• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Compass midrange

I think the biggest difference between this and a truth is speed. It is a tick more (over)stable also, but the profile is a bit blunter, so it feels like a 4 or 4.5 (like a roc) were as the truth really feels like more than a 5.
What he said. I've been bagging both and doing comparison shots when I can. I tend to get more forward LS glide out of the Truth (not EMAC) and a little more range where the Compass tends to sit down quicker and be a hair more overstable. It's a small adjustment in the release angle, but I can get both discs within 5 feet of each other on straight shots. I was super excited for the Compass and have a sweet Opto, but right now I'm not sure if it's gonna get much use except for headwinds. It's no issue with the disc, but the Truth has been money and with the extra bit of speed/range it hasn't let me down.

This is the heaviest disc I throw at 176g in opto and it bombs! Placed it next to the pin on holes where most guys throw max d drivers. Throw flat it goes straight, turns, then hyzers. It reminds me of a max d flex shot. Favorite mid in the bag.

I kind of want to try a GL compass after Dollar said it was more OS than the Optos.

The latest DD newsletter included rather interesting new release, Lat 64 World Champ starter set!

Normally I skip these kinds of sets completely, but this time I had to stop and read it twice. It seems like Latitude is coming out with Retro Saint Pro and Retro Compass. Wo hoo! :)

I will definitely try out both and especially the Compass could find a permanent home in the bag as a cycling mid.

I just hope the Retro Compass starts on the beefy side of compasses as Retro beats in fast.

Last edited:
I kind of want to try a GL compass after Dollar said it was more OS than the Optos.

My GL Compass started out as stable as my Opto (Sockibomb) Compass, if not more, but it seasoned in more quickly, as well. Both are still good discs.

The latest DD newsletter included rather interesting new release, Lat 64 World Champ starter set!

Normally I skip these kinds of sets completely, but this time I had to stop and read it twice. It seems like Latitude is coming out with Retro Saint Pro and Retro Compass. Wo hoo! :)

I will definitely try out both and especially the Compass could find a permanent home in the bag as a cycling mid.

I just hope the Retro Compass starts on the beefy side of compasses as Retro beats in fast.

If only it were available outside the set. I'm surprised that doesn't come with a BT Harp

If only it were available outside the set. I'm surprised that doesn't come with a BT Harp

I wouldn't put a harp in a starter set. I would put in the retro line mercy though. Not to mention it should be all latitude discs.

I think that the Prime / Retro discs released as part of starter sets have usually (always?) become production molds sold separately a bit later on.

Quick question for Compass throwers... I currently have two Compasses (Max weight opto for straight with late fade, and low weight opto for smooth turnovers and low power straight shots) and I'd like to get one more that is more stable than my max weight. What are the most stable Compasses that I can find?

Quick question for Compass throwers... I currently have two Compasses (Max weight opto for straight with late fade, and low weight opto for smooth turnovers and low power straight shots) and I'd like to get one more that is more stable than my max weight. What are the most stable Compasses that I can find?

I'd recommend you look at an Anchor for that more-overstable slot.

Yeah you might need to go to a different mold if you already have a max weight Opto that is straight HSS with some finish. A Verdict is probably a good step up but it should have similar HSS to a stable Compass, with more fade (and it is a faster mid than the Compass). I have not thrown an Anchor but I think that's what Ricky is using for his OS mid to complement his Compasses.

Is there any good footage of Ricky tossing this mid outside of the launch video? I mean...I know his name is on it...and he SAYS he uses it. But seems to me he pretty much just throws Harps and the Anchor. I wouldn't mind seeing this disc at use in his hands.

Is there any good footage of Ricky tossing this mid outside of the launch video? I mean...I know his name is on it...and he SAYS he uses it. But seems to me he pretty much just throws Harps and the Anchor. I wouldn't mind seeing this disc at use in his hands.

Agree with your observations. I'd say that if you see Ricky throwing a turnover mid, you're seeing him throw a Compass...

I suspect that if the Anchor had come out before the Compass, the Anchor might well have been Ricky's sig disc. Once the Anchor came out, it became Ricky's "go to" mid...

Anyone else thrown the 2x Gold X Compass yet?

My first impression is that it flies very very close to my beloved beat in gold... I love it but I think they're too close to both be in the bag.

Beat in compass went out and the even straighter gold-x went in.

Any comparison between gold and the new gold burst plastic available? Gotta know if this is a matter of a new generation less stable Compasses.

I'm transitioning my bag towards lighter discs and the 161g Opto Air Compass is my second lightweight disc and the first light midrange in my bag. I was skeptical about light discs in general and especially midranges but I threw it for 27 holes this morning and it's a keeper.

The only line I wasnt able to get it to hold was a gentle anhyzer (and course layout had something to do with that), otherwise its point and shoot holding whatever line you put it on.

In zero wind 95 degree weather I was able to consistently push 265-275 with 75% effort, it finishes straight and soft.

The best part is I played 18 holes using just the Opto Air Compass and a putter and 9 adding the Opto Air Explorer to the mix, and for the first time in forever my shoulder isnt killing me after!

So I lost my Buzzz yesterday and after a brief mourning period have decided to use this as an opportunity to try out some new molds. Ive got a beat up prime Emac Truth I plan to use in the meantime but the Compass has piqued my interest.

I know this won't be a direct replacement for the Buzzz but does any use the Compass as their primary workhorse mid? Is it worth trying one out in Retro or should I just go straight to Opto?

So I lost my Buzzz yesterday and after a brief mourning period have decided to use this as an opportunity to try out some new molds. Ive got a beat up prime Emac Truth I plan to use in the meantime but the Compass has piqued my interest.

I know this won't be a direct replacement for the Buzzz but does any use the Compass as their primary workhorse mid? Is it worth trying one out in Retro or should I just go straight to Opto?

Straight to Opto. Incredible disc. Not my workhorse now, but it easily could be. I don't know your thoughts on Gyro, but if you aren't opposed, I have one I like...

Latest posts