• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Compass midrange

This has been bothering me for few days now and finally I got a chance to go out and throw this again. I even had a moderately big armed pro with me.

I took a new Compass, new Zero Mace, a year old Fuzion Truth and a almost new Lucid Verdict with me and we both had a few throws on them. The outcome was that the only one that had any substantial turn was Verdict :eek:. Truth drifted right a bit while both Mace and Compass just held their lines perfectly.

All of the discs were 177+. The Truth is maybe a bit freakish for a Truth as it is really stable compared to most of the others, but it certainly isn't one of those old Truth stamped Verdicts.

So in the end I will hold on to my previous assessment of these molds. I will also say that the Compass seems a really promising disc and will have bunch of Disc of the Year potential.
I'm confused with your assessment. The verdict had turn? And the mace, truth and compass didn't? The verdict should be more over stable and at least more hss than the other 3, this dosent quite jive.

Also the truth "etched" verdicts, were verdicts. And the fuzion truth is the least stable plastic for that mold, usually with lower plh.

The compass seems to compare to the evidence or claymore. No?

I'm confused with your assessment. The verdict had turn? And the mace, truth and compass didn't? The verdict should be more over stable and at least more hss than the other 3, this dosent quite jive.

Also the truth "etched" verdicts, were verdicts. And the fuzion truth is the least stable plastic for that mold, usually with lower plh.

The compass seems to compare to the evidence or claymore. No?
All I can say that my experience with Verdict does not match with the one I hear talked about on DGCR. This has been also confirmed by couple of my friends.

What comes to the Compass, it is definitely more OS than Evidence or Claymore. For me the description beadless Mace is pretty accurate, but I can easily see the comparisons to ROC3 as well.

The Verdict is way more (over)stable than the Roc3 for my arm. I don't got a big arm tho, but even when I'm torquing the Verdict wildly it has no turn

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking beadless mace as well. I like the beaded midranges: truth, mace, verdict. In that order of stability too. So that is what is staying in the bag. Unless they do a Mace 3 that is more os, then I would be forking out some dough.

The Verdict is way more (over)stable than the Roc3 for my arm. I don't got a big arm tho, but even when I'm torquing the Verdict wildly it has no turn

Most definitely. The roc3 is reliably straight with a small fade. The verdict is easily more hss and lsf.

Sooo, the flight numbers are way off then for the compass? Kinda like the World..

Most definitely. The roc3 is reliably straight with a small fade. The verdict is easily more hss and lsf.

Sooo, the flight numbers are way off then for the compass? Kinda like the World..

On the contrary- the flight numbers are pretty dead on for me. Fade I might put at a 0.5

Disc flies pretty true to numbers. Now I just gotta decide if I'm going to be throwing the Compass or Mace along with my Verdict.

the two things Trilogy can't get right are a Buzzz and a Teebird/Thunderbird. Hoping this thing is Buzzz-stability and the Culverin is a Thunderbird.

the two things Trilogy can't get right are a Buzzz and a Teebird/Thunderbird. Hoping this thing is Buzzz-stability and the Culverin is a Thunderbird.

The Culverin is spot on dude. They definitely went right into my bag. Its right between a thunderbird and a PD. As far as the compass goes, I'm not sure if its going into the bag. I prefer the Mace and Verdict, and those two discs definitely have flat tops, and amazing rim for gripping, we will see if the Compass fits in.

I want this to be a longer Suspect. To me, that's one of the best "hold any line" discs made. The Suspect was just a little short for what I wanted out of my mids. Suspects i would throw up to 300', and my Truths I'm throwing out to 330'. If the Compass was a Suspect+30ft, it would be game over.

I want this to be a longer Suspect. To me, that's one of the best "hold any line" discs made. The Suspect was just a little short for what I wanted out of my mids. Suspects i would throw up to 300', and my Truths I'm throwing out to 330'. If the Compass was a Suspect+30ft, it would be game over.

Isn't a "Suspect+30ft" just an OS fairway driver? I mean it sounds like you're describing a champ Teebird or something. Generally an OS mid like a Suspect isn't going to go as far as a straight mid like a Truth. If you want the same OS flight in a longer disc, then why not just throw a fairway driver?

The VIP Sampos are basically Thunderbirds. Maybe a little less fade, but very similar feel. As far as I can tell, Core = Buzzz.

I will agree that they haven't figured out the Teebird. But then, it seems like most manufacturers are all moving away from Speed 6/7 and more toward 9/10.

I think it will fit in between really. The Compass has a more traditional mid rim while the Truth is a very fast mid (rim width 1.3mm vs 1.5mm). So the Compass isn't really the stable Truth. That being said, I still think it should be a bit longer than a Suspect. Interesting to hear how you find it.

The VIP Sampos are basically Thunderbirds. Maybe a little less fade, but very similar feel. As far as I can tell, Core = Buzzz.

I will agree that they haven't figured out the Teebird. But then, it seems like most manufacturers are all moving away from Speed 6/7 and more toward 9/10.
I don't think the VIP Sampo is even close to a Thunderbird, more like the new-old Beast. Maybe you are drawing conclusions from the Elasto Sampo, which was a different animal.

Isn't a "Suspect+30ft" just an OS fairway driver? I mean it sounds like you're describing a champ Teebird or something. Generally an OS mid like a Suspect isn't going to go as far as a straight mid like a Truth. If you want the same OS flight in a longer disc, then why not just throw a fairway driver?

I've never found the Suspect to be OS. I've thrown about 6 different suspects in different plastics all in max weight, and they were all straight with just a little fade right at the end of the flight out to about 300'. I personally would rate all the suspects ive thrown as a 4/4/-.5/2. They have good HSS and didn't have much LSS, which made it a perfect "hold and line" disc. That's what I'm hoping from the compass...great HSS and low LSS. I guess it'll have to come down to throwing the disc myself.

Just got one yesterday and took it out to the local course to try it out.

My old midrange setup was a drone for overstable, roc3 stable and shark3, I've since replaced that with a prodigy H2, pain and compass.

It feels a lot like a roc3, but will glide nicely and hold a nice straight line with very low power < 100 foot throws.

I threw it again today and I would settle it between a Truth and Verdict. Holds its own in headwind, not a meathook. Good HSS no dumpy fade at the end. And it feels good in my hands. I like it better than the Truth and Mace for main midrange duties. I hope it works well for Wysocki also and comes out in base plastic soon.

Hooboy, this is a nice disc.

Dynamic sent me a 167-gram Compass to review, and I dig it. I was expecting it to be more OS than the numbers, given that it's a Wysocki sig disc, but for my power it held pretty true. (Maybe it was the low weight.) Flat release and it just goes suuuuuper straight with a baby fade. Flexes out of an anny after about 80% of the flight, but still holds a hyzer. In fact, the only issue I really had with it was that, on the hyzer line, I didn't get much extended glide out of it and it kinda died, as opposed to my Truths. However, I didn't find this as power-hungry as the Truth, and the high speed stability was exceptional.

Also, it's basically a Buzzz in the hand, so you can't go wrong there.

Looking forward to throwing it more. Might kick out the Truth if they can keep them as flat as the one I have. Have everyone else's been flat so far?

I have three and none of them are really board flat like some of the Truths and most of the Verdicts. Wouldn't call it really domey either, more like a traditional mid shape.

What comes to the stability, I would assume that the weight has a lot to do with it. 167g for a mid is like 164g driver and that goes almost into the Blizzard / Air territory. You should definitely try a heavier weight before putting in the final verdict on the mold.

The not so power hungry thing is true though as I feel the Compass powers down way better than the Truth. I think this has a lot to do with the narrower rim design which makes it more mid-like while the Truth is more of a tweener.

Latest posts