• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Coast Disc Golf - CCDG vids

A point, the discussion of changing behavior and our voices, is important. While it is easy enough to say, "my voice is small," well, Nova P proved that very wrong. It took her ten minutes to write a succinct response here showing what exactly was wrong with the video, it took her five minutes to contact Ian to address the situation, and it took Ian, what Ian, ten minutes to get it fixed?

One voice went pretty far. Frankly, I'm embarrassed that I didn't drop a note to Ian. It did occur to me but I figured he knew and was probably doing something. Dumb of me. It's the old assume thing.

Soap Box, sorry. The internet has coarsened our public behavior and is worse than alcohol in lessening our inhibitions. If each of us takes a small action, then as a whole we can make it a better place. Nova did something the rest of us should have. She did so because it was a direct attack on women. That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am.

I've had some of my written material plagiarized on Amazon.com. The Amazon people were quick and good to address the problem. Glad to see YT is also quick to handle the plagiarism this "parody" was.

As to "fair use" law, the only parody example I am really aware of is Wierd Al Yankovich using people's songs for parodies. Most of the original artists gave their permissions, which was asked sir, but one didn't (Prince), and Wierd Al respected that and didn't use his parody song. So permission CAN be an issue, and potentially harmful "parody" won't cut it with the "fair use" argument.

That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am.

Why would you limit what you stand up for just because of race or gender? To me that sounds like overcompensating for something deeper within. "like I am" please... :rolleyes:

And here I was thinking all this race talk sh*t was left back on facebook or some other SJW site. Silly me! What's next? Political debates?

Soap Box, sorry. The internet has coarsened our public behavior and is worse than alcohol in lessening our inhibitions. If each of us takes a small action, then as a whole we can make it a better place. Nova did something the rest of us should have. She did so because it was a direct attack on women. That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am.
Why would you limit what you stand up for just because of race or gender? To me that sounds like overcompensating for something deeper within. "like I am" please... :rolleyes:
I don't think he's saying that at all. I could be reading extra into it, but I don't feel like I am here - He seems to be referring to the fact that we all, without exception, inherently express bias toward those that are more physically 'like' our selves. He's stating in his post that he's embarrassed that he may have succumbed to that sort of unconscious bias, because generally he works hard to do as you espouse - stand up for everyone regardless of race and gender.

And here I was thinking all this race talk sh*t was left back on facebook or some other SJW site. Silly me! What's next? Political debates?
The real world bleeds into disc golf at times, and we're people - so when the topics blend, we get into them. If its excessive - mods can deal with moving posts to another appropriate subforum. Given enough time - every thread is going to drift away from the focal point. A better strategy for re-engaging, better than whining at least, is to make a post in the thread that is focused on driving a disc golf oriented conversation.

Let me know what or who you think I should stand up for and I'll consider it. However, I'd think it would be obvious that by disposition I'd stand up for myself, and via that, other's like me. It's easy to stand up for those like you, a lot harder to stand up for those who are different.

As a community member, I typically try and stand up for everyone in our community. Even when I take exception to something someone has done, take Ricky's foot faults, I try also to recognize their strengths. It is only those who come here and continually pile on others and other's ideas that I really don't care for. And there are some here like that. Given that the membership in the sport is - pull number out of backside - something like 80% white male, I'm thinking they can take care of themselves. If they really need me to support them, emotionally, ecumenically, with a pint - in the right situation, then good enough. I refuse to be a father figure though.

In general, I do notice that white guys can dish it out plenty but taking it back elicits a good deal of poor me verbiage. Bah, it's the golden rule, give out what you want back, treat others like you want to be treated.

Let me know what or who you think I should stand up for and I'll consider it. However, I'd think it would be obvious that by disposition I'd stand up for myself, and via that, other's like me. It's easy to stand up for those like you, a lot harder to stand up for those who are different.

man...I disagree on so many levels. "It's easy to stand up for those like you." What does that even mean? I could care less what color, race, financial level, etc, someone is, when it comes to standing up for something or some issue. I can stand up for the black community in Chicago (where I was raised) who need help, just as easy as standing up for good people who want to come into our country legally, JUST as easy as I can stand up for the old white guy looking for a job at Walmart because he doesn't have much left after paying his medical bills.

In general, I do notice that white guys...

"white guys".. jeesh... What I question is the subliminal response from certain people who feel motivated to publicly announce they're (any color) and go out of their way to let people know...."I'm (any color) but I'm also a good (any color) person". I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, or that you personally are good or bad. What I am saying is, it's ok to be any color and do good things for people of any color, and you can do those good things without addressing the fact publicly that you yourself are that any color. And when you said:

"That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am."

Is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You could have easily just said "That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others." but on a subliminal level you felt the need to publicly let us know you are good person because you stand up for non whites even though you are yourself, a white person. I just don't subscribe to this mindset and I think it's a byproduct of the social state of our current society.

man...I disagree on so many levels. "It's easy to stand up for those like you." What does that even mean? I could care less what color, race, financial level, etc, someone is, when it comes to standing up for something or some issue. I can stand up for the black community in Chicago (where I was raised) who need help, just as easy as standing up for good people who want to come into our country legally, JUST as easy as I can stand up for the old white guy looking for a job at Walmart because he doesn't have much left after paying his medical bills.

"white guys".. jeesh... What I question is the subliminal response from certain people who feel motivated to publicly announce they're (any color) and go out of their way to let people know...."I'm (any color) but I'm also a good (any color) person". I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, or that you personally are good or bad. What I am saying is, it's ok to be any color and do good things for people of any color, and you can do those good things without addressing the fact publicly that you yourself are that any color. And when you said:

"That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others who aren't white and male, like I am."

Is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You could have easily just said "That is embarrassing to me since I like to think I stand up for others." but on a subliminal level you felt the need to publicly let us know you are good person because you stand up for non whites even though you are yourself, a white person. I just don't subscribe to this mindset and I think it's a byproduct of the social state of our current society.

I wonder how we got to the social state we are in? Must have been a bunch of folks taking advantage? Because the only folks who've taken advantage are those other guys.

Latest posts