• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold rainy round tips

I appreciate the tips. I just wanted to see if anyone had tips for a colder round that I had not thought of (never have played a sub 50 rain round) The thermus is deffinatly something never would have though of. But it seems like I have most everything covered. I appreciate all your tips.

Yeah, I've played a couple of times with temps in the mid-30s, pouring rain, and wind. It doesn't get any worse than that.

(Except last time, at a team play tournament I was TDing, but not planning to play. One player didn't show up, so I got drafted. So I had to play in that miserable weather without the benefit of being mentally prepared).

Rain itself, at mild temps, is a matter of keeping dry, or dealing with being wet. My strategy is to just be wet, and live with it.

(Except the time I was wearing dri-fit clothes and got caught in a storm. It seemed like a good idea, since they don't hold water. But the wind blows right through them, and I thought I would succumb to hypothermia at 75 degrees)

Cold rain? Well, everyone's about covered it. You can't bring too many socks, extra shoes and clothes, but especially socks. I don't know if anyone mentioned hand-warmers, but I recommend them as well for your throwing hand. If you're in the habit of bringing a stool, don't---I find any sitting surface, whether benches or portable chairs, gets wet and you won't want to sit on them. This adds to the misery.

Finally, don't bring a gun. The temptation to use it on groups ahead of you that are playing slow, and causing backups, is just too great.

.....and I'll just add a prayer, that it's not actually raining at the start time. I find it easier to reconcile myself to being caught in the rain, than to convince myself to walk out into the rain to play.

Let's just hope the course doesn't find a way to revert back to old habits.
I dunno. Since they fixed the "drainage" last year I haven't seen it get too crazy. And we might luck out with light rain. Either way, good luck out there. I'll be carrying bag for my buddy, torn my shoulder. Lame

This might not apply as 50 is reasonably warm, but for colder rounds I keep my offhand warm with a ski mitten with a hand warmer in, and it helps enormously with stopping my throwing hand going numb... Unfortunately I didn't know this last year when the second day of a tournament was cold and wet with lots of wind and occasional hail. I couldn't feel my hand or grip anything for the last 10 holes or so.... Didn't do my ratings any favours!

I try not to play in wet, muddy, sloshy, etc, conditions anymore. As "fun" as some guys might think it is to man up and "iron man" the tournament, this is when people have the best chance of life altering falls, slips, slides, etc, etc, resulting in muscle pulls, tears, strains, etc, or worse. Also make sure to ask the td about re-defining the tee boxes so you can tee from grass instead of the muddy, slippery concrete tees. (Assuming the grass isn't just as bad.) Good luck and be safe!

Lol, I didn't even comprehend the OP as "cold" obviously I saw that in the title of the thread, but in the OP I read "under 60 degrees" and my brain comprehended, "ah, a nice balmy rainy day"

I played in a tournament a couple weeks ago where both days were miserable. Saturday rain both rounds, Sunday a mix of snow, hail, sleet, rain, wind, clouds, and sun (basically all four seasons in one round). One of my saving graces was a pair of fleece-lined jeans. They're a bit heavier than regular jeans, but they will absolutely keep your legs warm, and the extra layer of fleece helps keep the rain off of your body. This thread is old but I wanted to add my bit of wisdom that wasn't said before.

for colder rounds I keep my offhand warm with a ski mitten with a hand warmer.
^Hand warmers. Best thing you can use. I'm surprised It took this long for someone to suggest this.

When autumn turns into winter, I always pick up a box of Hot Hands for those cold, 7AM tournament starts. I usually just keep one hand warmer in my front pocket to keep my throwing hand warm and dry in between shots. One usually does the trick per round.

Like the old axiom in the infantry says, keeping your feet as warm and dry as possible is also prime. If you're playing two rounds in cold and rainy conditions, definitely switch socks and shoes during the interval, if possible. And have a dry towel in your car to dry and warm up your feet before you put on your new socks.

I love playing tournaments in these conditions. Just another way for players to separate from the competition.

Make sure you have a change of clothes to go home in. Put it in your car and don't touch it during the round.Still have some stuff top change to mid round, but make sure you have something dry to go home in, especially if you have any kind of drive.

I am gonna add a couple tips because knowing how to play in the rain can also be an advantage. I am 100% confident that knowing how has helped my performance in some tournaments.

I appreciate the tips. I just wanted to see if anyone had tips for a colder round that I had not thought of (never have played a sub 50 rain round) The thermus is deffinatly something never would have though of. But it seems like I have most everything covered. I appreciate all your tips.

I have a hand warmer that I wear around my beltline, kinda like what wide receivers and quarterbacks wear in the NFL. The best kind have a separate pouch for you to slip in the open-air hand warmers, so you get the benefit of a warm dry hand and constant warmth in case the outside air gets even colder. I use the one by UnderArmor.

I try not to play in wet, muddy, sloshy, etc, conditions anymore. As "fun" as some guys might think it is to man up and "iron man" the tournament, this is when people have the best chance of life altering falls, slips, slides, etc, etc, resulting in muscle pulls, tears, strains, etc, or worse. Also make sure to ask the td about re-defining the tee boxes so you can tee from grass instead of the muddy, slippery concrete tees. (Assuming the grass isn't just as bad.) Good luck and be safe!

While I understand this sentiment, having practiced a solid standstill game minimizes the effects of slipping. I go about once a month and practice drives from a pure standstill, so I don't have to freak about about slipping on run ups and walk ups. If you must have a run up, a) learn to do the slow walking run-up, b) - before each shot outside of treated teeboxes, do the walk up at regular speed two or three times to be sure of your footing before the actual throw, and c) put a small towel down on your pivot foot point to be sure you're getting similar footing everywhere.

Make sure you have a change of clothes to go home in. Put it in your car and don't touch it during the round.Still have some stuff top change to mid round, but make sure you have something dry to go home in, especially if you have any kind of drive.

Being able to change clothes between rounds makes you feel so much better -- even knowing your gonna get wet. And add to that, the key to having a good grip on your disc the last 1/3rd of the round, is not getting "wrinkle fingers" from being out in the deluge for so long. Get a birdie bag (dirt bag) and a sportsack, keep them in a baggie. only use them under the umbrella like others have said. When it's your turn to tee or throw, (if it's raining, go through the mental stuff in your mid under your umbrella, put your disc in your hand and walk up,make your throw. You want that hand exposed to the cold & wet as little as possible. Try a grip enhancer, like the Gorilla Gold towel or a spray like Prince Grip.

I also keep my most important disc, my putter, in a large baggie for the entire round if it rains. That baggie stays in my bag in the putter pouch at all times.

Latest posts