at a couple courses), which will further skew the rankings.

My guess is after all this, we're on the almost exact same wavelength.

Latest posts