• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Counties with least holes per capita

Whirlwind Disc Golf

Bogey Member
We Bay Area disc golfers are trying to convince San Mateo county to install a course, just one course, somewhere in the county. Right now, there is one 18-hole course, an awesome overcrowded course, to serve the ~1.5 million people in San Francisco and adjoining San Mateo counties.

That's roughly one hole for every 85,000 people. Do any other areas have fewer holes per capita? I suspect New York City would qualify...

According to this site, there is only one course in all of NYC.

Of the counties that have a course, my guess is it'd be Queens County, NY.

High land values + strict environmental restrictions = good luck getting a course in.

ok, what's the biggest county with no courses

After the boroughs of New York City, what's the biggest county with no courses? San Mateo county has zero holes for over 700,000 people. DC has zero holes and fewer people -- a little under 700,000.

San Mateo county is adjoined to San Francisco County with ~800,000 people and one course.

Another calculation: What's the average number of people per hole across the whole country? Hmm, ~3200 courses, ~12 holes average, ~320 million people... that's one hole for every 8,333 people.

Just to be average, the ~1.5 million people of San Francisco and San Mateo counties should have ten 18-hole courses!

Boston also has zero courses and about the same population as DC.

I've only played Golden Gate Park DGC once, it wasn't all that busy. I've seen worse... :eek:

I live in a town of 63,000, approx 93 in the county and there are 54 permenant holes. so 1722 a hole. That and the 285 dream land is a 2.5h drive-

hehe, busiest courses

I've only played Golden Gate Park DGC once, it wasn't all that busy. I've seen worse... :eek:

wish we had a way to track actual number of rounds played at all the courses on DGCR, or at least reasonably good guesses. we think GGP is in the top 5 busiest courses in the world, but have no way to verify.

It's possible to calculate the demand for a new course. Here is what I did in 2009.

attachment.php

However, the demand from disc golfers for a new course is not the primary factor in whether a new course should go in. More important is the landowner's goals for the course. Disc golf should only go into a county park if it can help further the mission of the county parks.

If it can't, disc golfers should look for other landowners - for whom disc golf can further their goals. Maybe corporations or churches that want to "give back" to the community. Or resorts, camps, and commercial recreational areas looking to enhance their overall value.

Attachments

• MostDemand.jpg
    MostDemand.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 97
2015 update?

It's possible to calculate the demand for a new course. Here is what I did in 2009.

attachment.php

However, the demand from disc golfers for a new course is not the primary factor in whether a new course should go in. More important is the landowner's goals for the course. Disc golf should only go into a county park if it can help further the mission of the county parks.

If it can't, disc golfers should look for other landowners - for whom disc golf can further their goals. Maybe corporations or churches that want to "give back" to the community. Or resorts, camps, and commercial recreational areas looking to enhance their overall value.

Steve,

Yes, demand doesn't generate supply in disc golf. :)

I'd love to know the criteria for this map. I'm guessing PDGA registrations by zip code compared to holes within a certain proximity...?

Would it be a lot of work to produce a 2015 version?

Thanks,
Leonard

Steve,

Yes, demand doesn't generate supply in disc golf. :)

I'd love to know the criteria for this map. I'm guessing PDGA registrations by zip code compared to holes within a certain proximity...?

Would it be a lot of work to produce a 2015 version?

Thanks,
Leonard

Population, distance to every course, and size of courses. The units of demand are people, and the number of plays per week is about one in every 200-400 people.

The first time I did it out of curiosity and for proof of concept. Now, it's enough work (from me and TimG) that I need a good reason to set aside all the other things I'm working on.

I'd guess Chicago ^ for the above.

The county I live in has low property values, a ton of land, and yet only has 27 total holes for 111,460-ish people. :gross:

Cincinnati's not bad. I live east of town and have 570 holes within a 60 minute drive (according to mapquest). The Greater Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky area has 2,130,151 residents (2010 census, 27th ranked in the country), which means 3,737 people per hole. Compared to the above national average estimated at 8,333, I suppose we're blessed with a pretty good disc golf scene. :thmbup:

Latest posts