• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complaining About Facebook Auctions MEGATHREAD!!!

loki993

Eagle Member
Maybe I just haven't been paying as much attention but the prices people are paying for discs and some of the process people ask seems like a lot.

Especially on the FB groups, even a few month ago you could find some decent stuff. Now its all collectors discs with people tons of money for stuff.

When did KC Pro and 11xs become as valuable as CE? What about beat to hell inked thrower CEs for 50 bucks? Any teebird that isn't made anymore.....JK Pros...anything "perly"

Is this a recent phenomenon or any I just noticing now because I'm actually paying more attention to it?

Last edited:
The only recent phenomenon is the facebook groups, which have inflated the prices a bit i agree. But they are also great for people like me with "normal" type discs. I can throw a new basic plastic disc up there I couldn't get $7 shipped for here and get $10 on the auction site.

Mint pearly 11xs have always been high $$$. I thought I've seen the CE prices come DOWN actually, maybe I'm the crazy one

Maybe its just because I'm looking for stuff now and I'm like damn that a lot of money

yeah where I see the most is on Facebook and tis not the sellers as much as it is the buyers, though sometimes tis the sellers too. They will just pay crazy prices for stuff on there, I don't get it.

As for CE I don't pay too much attention because its always been too expensive for me. But I figured I could get some relative bargains on some 10x or 11x stuff or something like that and there just aren't any....Maybe I need to manage my expectations

Mint pearly 11xs have always been high $$$. I thought I've seen the CE prices come DOWN actually, maybe I'm the crazy one

I think the fact that a lot of CE is starting to crack is bringing the prices down. Last winter was tough on a lot of pricey plastic.

no-joke said yesterday, "I'm gonna unload a bunch of stamps on FB cuz they'll buy anything they've never seen"

comin' for your money, job-slackers

also bought 2 x 8/10 Pro Rhynos yesterday for $5 each.
DAAAANGER ZONE

I think the fact that a lot of CE is starting to crack is bringing the prices down. Last winter was tough on a lot of pricey plastic.
Wouldn't that make them rarer and, hence, more expensive?

Part of what I always thought sold people on CE in the first place is the durability and retention of its flight characteristics. Now that it's no longer bulletproof, why pay the premium for it? KC Pros seen a rise in price lately. I imagine once it stops being the next bulletproof plastic, old Champ will bring the premium.

What do I know though? I'm just a simple disc thrower. Your collecting ways frighten and confuse me.

I have to agree, especially with the facebook thing.

This issue goes much deeper than the rare & OOP market. People are using flashy adjectives, as well as generous condition ratings to bait clueless people into paying much more than a fair price for a disc you can get off the shelf at PIAS.

I place absolutely no blame on the sellers, though. If someone is willing to buy a disc for way more than it's worth, why wouldn't you sell it? You would be foolish not to.

A recent example was the circle stamp Eagles. I wanted one beacuse I like Eagles, and they look really cool. They sold out quickly form the Innova store, and they immediately started popping up elsewhere online, selling for damn near twice as much as they were bought for originally. Not worth it to me. I'll take a stock stamp 12x any day of the week, and not feel terrible about losing it in the water.

I understand how a free market works, but the buying and selling of discs shouldn't be about making money. A second hand disc (even if it's new) should never sell for more than one straight from the store (I don't care how pearly and flat it is).

I occasionally browse the auction and collector sites, and have to restrain myself from pointing out how foolish these people are.

I have no real solution to this problem. Personally, I try to trade locally, or buy new from my neighborhood shop. And I don't mess around with the OOP market. There is too much fluctuation and gouging.

I could rant about this issue all day ($30 for a disc because it has a dye..:mad:)
A $30 used disc will not make you a 1000 rated golfer. Period.

Certain blends of the 10x and 11x KC Pro's are really nice. Glad I stocked up a few years ago. 11x Champion has been creeping higher every year. The lowest prices I have seen on CE has been on dgcr.

I realize that this thread is more about the price of peer-to-peer disc sales, but I think some producer's suggested retail price a bit high on new plastic too.

Not necessarily. CE is valued as collector's items, but the collector value grew because they were prized as throwers. So the mint ones in great shape that hang on walls will probably hold their value, but the 6/10 inked throwers probably won't keep going up forever unless someone decides to collect beat-in discs. The fact that the plastic is beginning to crack means it isn't as indestructible as some thought. Plus we are finally starting to get some other options for grippy, high quality premium plastic. Supply and demand still holds true, but you have to consider scarcity as well, and what makes the disc scarce.

Is there a disc bubble? (I don't mean x-outs or Blizzard plastic.)

I think the unique market has gotten more expensive. By that I mean: pearly, blurple, domey, etc.

And I think the limited run market has gone through the roof as well. discgolfcenter is selling glow verdicts for $30. It is kind of funny that companies are releasing what people want, but only in limited runs, and it's almost exclusively glow plastic. Glo zones, glow PD's, glow verdicts.

Over the last year prices definitely have gotten jacked up. However, major props to DD/Lat/Westside for the recycled line. That plastic is off the chain and its really cheap.

I think the big change is more high dollar premium plastic being produced, cheap plastic is still there, don't worry!

I guess it's time to unload all my 11x KC Pro Teebirds, and swap them out for 11x Champs.

I didn't mean any specific producer.

I think the big change is more high dollar premium plastic being produced, cheap plastic is still there, don't worry!

^^^This is what I meant. I know there's plenty of reasonably priced base line plastics out there, but it just seems like the trend is towards producing premium plastic discs.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a collector. Personally, I think anything over $30 is nuts, and I've never paid more than $20 (although I've done so a few times $20 a few times for swirl APX's and a Z-Storm).

That being said, while I don't display plastic, I get hanging stuff on the wall purely for aesthetic value (supercolor, special stamps, natural beauties, etc.), if that's how you choose to decorate. Don't get hanging 7x, 10x, etc... they're just OOP and an matter of supply/demand.

Maybe more to the point, aren't they prized specifically because of attributes that go directly to playing the game: feel, flight, durability, etc? I mean if the Arrow went OOP, it doubt people would be getting $40 for an 8/10 a couple years from now. And just how many strokes less will you throw with 10x KC Pro Roc vs. a 12x? :rolleyes:

I do realize there are subtle differences and blends and molds change, but I think people tend to make a bigger deal of it than it really is. Admittedly, I'm far from an expert on rare and old discs, but I realize there's a market for certain discs, and should I come across what I perceive to be a bargain, I'd jump just to sell it for a few bucks more... specifically because of the current market demand.

I suppose "nuts" is just a number. For me it's $30. For some it might be $12, someone else = $80... you can bow out when/wherever you want to. :|

Last edited:
I realize that this thread is more about the price of peer-to-peer disc sales, but I think some producer's suggested retail price a bit high on new plastic too.

^^^This is what I meant. I know there's plenty of reasonably priced base line plastics out there, but it just seems like the trend is towards producing premium plastic discs.

I wouldn't doubt it as I'm assuming there is more margin in them. They can't cost that much more, if any, to produce then base plastic discs yet sell for 50 or 60 percent more.

I've noticed this as well. Special runs and limited editions, ultra-premium plastic, whatever you want to call it, have made $20-25 very normal. All the Innova Glow Champ is $20-$25. CryZtal is $20- $25. Any Prodigy or MVP is $20 or darn close. I don't collect anything special, but it just seems like the prices of regular stock is creeping up a dollar or two at a time. Maybe it's just all the $20+ price tags being so normal that makes it feel like all prices are going up.

I remember reading somewhere that CE was limited b/c no one knew if people would pay $15 for a disc. Question answered. $20 is the new $15. It's crazy how stuff like this works, though. There's got to be less than $1.00 worth of material in a product that we pay $20 for.

Latest posts