• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common mistakes at first tournament

As others have said, use a marker disc. And, place the marker down BEFORE picking up your disc. Don't ask how I know to share this tidbit of info.

If the tourney is in a public park, where the public is allowed to go about their business during the tourney, ask the TD what the rules are about a disc picked up by a bystander. This happened to another member in my group at my first tourney. A child picked his disc up and threw it back towards him. Luckily, all in our group had seen where his original lie was, and, we agreed to let him replace it and throw from there.

David

I'm diggin this thread. Its my goal to play in my first tourney this year. So I'm lookin to do well and have a great time while doing it. Lots of pearls in here. Some stuff I already knew or assumed, but a reminder is always good.

Keep it coming.

Be mentally prepared ahead of time. Illegal burning during the round is a NO-NO. If you must partake and can't find a secluded spot, make sure the rest of your group doesn't mind. Don't intentionally put someone in the position to have to make an unpopular rules call.

Did somebody mention snacks already? Probably.

Bring snacks. 4 hours can be a long time with an empty tummy.

Be mentally prepared ahead of time. Illegal burning during the round is a NO-NO. If you must partake and can't find a secluded spot, make sure the rest of your group doesn't mind. Don't intentionally put someone in the position to have to make an unpopular rules call.

If you must partake and can't find a secluded spot either quit and go home or sack up and wait until the round is over.

Shake off the shots that don't go your way. Each toss is a new throw.

I've also found that the more fun I'm having the better I do.

Great advice.

Shake off the shots that don't go your way. Each toss is a new throw.

I've also found that the more fun I'm having the better I do.

Don't be to worried on rules and have fun. Ask people about rules at tournament. They will have different rules at each course. Each tournament will get easier.

The couple of tournaments I played in allowed us to purchase 3 mulligans per round. If yours allows this, BUY THEM! Also, use them wisely. I'd suggest using them on missed putts rather than an errant drive.

Don't cuss at the top of your lungs after you miss a shot with a TD standing near by. Cuss under your breath if you have to.

Also, when you are in a group, and someone is making a shot, stop talking. I have seen guys get really pissed if you distract them.

The couple of tournaments I played in allowed us to purchase 3 mulligans per round. If yours allows this, BUY THEM! Also, use them wisely. I'd suggest using them on missed putts rather than an errant drive.
Depends on how bad the drive is. A missed putt will probably only cost you one stroke, but a bad drive can easily turn into two or three added strokes.

A lot of players learn the very efficient trick of adding their score by counting up each hole as the amount over/under three for each hole and then taking that offset vs. 54.
  • E.g. if your card reads: (3 3 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 2 3 3 3 4 3 3 5 3) you'd go across in your head, ignoring each three, and adding as such: -1 (first "2"), -2 (second "2"), -1 (first "4"), +1 (first "5"), 54+1 = 55.

• The gotcha is that players do this so often that when they play a layout that isn't 18 holes they forget that the base is no longer 54. If you play 21 holes you take the offset vs. 63. It's a not uncommon mistake when playing non-18-hole layouts.
If it's a sanctioned tournament every disc you throw must bear your unique mark (or it's a stroke penalty per throw after the first warning). (802.01 F @ http://www.pdga.com/rules/80201-discs-used-in-play)

Mark your discs on the top and bottom. It's entirely possible that you and another player on your card will both throw the same disc in the same plastic, that are the same color, with the same stamp. If you happen to land in the same general vicinity and you walk up and throw your shot from behind his lie instead of yours you get a two stroke penalty (without warning). It happened to me once. Now I mark the top and bottom of my discs.

Know which hole you just played and read the tee sign on the hole you're about to play to make sure you're at the correct one. As others have pointed out sometimes the layout of the course is not obvious. This one happened to me too.

It's usually overkill, but you can keep your own personal scorecard too. That way if the other person keeping score screws up the scorekeeping via marking the wrong holes, or wrong players, or whatever, you can make sure that at least yours is fixed correctly.

last weekend i played in my first tournament and i learned always stay still, and even though you are playing in ur own division by yourself u can still get yelled at, also have your foot exactly within 11 inches of your marker or your toast

In the circle you must maintain balance and control until the disc is in the can, don't start walking towards it early.

Not exactly. Doesn't have anything to do with the disc in the basket.

PDGA Rulebook said:
803.04 C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.
--http://www.pdga.com/rules/80304-stance-subsequent-to-teeing-off

Also clarified by the Rules Committee in the Q&A, excerpt
PDGA Rules Q&A said:
The rules do not require that you maintain your balance while putting. You can have a grand mal seizure as long as you don't step ahead of your lie. At the time you decide to step ahead of your lie is when you have to demonstrate balance. This is simply to prove that you are not committing a falling putt, such that you would not be able to stop yourself from falling forward due to the motion of your putt.
--http://www.pdga.com/faq/299#299n836

Not exactly. Doesn't have anything to do with the disc in the basket.

--http://www.pdga.com/rules/80304-stance-subsequent-to-teeing-off

Also clarified by the Rules Committee in the Q&A, excerpt
--http://www.pdga.com/faq/299#299n836
I actually called myself on this very rule at a monthly this weekend but nobody knew what I was talking about. I had a pretty severe uphill 30 foot putt. I hit the chains, made the putt, and then fell forward onto the incline. I felt, because I didn't show control of my body inside the circle, I broke the rule. All I got back was, "No, man! That was a great putt!"

I tried.

I actually called myself on this very rule at a monthly this weekend but nobody knew what I was talking about. I had a pretty severe uphill 30 foot putt. I hit the chains, made the putt, and then fell forward onto the incline. I felt, because I didn't show control of my body inside the circle, I broke the rule. All I got back was, "No, man! That was a great putt!"

I tried.

Next time just fake a grand mal over the line, and you'll be golden. :D

Next time just fake a grand mal over the line, and you'll be golden. :D

Not quite, you can have a grand mal seizure as long as you fall behind your lie. It's touching the ground (or anything else) in front of your lie before demonstrating balance that's not allowed.

Latest posts