• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Comet Vs. Leopard

HiFi

Double Eagle Member
Too much overlap to carry both? Has one kicked the other out of your bag? The Leopard obviously has better distance but the Comet is more versatile.

The Comet and Leopard are not in the same category. One is a fairway driver, the other is a midrange. You can easily carry both in your bag.

The difference in distance for me is about 30 feet, and it seems like any line the Leopard can hold the Comet can hold with slightly less distance. Maybe it's just me.

What plastics are your discs in?

With good form, the Comet will go on a frozen rope, and not turn. The Leo has less HSS, so it should turn more on you.

I use Star Leopards and a Z Comet. Yes the Leopard will turn more at slow speeds, but if you release the Comet with a slight hyzer it will finish on a hyzer. I can throw my Comet almost 300 feet, and I wouldn't use my Leopard on anything over 330. So what I'm saying is it seems like the Comet can do most of what the Leopard does on top of it's versatility in general.

I use Star Leopards and a Z Comet. Yes the Leopard will turn more at slow speeds, but if you release the Comet with a slight hyzer it will finish on a hyzer. I can throw my Comet almost 300 feet, and I wouldn't use my Leopard on anything over 330. So what I'm saying is it seems like the Comet can do most of what the Leopard does on top of it's versatility in general.

The leo will work better on lower lines like a tight 300 foot tunnel shot with a low ceiling where a comet might require too much height. Imo you should master both.

The leo will work better on lower lines like a tight 300 foot tunnel shot with a low ceiling where a comet might require too much height. Imo you should master both.

This.

Plus, when the Leo turns over, especially on bigger throws with some height, it comes back. Once the Comet turns, she's gone.

I've been experimenting on getting by with a Comet and Teebird and skipping the Leopard. I felt like my drivers were getting a little crowded and I've been getting good distance out of the Comet. It's already kicked the Pure out of my bag as well for the time being. Unrelated but I also took out my Wraiths.

Last edited:
The Comet and Leopard are not in the same category. One is a fairway driver, the other is a midrange. You can easily carry both in your bag.

:thmbup: They fill completely different shots in the bag. You can power down drivers but I highly recommend keeping both in your bag.

With slower mids like the comet or roc, there's not too much overlap with the slower fairway drivers. You'd notice a lot more overlap if you tried to pair a faster understable mid like a stingray with a leopard.

you should preface the entire thread by letting everybody know that your bag really only has room for ~10 discs. makes more sense why you would be trying to eliminate anything that somewhat fills the same role.

even though i think you should carry both. ;~)

That hasn't mattered yet as I've been carrying the Comet Leopard and the Teebird, but the Leopard just isn't finding it's way out.

If you look at the Comet and the Leopard on the inFlight Guide they are nearly identical with the Leopard being farther obviously. I feel like 321 where they have the leopard listed is about my outer comfort zone on it, and I can put the Comet past the 284 they have it listed at.

I would miss the laser beam Leopard shots on occasion.

I may just drop my Teebird and Leopard and carry the Comet and TL.

The difference in distance for me is about 30 feet, and it seems like any line the Leopard can hold the Comet can hold with slightly less distance. Maybe it's just me.

You need to develop better form then. Drop the Leopard. Don't throw Drivers yet.

You need to develop better form then. Drop the Leopard. Don't throw Drivers yet.

LOL ok dude... My Comet goes almost 300 feet and my Teebird goes 350. Tern goes 400+. I think I can throw drivers just fine.

Keep both in the bag man.

In my main bag I carry both. I use my Comets in more open shots up to 310ft and I use my Leopards for more wooded shots up to 360ft.

Comets like high Lines and you get the most distance using this higher line,thus why I don't really recommend them for tighter wooded shots. The Leopard on the other hand loves a low shot and can handle the woods well.

So definitely keep both in the bag man. :thmbup:

This.

Plus, when the Leo turns over, especially on bigger throws with some height, it comes back. Once the Comet turns, she's gone.

Try a bottom stamped glo z comet in max weight. They'll go super straight 300 + with little fade at the end always. Beating in nice and slowly and one of my fav go to discs.

I dislike both. I threw Comets for a while and I had a leo a loooong time ago but an FD and a Mako took both of those spots for me.