• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
If you guys are really serious about competitively bagging courses, why not incorporate the rating into the equation?

Every course is a labor of love by either individuals or a club somewhere. In that sense, I would say every course you play counts the same.
It's all volunteer time, and in a way course bagging is honoring that work.
Of course...but then again, harder to maintain 18 than 9.

If you guys are really serious about competitively bagging courses, why not incorporate the rating into the equation?

I probably have the Highest average Rating, and the fewest 9ers, in my estimation of probabilies :p

Every course is a labor of love by either individuals or a club somewhere. In that sense, I would say every course you play counts the same.
It's all volunteer time, and in a way course bagging is honoring that work.

You're being extremely generous. I'll show you plenty of courses that are neglected or in a state of disrepair.

I love bagging courses, my primary concerns are bagging all the courses near me in the states of California, Nevada, and Arizona. When I travel I try to bag better then average courses unless I'm with my son. Then we do a 3 to 1 ratio. One great course and three 9 hole ok courses to mix up the fun. He's 11 years old. Going forward I see myself just picking disc golf hot spots and staying local to play as much as I can. Like Charlotte, Minneapolis, Des Moine, Portland, etc. I'm still capable of slinging 100+ holes a day but the long drives are wearing on me. God I need my son to get his license!!!

If course bagging street cred ratings were determined by average rating of courses played, then all hell would break loose regarding ratings towards the top (already sometimes a contentious issue); also, no one would ever play chitty courses to warn others to stay away. ;)

I probably have the Highest average Rating, and the fewest 9ers, in my estimation of probabilies :p

If course bagging street cred ratings were determined by average rating of courses played, then all hell would break loose regarding ratings towards the top (already sometimes a contentious issue); also, no one would ever play chitty courses to warn others to stay away. ;)
I don't expect it to happen retroactively, but rather moving forward. The Modern Era.

I'm at a point where I want to bag courses, but am very limited by what I am physically able to do. So, sure I'd rather play the No Boundary courses and 2 Mile Extension when it Pittsburgh for appointments tomorrow and Tuesday. But I'll just have to be happy to play an easy 9 hole courses or two. Maybe the Park at Faith Church and Valley High to add a couple new ones to my list.

My circumstances have certainly changed the courses that I can try to bag.

I always try to play the best in an area when I travel . . . but sometimes I also play 9's and quick plays due to daylight, desire for quantity over quality, and because I truly believe there can be redeeming value on any course even a short 9'er. I also enjoy ace runs from time to time and I also try to check off an entire area by playing everything in an area so I don't have to come back for a while.

I have maintained a holes played per course statistic and I currently average about 14.5 holes per course that means I play about an equal amount of 9 hole courses versus 18 hole courses (some with more some with less).

If you want a course bagger who has probably played the best overall quality . . . I would imagine that would be Avery Jenkins since he has travelled to tourneys for decades!

The course baggers I've met, aren't avoiding quality. At least I hope not, because I've mostly met them at Stoney Hill. They're being sure to hit all the high-rated courses, while hitting as many total courses as they can.

There's something for the novelty of a new course, or a new hole, regardless of quality. A chance to throw a hole you've never seen before.

Just yesterday I played about 5 random 9 holers in the time that it would have taken me to play Bear Cave Park in SE, MN.

However, later in the day, I did choose to play the newest Cedar Creek Course near Fairmont, MN instead of dipping down into Iowa sooner to play the quicker 9s.

I will have QUANTITY and QUALITY!

Being a Disc Golf Course Counting Slut, I'll drive out of my way to bag a 9 holer as it counts as a course played, and it will eventually lead me to another course. Not every course is a 4 or 5 star course (out of 5). Generally speaking most of the courses I've played are average or worse. But I like traveling around playing as many NEW DG courses as God gives me the ability to play! I've played 19 /25 listed Top 25 courses on DGCR (Don't ask me about Udisc, cause I use DGCR!!)

Being a Disc Golf Course Counting Slut, I'll drive out of my way to bag a 9 holer as it counts as a course played, and it will eventually lead me to another course. Not every course is a 4 or 5 star course (out of 5). Generally speaking most of the courses I've played are average or worse. But I like traveling around playing as many NEW DG courses as God gives me the ability to play! I've played 19 /25 listed Top 25 courses on DGCR (Don't ask me about Udisc, cause I use DGCR!!)
Well Dan, I heard you are closing in on 2000. We would be honored if you would consider hitting that milestone at Sugaree.

I'm not getting my hopes up. Word on the street is that it will be WR Jackson @ IDGC

I learned a new word at Sugaree called agritourism which is placing an activity like disc golf on an active farm property (Christmas trees). I'm presuming there may be insurance, incentives and/or tax savings by doing so? I believe Houck had similar agricultural exemption/requirements when he developed his Circle R and San Saba course complexes.