• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Chief

Timeetyo

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I received a Gateway Chief in my RFDO players pack and was looking for more info - what is the deal on these? Not even a thread here on DGCR except for some really old 2009/2010 threads where they were "chiefs" which were wizards in H plastic - definitely not what this is. Are these still protos? Oddly enough these aren't listed on gateway's site but DGCR has a few with this description: "The chief is a low profile putt and approach disc with a bullet shaped nose and a bead on the wing for stability. This disc is basically a wizard with 1/4' of rim depth taken out of the middle. "

This is super shallow & FAF. Slightly more stable than my shield but very similar. I haven't really cranked on it to see how it holds up to drives yet. I'm really liking it so far especially for FH since it is so shallow. May make my bag just for FH putters shots since it feels so natural.

Profile pic is against a DX Aviar PnA

Attachments

• Shaman1.jpg
    Shaman1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Shaman2.jpg
    Shaman2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Shaman3.jpg
    Shaman3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 140
I saw one of these in PIAS last week. It feels awesome in the hand! It was black also, so I passed on it. if they release brighter colors, I'm all over trying one.

Its definitely a different mold than the older one like I have. This one is basically a domey wizard.

image.jpg

To the op, crank on it man. This thing adores power. It is my go to driving putter and long approach disc. With the shallow rim you can get an excellent power grip on it. It will turn a tiny bit but always comes back in the end with nice reliable fade. It has a bit less glide than my wizards, and I like that for driving. I really want a Chief in evolution platinum plastic
I would buy a stack of ten in a heartbeat.

Thx...I fail for searching title only for chief. Should edit that thread with Chief in the title.

I got a chief a couple weeks ago and thought about starting a new thread just because I was annoyed that the other one is called New Putter Prototype. Disc threads need the name of the disc in the title, only makes sense. I am sure that this disc was unnamed when the old thread started though.

To the op, crank on it man. This thing adores power. It is my go to driving putter and long approach disc. With the shallow rim you can get an excellent power grip on it. It will turn a tiny bit but always comes back in the end with nice reliable fade. It has a bit less glide than my wizards, and I like that for driving. I really want a Chief in evolution platinum plastic
I would buy a stack of ten in a heartbeat.

Agreed on wanting these in more durable plastic. Any idea how long it historically takes gateway to release new discs in other plastics? I may wait to get some other color / plastic choices.

Agreed on wanting these in more durable plastic. Any idea how long it historically takes gateway to release new discs in other plastics? I may wait to get some other color / plastic choices.

Chiefs have been made in the evo plastic. Not sure if they regular production yet but they have been made. The couple my buddy has aren't as flat as the baseline

Chiefs have been made in the evo plastic. Not sure if they regular production yet but they have been made. The couple my buddy has aren't as flat as the baseline

How do they compare flight wise with a bit of dome?

Saw the Chief disc stamp. Gotta say I really like the art. Anyone know who does their stamps?

I stopped by the store, and was told they have someone new doing their designs. So be on the lookout for a bunch of new stamps! I picked up a new stamped Wizard, and it's pretty awesome also (I guess ... I'm not a good judge of pretty and crap.)

Sounded like they would liken a Chief to a Judge.

How do they compare flight wise with a bit of dome?

If it is just a little dome, I would almost expect a little more glide with all the same properties. And I really don't think just a little dome would mess with the grip much. But I only speculate.

I was at the Pro Worlds Fly Mart last night and they had lots of Chiefs. Mostly they were in softer plastics (something between S and SSS, I can't really feel much of a difference). I bought a couple with cool Portland Words stamps. I did see a few in Evo, but I didn't really handle them much, so I can't speak to the dome.

I own a really beautiful Wizard in Evo I bought a while back and the combination of the dome and the Evo plastic makes it feel completely different in the hand to me than a normal Wizard. I don't throw it much as a consequence. It looks awesome (swirly purple with a flag stamp); it just feels more like a Star BB Aviar to me than a Wizard.

I stopped by the store, and was told they have someone new doing their designs. So be on the lookout for a bunch of new stamps! I picked up a new stamped Wizard, and it's pretty awesome also (I guess ... I'm not a good judge of pretty and crap.)

Sounded like they would liken a Chief to a Judge.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the new person doing the stamp designs is Nikko's lady or sister or something. I believe she's the one who does those sweet Fly Life stamps with the wolf and whatnot that Prodigy has been putting on discs.

Also, I love my chiefs. I bag a couple and have two in E plastic and one that is in S. Use them for short driving and hyzer approaches that are little long or need more fade than my Warden can give it. Also are the BOMB for putting in any wind. They are so shallow it's like the wind just doesn't get to them.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the new person doing the stamp designs is Nikko's lady or sister or something. I believe she's the one who does those sweet Fly Life stamps with the wolf and whatnot that Prodigy has been putting on discs.

Also, I love my chiefs. I bag a couple and have two in E plastic and one that is in S. Use them for short driving and hyzer approaches that are little long or need more fade than my Warden can give it. Also are the BOMB for putting in any wind. They are so shallow it's like the wind just doesn't get to them.

I haven't messed with putting as I am living my summits currently for that but I definitely noticed this in approaches today. Steady 15 mph wind with 25 gusts and I was doing some approach fieldwork. Of course my summits were useless approaching into that wind, but what really caught me by surprise was how much less the chief was blown around than my shields, especially into the wind. I've got an order in for a few more S Chiefs and I think shields will be out of the bag once they arrive. I was probably going to make the switch just because they are shallow enough to FH, but the wind fighting puts em over the top for me.

I haven't messed with putting as I am living my summits currently for that but I definitely noticed this in approaches today. Steady 15 mph wind with 25 gusts and I was doing some approach fieldwork. Of course my summits were useless approaching into that wind, but what really caught me by surprise was how much less the chief was blown around than my shields, especially into the wind. I've got an order in for a few more S Chiefs and I think shields will be out of the bag once they arrive. I was probably going to make the switch just because they are shallow enough to FH, but the wind fighting puts em over the top for me.

Yeah it's pretty cool. They are neat discs. I never putted with them until I played a super windy tournament last month and I'm fairly certain they saved my round.

Yeah it's pretty cool. They are neat discs. I never putted with them until I played a super windy tournament last month and I'm fairly certain they saved my round.

When I first got my Chief, I was a little worried about straight putting with it. I like a deeper rim for putting. What I have found is that the Chief is a great tweener mold for me. It is just between a mid and putter for me. This is extremely useful for my game. I can even sidearm this disc pretty reliably. And my sidearm sucks. Bad. Once they do a big release of platinum evo, I can see the Chief in premium and base being huge in my bag.