• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Baggers

Who is Course Bagger #2?
In the "Top Baggers on Earth" tab, depending on which boxes you check, #2 is A.Lind or Teh_Wood. Are either of these the #2 that you meant?

While I'm at it... since the numbering seems off, who is #13 and #16? I assume that you are one of these...

I'm not sure where Mike is getting those numbers from but he means me, him, and Avery; who appear to be #'s 7, 18 and 21 to me (5, 16, and 19 if we exclude Teh_Wood and A.Lind).

That brings up an interesting stat. How may miles from home would you have "cleared out" if you only played the nearest courses to get up to your current count?

For me, I've played 516 and there are 516 courses within 175 miles of my zip code. So, it's like I've played every course within 175 miles.

Who has the largest radius?

Another wrinkle would be who has the most (and least) per mile? 516/175 is 2.95 courses per mile of radius.

I think I'm going to win this one with ease. I've played 1,879 courses. I can only see up to 450 miles from my zip code which only includes <640 courses.

Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Oklahoma combined have 1,799 current courses. That's the 9 nearest states to my house. And they still don't add up to my total. My radius to get to 1,879 courses seems like it would have to extend somewhere into middle/upper Missouri or the Carolinas, meaning that it would be 700-800 miles from my zip code.

To add, the 700-800 was actually driving distance. True radius would be 600-700. 600 would include St. Louis. 650 would include Kansas City. 700 would include Charlotte. Somewhere in there would be the true radius to get to 1,879. Probably somewhere near the middle of that range

I've played 469 courses. From my zip code, there are 469 non-practice/non-temporary courses within a 175.6-mile radius. (I've only played one temp course, Haywood Valley DGC, and zero practice courses.)

Next, I'll need to count how many of them I've played ...

Last edited:
That brings up an interesting stat. How may miles from home would you have "cleared out" if you only played the nearest courses to get up to your current count?

For me, I've played 516 and there are 516 courses within 175 miles of my zip code. So, it's like I've played every course within 175 miles.

Who has the largest radius?

Another wrinkle would be who has the most (and least) per mile? 516/175 is 2.95 courses per mile of radius.

my 161 courses gets me out to 163 miles. that's 161/163 = .99 course per mile radius.

Except for playing all of Texas, Pizza God will probably have the LEAST courses per mile of radius. That dude makes some insane 24 hour trips to play not very many holes in all kinds of far flung places. He is totally impressive in his obsession to play new courses!

Hey, PG, how many hours drive away is the closest course to you?

A new small milestone

On a much smaller scale, I recently completed a much smaller personal milestone of playing every course within a 1 hour drive of the center of Charlotte. (For convenience you could use Renny as the reference point.) Since Rock Hill and York County are the kings of small 9 hole school courses there are quite a few in this list; I'm guessing it's >100.

Even though I don't count Practice Areas in my "True" course count, I have thrown a disc into every basket listed on Udisc and DGCR within this 1 hr radius too.

Ok, for fun

From my zip code

25 Miles - 75 courses - 4 not played (camp course I have not tried to play, 3 "practice areas" 2 are on school properties

50 Miles - 113 courses - 6 not played (1 is a new course in Decatur and the other is a private one I have already attempted to play)

75 Miles - 138 courses - 10 not played (Van I have stopped at but it was took close to dark, 3 are private)

100 Miles - 179 courses - 11 not played (Have not played the redesigned Iron Spike yet in Palestine)

150 Miles - 263 courses - 17 not played

200 Miles - 502 courses - 37 not played

250 Miles - 781 courses - 62 not played

300 Miles - 971 courses - 87 not played

Going though the 87 not played, about 10 of them are practice area's like 2 baskets at a brewery. I will probably never play those.

At least 12 of them I have attempted to play and was not able to for various reasons.

More than 20 of them are on my mental "wish list" or courses on my radar I will be playing.

Found out about 2 new courses I had not noticed that have been added in.

Most of the 87 are camp or private courses that I have not even attempted to play or can't play like military courses.

I live on the east side of Cincinnati and had once played all the courses listed on DGCR out to a 100 mile radius.

...BUT I haven't done much road tripping in the last few years, ...folks have been installing new courses, ...and the uDisc mentality has led to folks adding the dgcr listings for dozens of private courses on here within that radius. I wonder how many of them wanted to remain unlisted?

213 courses net me a 93.5 mile radius for an average of 2.28 courses per mile. This is the first and last time I'll be thanking Michigan for anything :|

;)

Ok, for fun
From my zip code
25 Miles - 75 courses - 4 not played (camp course I have not tried to play, 3 "practice areas" 2 are on school properties
50 Miles - 113 courses - 6 not played (1 is a new course in Decatur and the other is a private one I have already attempted to play)
75 Miles - 138 courses - 10 not played (Van I have stopped at but it was took close to dark, 3 are private)
100 Miles - 179 courses - 11 not played (Have not played the redesigned Iron Spike yet in Palestine)
150 Miles - 263 courses - 17 not played
200 Miles - 502 courses - 37 not played
250 Miles - 781 courses - 62 not played
300 Miles - 971 courses - 87 not played
let's see i get:
55miles i have all 16courses.
100miles and missing 12 out of 34
150 - 48/103
over 150 & there is a lot more courses (i just realized i'm equidistance from 3 big cities)
my 161 courses gets me out to 163 miles. that's 161/163 = .99 course per mile radius.
so between 150miles & 170miles away there are 60courses.
guess i'm not the best bagger; i do love to play new courses, but i guess i don't have the travel commitment to collect them all

I've played 469 courses. From my zip code, there are 469 non-practice/non-temporary courses within a 175.6-mile radius. (I've only played one temp course, Haywood Valley DGC, and zero practice courses.)

Next, I'll need to count how many of them I've played ...

Wow. There are 210 courses (though a few are listed as "unplayable" currently) of the 469 that I haven't played. Of course, most of those are 90-175.6 miles away.

Makes sense, though. I tend to plan specific trips to areas with lots of courses versus trying to hit every course within that radius.

I dont know what happened and while I knew there were 2 guys with more than 2000 courses listed, they didnt appear in my "search" for some reason. Ill take another look, It was Casey Cox Myself and Avery Jenkins

There are 250 courses & practice areas within a 300 mile radius of where I live on DGCR. I have played all but 4 of them. Of those 4 they are:

One is in Mexico
One is on an island
One is in another state
One is on a private camp.

Tough to play those!!!!

I think I'm going to win this one with ease. I've played 1,879 courses. I can only see up to 450 miles from my zip code which only includes <640 courses.

Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Oklahoma combined have 1,799 current courses. That's the 9 nearest states to my house. And they still don't add up to my total. My radius to get to 1,879 courses seems like it would have to extend somewhere into middle/upper Missouri or the Carolinas, meaning that it would be 700-800 miles from my zip code.

I actually think @brentjacobs would give you a run for your money. He's at around 600 courses, but lives in Montana, which isn't exactly known for its plethora of courses.

I've put a 3-hour 1/2 circle around Virginia Beach (that darn ocean) with Walnut Creek Charlottesville the furthest distance at 182 miles, just about all I-64 arriving in 2hrs 45mins when I made the bag. I've bagged 107 courses and putting a 200-mile limit there are 158 courses listed on DGCR. Just about all of the courses I haven't played are closer than Walnut Creek, but the travel is slower takes me past 3 hours, and perhaps sometime later I'll make the trip. Creekside in New Bern, NC at 169 miles took me more than 3 hr to return back home some two-lane roads and passing thru small towns slowed the travel down.

About two dozen courses I would like to bag, but I'm back to my pre-covid schedule and busy so my trips are now far and few in between. There are other courses where there is this reason for that reason not to bag such as brewery courses that don't open until later in the day when I need to be on my way home or just too long to get there.

Next bag in a few weeks Pine Valley in Petersburg, Va a new course and shorter trip, and maybe the following day elsewhere.

The closes course not bagged right here in Virginia Beach at Virginia Wesleyan University a private course just 14 miles away, and the property protected like Fort Knox. Security will turn you away.

What I've noticed is a lot of private object courses opening up in the past year mostly around Richmond, including one guy using crates as targets. I'm one and done with object courses.

At about 150 miles, there are 257 courses. I've tallied over 300 total. I'm more focused on courses within my home state of Iowa. That 150 mile radius takes in a handful of Missouri courses. There are a number of courses that I have not played close in due to them being private (a mix of campgrounds and summer camps).

Still trying to work up the list of baggers for my state and sit 4th. At 76.9% (257/334) I'm just behind the incomparable DerekTonn by 6 (for the state of Iowa), KingDavid64 by 17 and discgolfiowa with his 94% (314/344). I do have a couple of pockets I'm missing (most notable the Quad Cities area), but these are mostly a 2.5 to 3 hour drive one way.

Most of my trips are one day runs on Fridays with me having it off and the wife having to work. May get her to take a long weekend with my in that area next year. Hope to move to 2nd by the end of 2023 (for the state of Iowa anyway)