• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Catalyst

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
Weight- 175.1g

Diameter- 21.1cm

Height- 1.9cm

Rim depth- 1.2cm

Inside rim- 16.3cm

Rim thickness- 2.4ish cm

not to confused with the horrible joke of a disc golf bag.

yeah...that's a pretty loaded name in the Disc Golf world. Good thing the ADGT likely put they-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named out of business.

probably be a fake lawsuit anyway.

Can't wait to see how understable this one is. My 174 Octane has no turn for me, I'm expecting a 175 of this would have -2ish turn. Hoping for -3 turn but that would be drastically less stable than the Octane.

Catalyze Your Creativity

The Catalyst disc from MVP Disc Sports was PDGA Approved on 6-6-2016.

"The Catalyst is a new distance driver from MVP Disc Sports, rounding out the understable end of the new 23mm class. The Catalyst is a perfect starter for big distance. Its stability profile lends itself to being incredibly useful even when underpowered. Catalyst is significantly less understable than its 21.5mm counterpart, the Orbital. High power throwers will be able to control rollers, sky anhyzers, and tight turns, while average to low power players will get easy distance with great glide, and a power responsive amount of turn-to-straight. The Catalyst will debut in Neutron plastic in July 2016." - by MVP Disc Sports

catalyst-pdga-announcement.jpg

Catalyst is significantly less understable than its 21.5mm counterpart, the Orbital.

Is that even possible?...

:doh:Less not more... So this is the Tern/Katana?...

Last edited:
Less understable means more stable. So, it's an Octane?

yeah...that's a pretty loaded name in the Disc Golf world. Good thing the ADGT likely put they-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named out of business.

probably be a fake lawsuit anyway.

Considering they pilfered the name Challenger for one of their bags when they were Physical Flight, I'd say they don't have much to stand on.

A tester posted a quick impression of the flight on the fan page. It sounds like what I thought the Octane was supposed to be; similar to a wave. Hearing about the Nitro and Octane makes me feel like they kind of "shifted" this 23mm class over to the overstable side more, but maybe that's just because most of us are noodle arms? But the tester threw 450' and still called it a wave, so I feel like there is still room for a more understable disc in this class. Maybe when Axiom's 23mm come out they'll have more understable ones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I surprised a tester hasn't put up some video of this thing yet. They're coming out next Friday. I need some video reviews!

I surprised a tester hasn't put up some video of this thing yet. They're coming out next Friday. I need some video reviews!

Seriously. There was one tester that did some video of his round with one, but the round had several discs and you couldn't tell when he was throwing the Catalyst unfortunately.

I thought part of the point of testers was so they could put out videos of the releases to help people get amped up about them.

Got my shipping notice Tues; should be here today. Figure some testers may have got theirs yesterday at the earliest, so give it a few days for videos.

Let's not forget, making these videos can be very time consuming. Three hours of testing and playing a round equates to about two or more hours of editing and making the video worth watching. Mix in jobs, school, and life, and it is a challenge. I have about three videos still on my camera from this winter/spring I need to upload and edit, but I need new editing software.

I applaud all the testers who give their time to share their passion and experience with equipment and courses. Keep chucking and recording.

Catalyst on the left, Octane on the right. The Catalyst looks very Orbital-like in the wing, but without the "dome." Gonna go throw to test it out. :)

After several drives at the course with the Catalyst, the jury is still out. I can muscle it out past 300, but it fights to get there. At that distance, it is straight with a light fade. Where it shines vs the Octane is holding an anny line. It's less squirrely than an Orbital, so I could see putting in the full bag for those types of shots where I wouldn't want to turn and burn. I imagined a more understable disc, but the Catalyst is not flippy at all.